The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
desert island 500 series pre for vocals 500 Series Preamps
Old 13th September 2011
  #31
Lives for gear
 
ScumBum's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
I have plenty of experience with the various 312 based preamps on the market. There's not a lot that you can do to dramatically alter that circuit. It's possible it could sound marginally better on vocals than the dozens of other preamps which also have copied that same exact circuit. But, I'm not convinced that is the case after trying the large majority of other copies on the market... And not particularly loving any of them on vocals when compared to a Neve-ish unit.

None of them would be an option over an MA5 for vocals, specifically. But, that doesn't mean you can't make a good recording with any one of the 312 copies out there (API 512, BAE 312a, etc).
I was just joking with you .

But actually the VP26 is not a 312 clone . The VP26 is based on the mic pres in a 70's api console and sounds different from the 312 .



I haven't tried this but its Neve-ish 500 series " AML ez1073-500 " , $895 , they are in the UK . Audio Maintenance Limited - online store homepage I saw they have kits but you can also buy it assembled . http://classicapi.com/catalog/produc...roducts_id=239
Old 13th September 2011
  #32
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumBum View Post
I was just joking with you .

But actually the VP26 is not a 312 clone . The VP26 is based on the mic pres in a 70's api console and sounds different from the 312 .
It's the same transformer > op amp > transformer design API has used since 1967. We refer to it as the "312" style circuit and it has been copied by dozens of manufacturers with little alteration (different transformer or op amp, etc... It still the same basic design).

I'm curious... Do you work for Classic API, or are you just a fanboy who might fall into the emotionally attached group I referred to earlier in this thread? It seems like a hefty majority of your posts surround this manufacturer's products.
Old 13th September 2011
  #33
Gear Nut
 
jacksonburn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
I'm curious... Do you work for Classic API, or are you just a fanboy who might fall into the emotionally attached group I referred to earlier in this thread? It seems like a hefty majority of your posts surround this manufacturer's products.
This sort of nonsense is completely uncalled for from a retailer and especially a moderator.
Old 14th September 2011
  #34
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonburn View Post
This sort of nonsense is completely uncalled for from a retailer and especially a moderator.
It's an honest question.

And, I have no problem with people posting that work for various manufacturer's... But they need to clarify their affiliations in their signature per the forum rules.
Old 14th September 2011
  #35
Lives for gear
 
ScumBum's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
It's the same transformer > op amp > transformer design API has used since 1967. We refer to it as the "312" style circuit and it has been copied by dozens of manufacturers with little alteration (different transformer or op amp, etc... It still the same basic design).

I'm curious... Do you work for Classic API, or are you just a fanboy who might fall into the emotionally attached group I referred to earlier in this thread? It seems like a hefty majority of your posts surround this manufacturer's products.
They don't sound the same . The VP26 sounds VERY different from a 312 , it uses a different smaller output transformer . It sounds WAAAAYYY different from 512c , which I did own for years and then sold after hearing and trying the VP26 .

I don't work for CAPI and I don't know anybody who does . You say I'm in the "emotionally attached group" , how about instead the " Tried the product and was blown away by the sound " group .

Funny thing is I'm not affiliated with CAPI at all , I don't make any money or have any ties from them . Just an average engineer who loves the sound .

You though are a dealer who makes money selling the MA5 and diss anyone who recommends anything else .
Old 14th September 2011
  #36
Gear Nut
 

I'll give some more serious love for the Avedis MA5 for vocals. I love mine. It's got plenty of clarity but also has some thickness that I really like.

Lately I've also been using a Great River MP2NV - exact same as their 500 pre as far as I know. It's a phenomenal preamp as well. It's incredibly versatile with the impedance loading, and the balance of input and output. It doesn't have quite the thickness of the MA5, but it's just an outstanding pre-amp and I'm really happy to have the stereo pair.

I also have a JLM NV500 pre that I've used for vocals. It's a great sounding pre, too, although I don't love it quite as much for lead vocals as the MA5 or the Great River. It's a good runner up though. I love it for acoustic guitar!

With products this good though it's all kind of splitting hairs. All three are killer pres.

