The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can I use a JDI Duplex in lieu of linepads? Audio Interfaces
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Addict

Can I use a JDI Duplex in lieu of linepads?

Just got JDI duplex for DI synths into pres. At first I was planning to get either the avedis or dw fearn linepads for running stems from DAW through pres.

Now I noticed that the JDI Duplex has balanced line level inputs. Would this mean I can run mixes from DAWS through it and then through the pres again?

I'm asking this as I've done my search but it seems some insist that DI boxes are designed for instrument level, NOT line level signals.

However given that the JDI duplex has the xlr balanced line level input would it work? Ps. I think the line in has 20db pad

Thanks!
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Nut

I have a similar setup. I use an apogee duet 2, balanced line out into radial JDI into mic preamp input.. But I find I get this hi pitch noise at higher gain levels. I called avedis about their line pad-z, and he suggested I try the radial out before I buy the line pad-z. I think I'm gonna try the line pad-z as the high pitch noise is still happening.
Old 11th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob The Viking View Post
I have a similar setup. I use an apogee duet 2, balanced line out into radial JDI into mic preamp input.. But I find I get this hi pitch noise at higher gain levels. I called avedis about their line pad-z, and he suggested I try the radial out before I buy the line pad-z. I think I'm gonna try the line pad-z as the high pitch noise is still happening.
I would recommend trying a Jensen Iso Maxx over the line pads...
Old 11th September 2011
The Duplex MK4 has +4dB balanced line level inputs, so yes - it's made for exactly this type of work, as well as typical instrument level sources.

The high pitch noise from the Duet is probably converter noise, and it probably won't go away regardless of what you use. You probably need some high end D/A with better noise specs. You sort of get what you pay for ...
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

So I tried it last night sending out stems of DAWs through the pres
However I got more of a level drop than I expected
To make up I had to crank my gain with a P-1 (pad-in)--realize that I am double padding but I like the pad-in sound
Is this normal?
(sorry for being newb)
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

Also, Tony, you were one of the persons NOT advocating using the JDI in this manner. Does your view still stand? Thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search