The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MUSIC SOUND WORSE AND WORSE every decade. Is it true? Modular Synthesizers
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Scientific facts and findings . . .

From my large record and CD collection, the 40's sound best. Some of the 50's was good, as well as some 60's. Then it started getting weird. Some of later stuff is ok, but it started getting too manufactured, layered, and signal processed.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
US Number 1's 1966
Simon and Garfunkel - The Sounds of Silence
Beatles - We Can Work It Out
Petula Clark - My Love
Lou Christie - Lightnin' Strikes
Nancy Sinatra - These Boots Are Made for Walkin'
Sgt. Barry Sadler - Ballad of the Green Beret
Righteous Brothers - (You're My) Soul and Inspiration
Young Rascals - Good Lovin'
Mamas and Papas - Monday Monday
Percy Sledge - When A Man Loves A Woman
Rolling Stones - Paint It Black
Beatles - Paperback Writer
Frank Sinatra - Strangers In The Night
Tommy James and The Shondells - Hanky Panky
Troggs - Wild Thing
Lovin' Spoonful - Summer In The City
Donovan - Sunshine Superman
Supremes - You Can't Hurry Love
Association - Cherish
Four Tops - Reach Out, I'll Be There
Question Mark and The Mysterians - 96 Tears
Monkees - Last Train To Clarksville
Johnny Rivers - Poor Side of Town
Supremes - You Keep Me Hangin On
New Vaudeville Band - Winchester Cathedral
Beach Boys - Good Vibrations
Monkees - I'm A Believer

US Number 1's 2006
Mariah Carey - Don't Forget About Us
D4L - Laffy Taffy
Nelly feat. Paul Wall, Ali and Gipp -Grillz
Beyoncé feat. Slim Thug - Check on It
James Blunt - You're Beautiful
Ne-Yo - So Sick
Sean Paul - Temperature
Daniel Powter - Bad Day
Rihanna - SOS
Chamillionaire feat. Krayzie Bone - Ridin'
Shakira feat. Wyclef Jean - Hips Don't Lie
Taylor Hicks - Do I Make You Proud
Nelly Furtado feat. Timbaland - Promiscuous
Fergie - London Bridge
Justin Timberlake - SexyBack
Ludacris feat. Pharrell - Money Maker
Justin Timberlake feat. T.I. - My Love
Akon feat. Snoop Dogg - I Wanna Love You
Beyonce - Irreplaceable

Which lot would you rather take to a desert island?

YIKES!!! That's quite telling
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Maniac

my 2 cents!
Main reason for (some) of the music sounding crap - )there is still loads of great records being made & mixed today) are record labels!

Everyone has a "studio" and everyone is producer / engineer / mixer today
Record labels are main culprits! They don't care about studios / gear / rooms any more! All they care is "can you do it for less" ?
With that in mind, lots of so called "studios" (budget rooms / budget gear / budget monitors are being used ), and results are clear - crap!

Also, people dont spend enough time on music / mix / production AND arranging (very important).
To someone new in business, EVERYTHING will sound good!
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear
video killed the radio star!
seriously though,i think the visuals have played a big part in allowing records to become more production line and samey. I know what Chris Brown looks like but I couldnt be sure it was him just by the sound of his voice or the sound of the record
But there is some great music of all types out there,it is just that traditional pop and rock have been hit hard by technological changes and a lot of it has had the guts ripped out of it
I do believe that it is not a fatal blow and modern technology can be used to make it easier to bring out the best rather than just cover up the worst.
Otherwise I would give up
Old 12th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveschizoid View Post
I doubt that even one of the current crop will be remembered 45 years from now, except perhaps as part of an entire generation's worth of music blighted by the cookie cutter application of one silly effect.
In talking about the current lineup of RnB, pop puppets I think you're right. I think stuff like the better Katy Perry and even Lady Gaga will last in the same way the early Madonna and Kylie stuff is still played as "retro classics", and the Britney/Christina stuff from the 90s. Not saying that's a good thing, just that pop music will always sound dated 10 years on, and it doesn't stop people from dancing to Kylie at 80s discos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Alex View Post
Interesting. I didn't know that things changed. Thnks.
no probs
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lab View Post
I think you will find some of your answers to why your speakers don't lie ! Enjoy reading (+ congrats to SOS magazine for such article)