Last edited by gearjones; 14th September 2011 at 12:26 AM.. Reason: mistake
Old 14th September 2011
  #37
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumBum View Post
They don't sound the same . The VP26 sounds VERY different from a 312 , it uses a different smaller output transformer . It sounds WAAAAYYY different from 512c , which I did own for years and then sold after hearing and trying the VP26 .

I don't work for CAPI and I don't know anybody who does . You say I'm in the "emotionally attached group" , how about instead the " Tried the product and was blown away by the sound " group .

Funny thing is I'm not affiliated with CAPI at all , I don't make any money or have any ties from them . Just an average engineer who loves the sound .

You though are a dealer who makes money selling the MA5 and diss anyone who recommends anything else .
I said they are the same basic DESIGN! I never stated that they sound "the same"... but, as someone who has owned, used or sold various API consoles/ preamps)... I feel qualified to say that they're all in the same family of sound (and if these sound like the vintage modules I'm familiar with, they shouldn't be that far off).

But, you are correct... I am a dealer. I sell the MA5, and dozens of other 500 series units.

The MA5 is a remarkable piece of engineering. It's not another 312 copy with a different transformer or op amp that we've seen so often in the 500 series. And, it sounds amazing.... And that's why I say such good things about it. Not because I have a shelf full of them, or someone is telling me what to sell.

And, the question about whether or not you work for CAPI was completely understandable given your post history. I actually thought you worked for them (I think another member originally mentioned this). Sorry if I offended you in any way, as that was not my intention.. but, the one good thing that has come out of this is we now know you don't work for this manufacturer.
Old 14th September 2011
  #38
My desert Island will have some API 512c's, a pair of Great River MP500NV's, some Purple BIZ MK's and DEFINITELY the Purple PANTS, [those purple preamps are meaty and beautiful] and some Burl Audio B1's, those things are powerful sounding, and I wanna take down some cement walls on my island. I also like the Shinybox "SI" for "clean", with my newly acquired 46U, but I've been rocking the SI4 four channel 19" rack version, which is a great value I feel. Used that chain on vocals the other night and it was just the right sound that the client called "special". I find those are great preamps for dynamics and ribbons, so they are handy to have around. You might also try the MAAG Audio PREq4, that thing has an overload of fidelity going on and the Air Band sound is dope for vocals.
Old 14th September 2011
  #39
Lives for gear
 
bexarametric's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonburn View Post
This sort of nonsense is completely uncalled for from a retailer and especially a moderator.

I wouldn't go down that road. I did it once and recieved an infraction. If I were running this site, I would not have a gear dealer as a moderator. But I don't run this site, so I can't really complain.

The bottom line is that if we are all capable engineers, we can make just about any 500 series pre work for us. And for the most part, we're the only ones that care. But that is what this site is for. It's a place that allows us to dork out about things that most of our clients don't care about.
Old 14th September 2011
  #40
Lives for gear
 
ScumBum's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
I said they are the same basic DESIGN! I never stated that they sound "the same"... but, as someone who has owned, used or sold various API consoles/ preamps)... I feel qualified to say that they're all in the same family of sound (and if these sound like the vintage modules I'm familiar with, they shouldn't be that far off).

But, you are correct... I am a dealer. I sell the MA5, and dozens of other 500 series units.

The MA5 is a remarkable piece of engineering. It's not another 312 copy with a different transformer or op amp that we've seen so often in the 500 series. And, it sounds amazing.... And that's why I say such good things about it. Not because I have a shelf full of them, or someone is telling me what to sell.

And, the question about whether or not you work for CAPI was completely understandable given your post history. I actually thought you worked for them (I think another member originally mentioned this). Sorry if I offended you in any way, as that was not my intention.. but, the one good thing that has come out of this is we now know you don't work for this manufacturer.
No worries heh

I just like the sound of a vintage api 3232 console . To me thats a desert Island pre that sounds good on anything .
Old 14th September 2011
  #41
Lives for gear
 
drmmrboy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Avedis MA5.
API & MA5. Big fan of 87 -> ma5 -> 1176 vocal sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
Seems like there's a lot recording happening on desert islands...mmmm Where's Mary Ann?heh
I was always liked Mary Ann, but Ginger, not so much.
Old 14th September 2011
  #42
Gear Head
 

thanks alot folks for the input,

looks like the ma5 is on top of my list, say for example i put elysia xpressor or a bac500 into the mix, is there any 500 series pre that really shines with either those compressor combo's?
Old 15th September 2011
  #43
Lives for gear
 
