The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
need advise on mic/pre choice for Mazzy Star stylefemale vocalist Condenser Microphones
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Nut

need advise on mic/pre choice for Mazzy Star stylefemale vocalist

My singing voice is in the line of Hope Sandoval or Siobahn De Mare from the UK band Mono. It tends not to cut through so well on the higher register. I'm working on my technique but also I'd like a studio mic that would be able to add a little beef on the mids. My current set up: AT-ATM33a (cheap hypercardioid) through a Firepod. I also track drums so ideally mics that excel as vocal and OH (I use At4031s right now)?

Are these good mic/pre choices for my scenario?

At4060
T-funken AK 47
Cascade Fathead
Neve 1073 DPA
UA 2-610
GR MPV-2
Chandler TG-2
Avalon 2022

I noticed through my research that a lot of the brand names have Chinese parts...I'd like to know which ones are still 100% made-in-USA?

Last edited by missswan; 12th September 2011 at 07:07 AM.. Reason: add info
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Guru

Depends on the music around it. Sparse acoustic, dark and lush, maybe a ribbon would work. Maybe. Can't imagine putting a dynamic up on Mazzy or Hope, unless the music was dense and the vocal needed to be slotted.

But if I had to make a choice and live with it, there's no question I'd use a 67 if I wanted the mids rich and dense (Mazzy), or a c12 if I wanted it all about the air (Hope). If those aren't optional, UMT70, CMV563, even a 2242 or P12 would be nice.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
Depends on the music around it. Sparse acoustic, dark and lush, maybe a ribbon would work. Maybe. Can't imagine putting a dynamic up on Mazzy or Hope, unless the music was dense and the vocal needed to be slotted.

But if I had to make a choice and live with it, there's no question I'd use a 67 if I wanted the mids rich and dense (Mazzy), or a c12 if I wanted it all about the air (Hope). If those aren't optional, UMT70, CMV563, even a 2242 or P12 would be nice.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Which 67? Are you talking about Neumann mics? I only have 2k.
Old 29th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by missswan View Post
Which 67? Are you talking about Neumann mics? I only have 2k.

Then I'd grab a Pearlman TM1 and a Peluso P12, and do the following audition:

1) place both mics as close together as possible with the capsules aligned

2) stand 6" back from the mics and angle them in slightly so they're both pointed straight at your mouth

3) sing a steady note and adjust the preamps so they're recording the exact same level

4) record a good pass of a song you think best exemplifies the qualities of your voice

5) reverse the mics so that the one which was on your right is now on your left, and vice versa

6) record another good pass with the mics like that

7) listen back to those vocal tracks with the rest of the music mixed in, but with the vocal a bit on the loud side.

Listen for two things: which one sounds more like 'you' and less like 'a recording of you.' You want it to sound and feel more engaging, more charismatic. Then, note which one sits better in the mix.

Odds are one mic will emerge as the clear winner.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 30th September 2011
Lives for gear

Early Mazzy Star vox chain

In case you're interested, I recorded Hope with a Stephen Paul modded Neumann U87 > Sound Workshop onboard mic pre > 1176 or DBX 160 VU > 3M M79 w/ Ampex 456/499 during the She Hangs Brightly (?) sessions at Radio Tokyo. There was no rhyme or reason to the choices--it was simply a matter of using the best gear we owned on the vocalist.

FWIW I agree with Gregory that a Pearlman TM-1 would be a great contender at the $2K price point.
Old 30th September 2011
Lives for gear

This reminds me of the time a guy asked how to record soul / motown strings and the guy who recorded 'what's goin' on' joined the thread.

I love gearslutz.
Old 30th September 2011
Gear Head

Might it be worth trying a Neumann TLM193? I work with a songwriting partner with a voice not too dissimilar to Hope, and have just invested in one of these. It gets quite a few nods on Gearslutz as as a good contender for breathy female vocals.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search