The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chameleon Labs Opto Compressor Kicks A$$! (w/ Clips) Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Chameleon Labs Opto Compressor Kicks A$$! (w/ Clips)

Man, I don't really see too much buzz on these things on here for some reason. They sound really great and work well on just about everything I've thrown them on. Here's a sample vocal track I did on one. I highly recommend giving one a try. Here's a song i produced and sung. CL was used on all vocals. Song is unmastered so you can hear it working.

Chain is..

Peluso 2247=> Fivefish x72 (Carnhill) 500 Series Pre => Chameleon Labs 7802 => Lexicon PCM 70 => Apogee Rosetta 800

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2727776/Chri...Feat%20Los.mp3
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah the 7802 is great. It really did fly under everyone's radar and I can't figure out why either!
Only problem I had with mine is it's laid out backwards internally from most gear I own, in that the torroid is on the left and the output transformers are on the right, so if I put a piece of gear like my gssl right above or below it in my rack I get a serious amount of hum.

Other than that it's a fantastic unit. I love what it does to vocals.
Old 12th September 2011
Hey, nice song.

This clip seems to have a super slooowwww or looong attack time dialed in on the verse vocals though. At the top of the bar, it sounds, nice and up front / bright, present. By the end of the bar though, the gain reduction seems to be dragging the signal down in volume, and it is also darker too. It's like going, going, going kinda gone?

What is this, a 3-4 second attack time? How long of a release?

Is it sidechained? There is no other dsp comp on it or on the two bus?

Nice song, but the compression sounds ...a bit strange maybe.

I'm sure it's a nice box, and again GREAT SONG...nice writing and performance! The instruments sound nice.

Peace,
john

Last edited by NEWTON IN ORBIT; 12th September 2011 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: typo and duplicate post
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I think youre hearing the distortion I added after the plate verb makes it sound pumpy. There are only 2 vocal tracks on the hooks, the compressor makes it sound like there a lot more than just 2 tracks in my opinion. Just awesome for layering.
Old 12th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by prslespaul View Post
I think youre hearing the distortion I added after the plate verb makes it sound pumpy. There are only 2 vocal tracks on the hooks, the compressor makes it sound like there a lot more than just 2 tracks in my opinion. Just awesome for layering.

Sorry, no I hear that...and it's kinda cool, but I'm talking about the verses. Not the hooks.

Listen closely, it's not HUGE, but it is sucking the life outta your vocals a bit at the end of phrases. The gain reduction is slowly dropping the level, like a slow fade, and not all the way out of course, just a couple db or so. While this is happening, the signal is getting darker too.

I've run into this a few times with old compressors. Hard to dial in, and sometimes you just gotta suck it up some, take the bad w/ the good I guess. Opto's are not the most responsive comps in the world, just the way it is.

What attack time (ballpark) are you using?

If it's not the CL, is it something else? Any plugins on there with it?

Just trying to help, because if you get it dialed in perfectly, this song is gonna be bangin'.

Good luck man!
john
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Solo'd the track sounds fine, i wonder if its the o.dubs on his tracks creating phase cancellation? If I remember right I had it running pretty slow and just dialed in the compression knob to taste. It seemed to have a better effect to the vocals then running it fast and hard. Thanks for the kind words!
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

I picked one up a few months ago and havnt really talked about it too much on here. Kinda like my new secret weapon. Seriously, its really that good. I don't know if you mix otb like me but if you think its good on vox, try putting it on the old 2 bus! It makes my mixes sound like I almost know what I'm doing.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Gearslutz.com App

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search