Guitar Zero's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC_Productions View Post
thanks alot folks for the input,

looks like the ma5 is on top of my list, say for example i put elysia xpressor or a bac500 into the mix, is there any 500 series pre that really shines with either those compressor combo's?
I've tried a bunch of 500 series comps. The Buzz Elixir would be my first choice for a good vocal comp. Really nice opto transformer sound. The BAC really has some hair and can sound great too. The Buzz just puts a nice honey coated sheen on things that sounds good on vocals. The BAC can be more aggressive and add a little more hair, if you know what I mean. The purple comp was really disappointing to me; just pinched and grainy sounding on vocals. YMMV though. Again, try a bunch and keep the ones you love.
Old 15th September 2011
  #44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Zero View Post
I had a pair of juggernauts In fact, the juggernauts sound fantastic and are way more versatile. The impedence switch is a great feature. The ability to switch out input and output transformers was a great feature. But the rub for me was that I spent so much time tweaking, that it gave me paralysis of analysis, always trying to decide which sounded better. With the ma5, turn it on, adjust the input and output level, adjust the mic position and record. Wallah, great sound every time.
To be fair you make it sound a lot more complicated than it is. On a 500 Juggernaut it's

1. Choose type of input (nickel or iron)

2. Twist impedance knob somewhere between left and right

3. Decide if you want to pad output, or not. Jugg output pad is fixed, which is slightly quicker than variable if we are talking about seconds here.

No, it's not a 30 second setup (IME it's literally a couple minutes to make the decision at the very max, which is a lot shorter than I can take on other things), but I can't imagine those above three things causing any type of paralysis to an engineer of even a moderate amount of experience.

Once you get to know what the functions do, its easy and practical to predict how a certain setting will sound ahead of time and go directly to it, just like you would do with any other preamp.
Old 15th September 2011
  #45
Lives for gear
 
Guitar Zero's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
To be fair you make it sound a lot more complicated than it is. On a 500 Juggernaut it's

1. Choose type of input (nickel or iron)

2. Twist impedance knob somewhere between left and right

3. Decide if you want to pad output, or not. Jugg output pad is fixed, which is slightly quicker than variable if we are talking about seconds here.

No, it's not a 30 second setup (IME it's literally a couple minutes to make the decision at the very max, which is a lot shorter than I can take on other things), but I can't imagine those above three things causing any type of paralysis to an engineer of even a moderate amount of experience.

Once you get to know what the functions do, its easy and practical to predict how a certain setting will sound ahead of time and go directly to it, just like you would do with any other preamp.
Nathan,
I loved the juggs, but it wasn't the twisting of the knobs that caused the paralysis, it was listening to all the choices and trying to decide which one sounded the best. Now that the 19" two channel juggernaut is out, I've been seriously considering trying it out. For one thing, you can change BOTH input and output transformers with the flick of a switch instead of taking the unit out of your 500 series power supply, unscrewing one of the transformers and screwing the other one back in, only to decide you liked it better the other way.

I'm really not slagging the juggs. They sound fantastic, and we got some great recordings from them. We just opted for simplicity over versatility. That's a fair assessment, I think. Just sharing my own personal experience.

Bottom line, there are a number of 500 series pres that can give you an outstanding vocal recording. It's all a matter of which flavor you prefer, really. The juggs give lots of different flavors. The ma5 pretty much just one, but it's one we really like.
Old 15th September 2011
  #46
More cowbell!
 
natpub's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bexarametric View Post
I wouldn't go down that road...
word

Anyyyyyway, I think trying to find the most ubiquitous pre for vox still has to fall back on asking what styles of music are usually done. I don't believe any single thing is always gonna be best. That said, plenty of great records were done with nothing but just the console pres off API's, MCI's, Raindirk, Harrison, Quad Eights, etc. I'd debate that mics and comps have way more bearing, and any top shelf pre will get the job done.
Old 15th September 2011
  #47
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Zero View Post
Nathan,
I loved the juggs, but it wasn't the twisting of the knobs that caused the paralysis, it was listening to all the choices and trying to decide which one sounded the best. Now that the 19" two channel juggernaut is out, I've been seriously considering trying it out. For one thing, you can change BOTH input and output transformers with the flick of a switch instead of taking the unit out of your 500 series power supply, unscrewing one of the transformers and screwing the other one back in, only to decide you liked it better the other way.