‘Dynamic Range’ & The Loudness War
Please read the article. He was not talking about song writing or content...but the quality of sound...
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Please read the article. He was not talking about song writing or content...but the quality of sound...
Rip Rowen wrote a similar article in Prorec more than ten years ago, and a similar piece for Wired not much later. This isn't new and it is getting worse, but is only the tip of the iceberg, so to speak.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
loudness war and dynamic only apply to the main stream records, not indie.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc449 View Post
loudness war and dynamic only apply to the main stream records, not indie.
Indie just means Independant label. I find the same problem with indie produced CDs

Just my 2 cents
Cheers
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
US Number 1's 1966
Petula Clark - My Love
Troggs - Wild Thing
Association - Cherish
Monkees - I'm A Believer

US Number 1's 2006
D4L - Laffy Taffy
Ne-Yo - So Sick
Sean Paul - Temperature
Daniel Powter - Bad Day
Rihanna - SOS
Fergie - London Bridge
Beyonce - Irreplaceable

I would rather take Shakira and Beyonce with me to a desert island than Simon and Garfunkle or the Mamas and Papas...especially if its a clothing-is-optional desert island.

Seriously: music critique, like all art appreciation, is a purely subjective process. There is no general archetype of good music: one persons' favorite is another persons' most hated.

As far as writing goes: I respect artists that succesfully combine positive lyrical messages with brilliant melodic and harmonic devices, all in compositions and production that is still appealing to the masses at that time. After all, money is handy and fame gives you the access to get your message out there.

And the instrument/production snobbery many of us cling to (strats, marshalls, hammonds, leslies, wurlys, teles, les pauls, tube gear etc) is simply clinging to familiar colors we are comfortable painting with. I'm sure Hendrix would have embraced samplers, appregiators, digital effects, drum machines, synths etc had he survived his excesses to witness their development and use them in his music. Musicians in the past HAD to master dificult instruments so they could reproduce what was in they're heads. Now musical artists can paint with technology and not have to rely on other people so much to complete a project. Or win the A&R lotto just to have access to recording equipment sufficient for properly recording, producing, mixing and mastering an album.

Well that's enough ranting, back to work with my '52 Tele, Gibson SG, organ w/1970 Leslie speaker, neve preamps, Fender Rhodes etc...

Joe Walsh for President in 2012!!!!
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Cameron View Post
I would rather take Shakira and Beyonce with me to a desert island than Simon and Garfunkle or the Mamas and Papas...especially if its a clothing-is-optional desert island.
I dunno... Michelle Phillips was a fine piece of ass "back then". You could always eat Mama Cass jerky until you were rescued too. John would probably have a good drug stash. Garfunkle would be nothing but trouble though.

Of course, Shakira and Beyonce seem really healthy heh They could do a lot of work on the island.

Hmm... I'm going with Michelle, Shakira, Beyonce and John's stash. And I don't mean "must-"!
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
I'm sure Hendrix would have embraced samplers, appregiators, digital effects, drum machines, synths etc had he survived his excesses to witness their development and use them in his music. Musicians in the past HAD to master dificult instruments so they could reproduce what was in they're heads. Now musical artists can paint with technology and not have to rely on other people so much to complete a project !!!!
I think this is pure 100% BS !

So Hendrix would have been fine with not playing guitar at all and letting the Timbalands & CLAs of the world do everything for him ? Cheesy synths, in yo face nothingness, android robot sounding vocals ?

Bottom line: if he didn't do what he did on the guitar he wouldn't be Hendrix !!!!

He wasn't exactly "pretty" ya know.

Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

The few records that do sound good, in fact sound great.

Just listen to some of the work of Gary Paczosa, Ethan Jones, etc
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Think about the differences not only in artists, but songwriters / arrangers / producers etc between the two eras.

