The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SPL MixDream doubts Desktop Synthesizers
Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

SPL MixDream doubts

I am almost buying a MixDream but I have a few questions to ask. First of all, I read the manual and it says it has channels 1-2, 3-4, 5-6 that can be switched to mono to record a centered signal, useful for kick, snare, bass and so on.

My doubt is that they say it has from 1-2 to 15-16 hard panning signals, for exempla, 1 is left, 2 is right. To make a real good mix, for example, if I use 1 for kick, 2 for snare, 3 for bass and so on, 6 mono channels, then I will have 10 mono channels or 5 stereo channels panned hard left/right.

Later in the manual there is a definitio that says:

The Stereo Expander works on the principle of mixing so called
“off center signals”. The process involves electronically determining
which parts of the stereo canvas are left and right. These
L-R contents are then doubled and mixed in reverse phase to
the opposite channel. The effect becomes one of producing an

effect of an enlarged, grander stereo panorama.

Well, my doubt is if I use channel 7 to a mono out from Access Virus Ti for exammple and channel 8 for a mono out of Juno 106, when using stereo xpander, will I have Virus`s signal all panned to left and Juno`s sound all panned to right or would it be as if both will be stereo, I mean, L-R???

Will I be able to use 6 mono channels more 5 synths or 10 synths through the 10 mono channels??? That is my question.

Thanks a lot.
Old 11th September 2011
mrc
Lives for gear
i guess the answer is no, if i understand you question. if you route a bd on channel 1, normally it wil be panned hard left. one you hit the mono switch both 1 and 2 ch will on center. same with channels 3/4, 5/6. anything you route on channels 7/8 to 15/16 wil be panned hard l/r. if you route a bd on channel 7 it will be panned hard left, nothin you can do about it. unless you route a mono signal to ch 7/8, then it will be in the middle but you loose a channel.
Old 12th September 2011
You do your panning ITB and the MixDream will act just like a stereo aux track which will retain the pan settings. For example, if you have 6 tracks all routed to outputs 5/6 and they are each panned at various degrees, you will still hear that panning when the MixDream outputs the signal.

If you want to use the mono functionality for kick, bass, lead vox, lead guitar, etc. you just engage the mono button and the channels become single mono channels instead of stereo pairs.
Old 23rd November 2012
I echo Josh.

and then add.... It could be my imagination but when I use the MixDream mono function for examples: Vox, bass, kicks and snares, described in Josh's post, even though they are hard panned in the DAW, the center tightens up even more.
Old 4th December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiokid View Post
I echo Josh.

and then add.... It could be my imagination but when I use the MixDream mono function for examples: Vox, bass, kicks and snares, described in Josh's post, even though they are hard panned in the DAW, the center tightens up even more.
You're not imagining things. Mono in analog just sounds better IMHO.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search