I'm really not slagging the juggs. They sound fantastic, and we got some great recordings from them. We just opted for simplicity over versatility. That's a fair assessment, I think. Just sharing my own personal experience.

Bottom line, there are a number of 500 series pres that can give you an outstanding vocal recording. It's all a matter of which flavor you prefer, really. The juggs give lots of different flavors. The ma5 pretty much just one, but it's one we really like.
I had the same feeling about decisions, liking more what is giving me an instant tone (like you said) even if lately I'm using the twin on nickel-nickel.. I like it a lot, and it's easy!

I don't know if the DI of the Jugg500 is the same of the DI of the Juggeraut Twin (I guess so), I own the twin, but I have to admit that the DI is a godsend for any bass player!
Seriously sounds really great! Every bass you plug in, seems just to come out right, barely any eq is needed IME.. (it's almost shocking)
When you try the Twin, plug in a bass in the DI, and you'll never let it go.. heh

Just my 0.02$,
back to the thread..



Cheu
Old 15th September 2011
  #48
Lives for gear
 
Melgueil's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
the DI is a godsend for any bass player!
That would be applicable to the Great River. If you are a bass player - look no further. I do not own the Jugg - but have has the GR for years. Not letting it go.

As this is about vocals: why do the API pre's (312/512) consistently get low marks on this board for vocals ? For the record, I do not own one, but I find it curious there are so many who say that the API's are not well suited for vocals. I think Stevie Wonder's Innervisions was done on an API console - sounds just fine to me ?

I currently track with Great River, but would be interested hearing form someone who has tracked with both.
Cdlt
Old 15th September 2011
  #49
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
Of course it all depends on the vocalist and style of music.

I've owned and used SH Gama, La Chapelle 583's, Biz's, API 512B's, 512C's, and the CAPI VP-26's, D&R's and Neve clones. These days, I reach for the vp-26's first. Don't always stay there. but I'm really digging them. To me they are quite a bit different (with a great vibe) than either the 512B's or C's.
Old 15th September 2011
  #50
Lives for gear
 
skybluerental's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
I said they are the same basic DESIGN! I never stated that they sound "the same"... but, as someone who has owned, used or sold various API consoles/ preamps)... I feel qualified to say that they're all in the same family of sound (and if these sound like the vintage modules I'm familiar with, they shouldn't be that far off).

But, you are correct... I am a dealer. I sell the MA5, and dozens of other 500 series units.

The MA5 is a remarkable piece of engineering. It's not another 312 copy with a different transformer or op amp that we've seen so often in the 500 series. And, it sounds amazing.... And that's why I say such good things about it. Not because I have a shelf full of them, or someone is telling me what to sell.

And, the question about whether or not you work for CAPI was completely understandable given your post history. I actually thought you worked for them (I think another member originally mentioned this). Sorry if I offended you in any way, as that was not my intention.. but, the one good thing that has come out of this is we now know you don't work for this manufacturer.
first off, have you ever heard the CAPI VP26?
it seems to me like you are sitting there making a lot of assumptions about the sound of a unit you have never heard.
i have owned 312’s and had them side by side with the VP26’s.
THEY DO NOT SOUND THE SAME.

i mean, you are sitting here pimping the MA5 which YOU SELL and at the same time criticizing someone (who is not pimping) for having great things to say about a piece of gear they really like, that oh by the way you do not sell.

honestly, if anything, you come off like an Avedis fanboy here.
or an Aveids pimp.
either way, those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

by the way, i have used both the CAPI and the MA5.
both are great.
the CAPI’s are cheaper and to me that makes them a better value.
sonically, neither one beats the other, they are both equally great.

as far as i know, jeff works alone. he is great to deal with and has a really cool thing going.

moderators should NOT be acting this way.
where is Jules anyway???
Old 15th September 2011
  #51
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluerental View Post
first off, have you ever heard the CAPI VP26?
it seems to me like you are sitting there making a lot of assumptions about the sound of a unit you have never heard.
i have owned 312’s and had them side by side with the VP26’s.
THEY DO NOT SOUND THE SAME.
I've used and sold various vintage API consoles over the years (with the exact same preamp that these are based on)... I feel qualified enough to be familiar with the sound they are trying to emulate... and qualified to know that it is not the sound I am looking for specifically for vocals (over a 1073, GTQ2, MA5, etc).