In 1966 it's people like:
Tom Wilson
Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil
Phil Spector
John Phillips
Lou Adler
Jagger / Richards
George Martin
Nelson Riddle
Holland / Dozier / Holland
Brian Wilson
many who could / did write out arrangements / charts etc
AND all songs / production / engineering was done with extreme technical limitations compared to today. Also players like The Wrecking Crew or The Funk Brothers etc

or

In 2006:
I would venture to say some of the writers / producers in that list don't even know where 'middle c' is on a keyboard or know how to play a G on a guitar . . . AND couldn't make a record without a sequencer or Pro Tools (seemingly, unlimited technical advantages / unlimited tracks / samplers / etc etc etc etc)

Though there IS a lot of knowledge in 'posing' properly for videos in the 2006 list of er, artists. *smile*

Quote:
[B]
US Number 1's 1966
US Number 1's 2006
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage691 View Post
I think this is pure 100% BS !

So Hendrix would have been fine with not playing guitar at all and letting the Timbalands & CLAs of the world do everything for him ? Cheesy synths, in yo face nothingness, android robot sounding vocals ?

Bottom line: if he didn't do what he did on the guitar he wouldn't be Hendrix !!!!

He wasn't exactly "pretty" ya know.

Hendrix was a soulful, extraordinarily gifted guitar player and singer. And a great songwriter. I'm a huge fan. But he also stretched the boundries of production for his time with the use of effects and unconventional recording techniques; basically everything that was available when he was alive. I think he would have continued to evolve his production techniques and sonic pallette.

I never said he would have replaced the guitar with bubble gum synth pop clowns using computers. All's I'm saying is i think he would have embraced some of today's music technology just as he would have evolved as a musician. Just like Miles Davis did with albums like Tutu before he sadly left us.

Look at what Peter Gabriel has done with music technology...has it hurt his superbly crafted songs? Not at all; his use of samplers, drum machines, synths and constantly evolving production techniques have only enhanced his music.

Is visual art created with CGI technology not art? Or do you still have to use oil based paints and traditional canvas to be a "real" artist?

I envy those that can embrace new sounds and new colors, because I struggle every day to get past '70s classic rock instrumentation in my own compositions. It takes balls to innovate, but no minerals at all to unequivocally bash ideas with generalizations and biased negativity behind an anonymous avatar in an online forum.

Onwards...
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
You may be joking but it really is no joke.

These people get a free pass on putting out crap because music has become "visual". Leading to the very problem this thread is attempting to address.
Image has always been part of being a pop musician. Look at Elvis, Little Richard, James Brown...the Stones, The Who, Hendrix, they all had unique appearance and stage personaes compared to what was accepted at that time as proper hair/clothing/conduct etc. by most "regular" folk with day jobs. And they were great singers/players. I agree that some people buy albums because of an artist's image alone, but some people don't. They just like the music. In Shakira's case I like both her ass and some of her music, and she's a heck of a performer. But I don't buy her albums and much prefer Steely Dan from a compositional perspective.

The one thing technology has done is mask ones' inability to perform live; whereas in the good ole' days if you couldn't sing and play thru basic amps and mics, you were done. But some concept albums back then were difficult to do live, and some artists actually prefered the studio over the stage but still could play theyre asses off. And some were hacks and still sold piles of albums, just like some artists today. The point is its all relative, subjective, and meaningless. Its what WE do ourselves that matters...

Let go of biases and keep creating. Hate is often envy in disguise.
Old 13th September 2011

Sorry, but you guys are nuts.

Arguing over cheesy I-IV-V BS in '66 versus cheesy I-IV-V BS now?

Are you SERIOUS?

Just because it was on the radio when you were a kid does NOT make it better (!)

(Cue Dana Carvey's grumpy old man).

NEWSFLASH: It's still the same I-IV-V BS...only now with different sounds.

And yes, the lyrics are still just as stupid now as they were in '66.

Keep kidding yourselves.

Yikes.

When I look at that list from 1966, all I can think of is that pop music is still mostly cheesy garbage.

And yes, we LOVE it. heh

But anyone who wants to extoll the virtues of "Love, love me do", can go play in traffic, AFAIC.

That **** is as cheesy as it frikkin' gets!

It is NOT less cheesy than Britney Spears!

Same ****, different decade!

Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Yes were all nuts. But not nuts enough to generalise that all old/new pop music has the I-IV-V progression.

But I do agree there is a lot of **** out there that is super simple & sells huge.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Yes were all nuts. But not nuts enough to generalise that all old/new pop music has the I-IV-V progression.