And, some people here take the whole dealer thing way to serious... It seems like they would prefer for me to only sell crap that I hate, that way I can talk about the stuff I love without a conflict of interest. Every moderator has a conflict of interest to some degree. Every moderator has to make a living... Some of them are manufacturers, dealers, plugin developers, studio monitor makers, and some of them own studios. I feel like all of them including myself do the best they can within their individual sub-forums. And the degree of outrage you are showing is a bit much... all because I am a fan of something other than the thing you love. If you were to replace the words MA5 with VP26 in my posts, you would be giving me thumbs up... rather than discussing my moderator status.
Old 15th September 2011
  #52
Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
Seems like there's a lot recording happening on desert islands...mmmm Where's Mary Ann?heh

haha
Really....actually where's both Ginger and Mary Ann?

I think I'd be taking them over mic preamps if I was stranded.
I love recording and all but man...

john
Old 15th September 2011
  #53
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Of course it all depends on the vocalist and style of music.

I've owned and used SH Gama, La Chapelle 583's, Biz's, API 512B's, 512C's, and the CAPI VP-26's, D&R's and Neve clones. These days, I reach for the vp-26's first. Don't always stay there. but I'm really digging them. To me they are quite a bit different (with a great vibe) than either the 512B's or C's.

Right I like them. Mine don't always stay where I try them either though. They do work on a bunch of sources, but on some thing's I am not really a big fan, but I could use them if it came to it on whatever.

I'd have to say if I could ONLY have one, it would be a Hardy Twin Servo or something. This is not 500, but it's supposed to be coming right?

I love the character and color thing, but what if you need to get nice and clean?

Chances are your tape path is going to be getting pretty dirty and effed up on a desert island anyway, what with all that sand and no alcohol...

j
Old 15th September 2011
  #54
Lives for gear
 
ScumBum's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
I've used and sold various vintage API consoles over the years (with the exact same preamp that these are based on)... I feel qualified enough to be familiar with the sound they are trying to emulate... and qualified to know that it is not the sound I am looking for specifically for vocals (over a 1073, GTQ2, MA5, etc).

And, some people here take the whole dealer thing way to serious... It seems like they would prefer for me to only sell crap that I hate, that way I can talk about the stuff I love without a conflict of interest. Every moderator has a conflict of interest to some degree. Every moderator has to make a living... Some of them are manufacturers, dealers, plugin developers, studio monitor makers, and some of them own studios. I feel like all of them including myself do the best they can within their individual sub-forums. And the degree of outrage you are showing is a bit much... all because I am a fan of something other than the thing you love. If you were to replace the words MA5 with VP26 in my posts, you would be giving me thumbs up... rather than discussing my moderator status.
Its not because your a Mod and a dealer , its the attituded that came across , "Other posters don't know what they're talking about . They're not using their ears but are only emotionally attached to what they bought , so to them this certain pre is the best . " Which can be true alot of the times , but as a Mod and dealer , you should really stay neutral .

You could pimp MA5 all day in every thread and no one would care . Its just the negativity trying to put other people down for their opinions . The OP didn't say in the first post "I only want feedback from people who have tried at least 6 different pres . " He just said , post what you think is your desert island vocal pre . So thats open to EVERYBODY to state their opinion and everyone should openly state what they like .