But I do agree there is a lot of **** out there that is super simple & sells huge.
Every decade there were people complained for lack of good artist. But, Van Gogh was ignore at his time, Mozart was ignore at his peak period, Bach was not nearly as great as he became after he died. I never believe in this **** of "being famous= good stuff" And I tell ya people here, yea , of course there are some great musicians at our time, it just we stupid people ignore them like the past people did.
Close your eyes and listen hard. Pay attention on those who "work hard" on their music rather than spend all your life to complain.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post

Sorry, but you guys are nuts.

Arguing over cheesy I-IV-V BS in '66 versus cheesy I-IV-V BS now?

Are you SERIOUS?

Just because it was on the radio when you were a kid does NOT make it better (!)

(Cue Dana Carvey's grumpy old man).

NEWSFLASH: It's still the same I-IV-V BS...only now with different sounds.

And yes, the lyrics are still just as stupid now as they were in '66.

Keep kidding yourselves.

Yikes.

When I look at that list from 1966, all I can think of is that pop music is still mostly cheesy garbage.

And yes, we LOVE it. heh

But anyone who wants to extoll the virtues of "Love, love me do", can go play in traffic, AFAIC.

That **** is as cheesy as it frikkin' gets!

It is NOT less cheesy than Britney Spears!

Same ****, different decade!

You call this list cheesey? (all in the charts the same week btw.) You are the one kidding yourself if you think the current charts are on the same level. Everything is not the same as everything else.

3. Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison
9. I Heard it Through the Grapevine - Gladys Knight and the Pips
11. Light My Fire - Doors
19. Strawberry Fields Forever - Beatles
20. Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix Experience
22. I Can See For Miles - The Who
24. Penny Lane - The Beatles
31. The Look of Love - Dusty Springfield
34. Try a Little Tenderness - Otis Redding
37. Let's Spend The Night Together - Rolling Stones
43. People Are Strange - The Doors
51. I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night - the Electric Prunes
55. Heroes and Villains - Beach Boys
60. Hip Hug-Her - Booker T & The MGs
62. By The Time i Get To Phoenix - Glen Campbell
68. I Am The Walrus - Beatles
69. A Whiter Shade Of Pale - Procul Harum
70. Pushin Too Hard - The Seeds
71. Cold Sweat (part 1) - James Brown
72. A Natural Woman (You Make Me Feel Like) - Aretha Franklin
81. So You Want To Be a Rock 'N' Roll Star - The Byrds
91. Somebody To Love - Jefferson Airplane
92. Funky Broadway - Wilson Pickett
95. For What It's Worth - Buffalo Springfield
100. Alfie - Dionne Warwick
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
You call this list cheesey? (all in the charts the same week btw.) You are the one kidding yourself if you think the current charts are on the same level. Everything is not the same as everything else.

Beatles is cheesy compare to Beethoven.
Old 13th September 2011
Quote:

OK, that's a pretty good frikkin' list heh ...although, I could do without a bunch of those songs.

I was UNDERWHELMED with your previous list - so, you proved your own point, everything is not the same as everything else.

Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc449 View Post
Beatles is cheesy compare to Beethoven.
Like so much else in this thread, that's purely a matter of perspective. Beethoven's 5th, for instance, may once have gestured at gravitas, but surely has taken on an aspect that borders on self-parody.

Not as savoury as mere cheese. Nor as clockwork as oranges. Banana-nah anyone? heh
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
US Number 1's 1966
Petula Clark - My Love
Troggs - Wild Thing
Association - Cherish
Monkees - I'm A Believer

US Number 1's 2006
D4L - Laffy Taffy
Ne-Yo - So Sick
Sean Paul - Temperature
Daniel Powter - Bad Day
Rihanna - SOS
Fergie - London Bridge
Beyonce - Irreplaceable

Every single song on the 2006 list is god-awful.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

There will always be bad sounding records and great sounding records. No matter if they are 50 years old, 70s, 80s, 90s, or today.

Definitely has nothing to do with digital or today's artist. Its the whole enchilada! heh Starting from the song, artist & musicians, to the producer, to the engineer/his gear, to the mastering lab/his ears, to the shixty radio in the Hyundai or ipod headphones. Or even your pissed depressive mood (psychological state) of the day. Mi dos centavos.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I think the problem is that right now, as in the current date of 2011, sees more music and more of everything "artistic" being manufactured and exchanged than ever before. This makes so many things competing for attention that it is hard to hear the beauty through the insipid noise. To me it is both amazing and overwhelming.

To me without question there is MORE good music being made RIGHT NOW than ever in terms of sound quality, songwriting, and performance. There is, however, less GREAT being made than previously. Its hard to get people to focus on a 45 minute record in a world of instant everything. You do have to know where to look and be open minded to get through the haze. This good sounding and performed music is especially true in terms of indie rock, dance/electronica, indie folk, experimental, indie retro, world, hippy/spiritual/jam band/kirtan, etc.

In terms of commercial mainstream music, 99.99% of it is a steaming pile of poo. Far and away the worst in the history of the recorded era. I mean awful to the point so far beyond horrific sounding that it boggles my mind the masses haven't strung up major label executives in some youtube broadcasted civic revolt. Even the absolute best of it (Adele, JTimberlake, Beyonce) is ruined by the atrocious sounding production and over the top boring ideas.

For the majority of performers, budgets have shrunk to where few can afford a team to make a record that could compete with the true classics. No team, limited time, limited knowledge of good gear, bad room, bad monitoring = limited (literally) sounding records. The computer guru is the new producer, even unsigned folk acts use autotune, splicing, sound replacing, pre-done loops, etc. in an attempt at getting closer to perceived digitized nirvana. Used sparingly these tools can be helpful but more often than not they are used for rescue missions due to inexperienced bands and equally inexperienced engineers attempting to "make it".

When I started out playing shows you most likely had to be able to play your instrument quite proficiently to get in a band and a band that had a physical "album" out was likely to at least be locally well known and more likely regionally playing at decent venues on decent nights. It was simply too expensive to record and you had to play the takes efficiently and properly as the "fixing it in the mix" wasn't nearly as powerful.

In some ways I suppose that made it elitist but most bands playing out had woodshedded for some time before they felt worthy to get on stage. Now the culture breeds an "every child is special" mentality instead of the reality which is that some people are actually better than you at certain things.

It has always been about image but now it is almost solely about that and anyone with $250 has a "studio" to offer for $5/hr. Its a mixed bag. We wouldn't have the Bon Ivers of the world without this technology being affordable, but we also wouldn't have thousands of crappy reality tv-wannabes crowding our internet selves either. Dig deep and embrace the underground, under-appreciated and unknown because they are TONS of people making cool sounds now in every conceivable genre. I am turned onto dozens of interesting acts literally every single week. Do they always sound great? Hell no, but I would rather hear a lo-fi crappy sounding album made by someone interesting in their basement than a slick modern major label album every time.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
MUSIC SOUND WORSE AND WORSE every decade. Is it true?

IMO no it's not true.. I dont particularly care for much of what gets major air play and most of what is on = You Tube/Myspace/ etc. But there is plenty of outstanding music being made today. More a matter of simply more music each decade, more bad, more mediocre, more good.
Again, I remind that I never said "the music is getting worse", but that the music SOUNDS worse and worse. Flat, one-dimesional. There are some great exceptions, of course.
David Sylvian anybody?
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

there are definately gems around today,
back in the day there was poo, there was gold too,

same with today, I agree the sonic quality isn't warm and fuzzy like it used to be as a whole,

but Dead Weather, Robert Plant, and a endlss number of current releases sound absolutely incredible,

btw... you'd be surprised at how many modern albums are recorded to tape still... good sound still comes down to engineering and performance.
Old 16th September 2011
short answer: no
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hendrix was a soulful, extraordinarily gifted guitar player and singer. I never said he would have replaced the guitar with bubble gum synth pop clowns using computers. All's I'm saying is i think he would have embraced some of today's music technology just as he would have evolved as a musician.

WRONG !!!

If Hendrix had been born today he'd either be washing dishes for the rest of his life, or he would have "grown up" and gone on to get some lame degree for some lame career after getting thru his "rebellious youth" phase of experimenting with drugs.

It's pretty much a guaruntee that today's bean counters would have had absolutely no interest in an artist of his caliber.

Need proof ? Look at the top 40 for the last 15 years.

Nuff said !

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search