No hard feelings , ,
Old 15th September 2011
  #55
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Many of the posts in these open ended/ opinion based threads will consist of people recommending the thing they bought.... because let's face it, this stuff isn't cheap and some folks can get quite emotionally attached to their gear. So, it's refreshing when people clarify if they've tried a half dozen other units, or not.
This is one of my main gripes about internet gear reviews. How can a person with little hardware experience give meaningful insight? The guys I've talked with face to face that have the most experience tend to be less forceful about gear choices, especially on preamps and hardware EQs. They are more opinionated on mics, compressors and monitors, but still often reiterate that there are many serviceable pieces of gear, even in the moderate price range.
Old 15th September 2011
  #56
Lives for gear
 
ScumBum's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncamorea View Post
This is one of my main gripes about internet gear reviews. How can a person with little hardware experience give meaningful insight? The guys I've talked with face to face that have the most experience tend to be less forceful about gear choices, especially on preamps and hardware EQs. They are more opinionated on mics, compressors and monitors, but still often reiterate that there are many serviceable pieces of gear, even in the moderate price range.
I've had the same experience . Whenever I worked with engineers that have like 30 years of experience , they laughed about Gearslutz , that people sit around discussing gear , they thought it was a joke . All the older engineers only seemed to care about mics and monitors . Their thing is , get a High End mic , plug it into a High End mic pre and press record , thats all you need to do .
Old 15th September 2011
  #57
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Quote:
"Other posters don't know what they're talking about . They're not using their ears but are only emotionally attached to what they bought , so to them this certain pre is the best . "
Just for clarification, I have never said that here or anywhere else.

Anyway, I would be happy to discuss gear, audio circuits (differences between 312 style copies, VP26, and MA5), etc... but have no interest in continuing a sidetrack discussion about "me".
Old 15th September 2011
  #58
Lives for gear
 
ScumBum's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
"You should get the XYZ, because I bought it and I love it and you, should too. Even though I have no idea what anything else sounds like, and I have no idea what your tastes in sound, music or anything else is." heh
Kinda sounds like it here to me . But I'll drop it now ,
Old 16th September 2011
  #59
Lives for gear
 
skybluerental's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
I've used and sold various vintage API consoles over the years (with the exact same preamp that these are based on)... I feel qualified enough to be familiar with the sound they are trying to emulate... and qualified to know that it is not the sound I am looking for specifically for vocals (over a 1073, GTQ2, MA5, etc).

And, some people here take the whole dealer thing way to serious... It seems like they would prefer for me to only sell crap that I hate, that way I can talk about the stuff I love without a conflict of interest. Every moderator has a conflict of interest to some degree. Every moderator has to make a living... Some of them are manufacturers, dealers, plugin developers, studio monitor makers, and some of them own studios. I feel like all of them including myself do the best they can within their individual sub-forums. And the degree of outrage you are showing is a bit much... all because I am a fan of something other than the thing you love. If you were to replace the words MA5 with VP26 in my posts, you would be giving me thumbs up... rather than discussing my moderator status.
i have no reason to doubt that you have experience with API gear and also that you know what you like. i think it is great that you sell the gear you like and also respect your opinions about what you like. i have no problem with moderators who sell gear, but when they start making statements that make dubious assumptions about other members and belittle the opinions of others, it is taking it a bit too far in my opinion.

as i said, i think MA5’s are GREAT on anything. i dont disagree with you there.
but to say that the people who are offering their opinions about equipment that you have never heard dont know what to listen for or are only saying that because that is what they bought is to assume a lot of things, that in this case, are far from the truth. i have owned or used every pre amp you have mentioned here, and my opinion is that the CAPI is the best.

many of us here are familiar with a lot of different types of gear and we will all have varying opinions. that is one of the beauties of subjective material such as sound.
it should be embraced, not rejected.

by the way, i like reading your posts most of the time and generally like the same gear you say you like.
Old 17th September 2011
  #60
500 series nutjob
 
pan60's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC_Productions View Post
hi guys,

any suggestions on a single 500 series pre that will play nice with vocals Both Male&female?

basically i'm looking for a single 500 series pre and simply change mic for tone/colour/character etc, what pre would you guys recommend?

im trying to stick with a 1 slot pre but might consider a 2 slot pre, i live in the UK and find it hard to demo any 500 series gear at all, so i can only go by gut feeling and recommendations.

Cheers
LOL
i hate the desert island choice, i would hate to choose only one.
my personal all around recommendation would be;
A-Designs P-1
i haves other i love i would say i love as much, but the P-1 is one of my top most picks.
having said that i have a number of pres i like, for a number of different applications, and it is not my top pick for some heavy handed color.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump