The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Research Paper on Neumann large diaphragm condenser mics Condenser Microphones
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Head

Research Paper on Neumann large diaphragm condenser mics

Hi guys,
I´ve been lurking in this subforum for quiet some time and this is my first thread. I´m planning to write a research paper on large diaphragm condenser mics on basis of the three neumann classics cmv3, U47 and U87. I´m planning to incorporate the technical aspects in general as well as historical information.

I`m looking for recommendations in form of literature, homepages, magazines, ebooks/pdfs, forums, contact with collecters and such - whatever source that is directly or indirectely connected specifically with neumann mics and/or large diaphragm condenser mics.

Just shoot if you feel like it, any input is greatly appreciated!

I heard that official neumann -the microphone book is mostly trivia and advertisement? can somebody confirm?
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Andreas Grosser and Gunter?Wagner

Sent from my X10i using Gearslutz.com App
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Head

Already taken into consideration but thanks for your post
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Ok good luck! Bump
Sent from my X10i using Gearslutz.com Appok
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quick! Somebody call Fletcher!

FLEEEETCCCHHEEEERRRR!
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

cmv3, U47 and U87 ?

Why not cmv3, U47 and M49 (or U67 ) ... or even AKG C-12 (TF 251)

If it were 3 it would be U47, U49 & C12 but if it's got to be historical then
I guess that's why you're doing the cmv3.
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Greetings,

I would be more than happy to help in what manner I can. While I am not as well known as as the aforementioned individuals (but hope to someday be) I think I might be able to be of some assistance. If you would like to correspond via either PM or email, please let me know.
Old 11th September 2011
nkf
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFx View Post
Hi guys,
I´ve been lurking in this subforum for quiet some time and this is my first thread. I´m planning to write a research paper on large diaphragm condenser mics on basis of the three neumann classics cmv3, U47 and U87. I´m planning to incorporate the technical aspects in general as well as historical information.

I`m looking for recommendations in form of literature, homepages, magazines, ebooks/pdfs, forums, contact with collecters and such - whatever source that is directly or indirectely connected specifically with neumann mics and/or large diaphragm condenser mics.

Just shoot if you feel like it, any input is greatly appreciated!

I heard that official neumann -the microphone book is mostly trivia and advertisement? can somebody confirm?
The obvious would be: call Neumann and/or Microtech Gefelll.
At least I would ask in the Neumann forum.
The official Neumann Microphon book is not an engineering cook book so it's for information of those who are trying to understand technical conditions from a users perspective. They even mentioned other brands like Beyerdynamic. But of course it is part of their PR and there's nothing wrong with that. Other companies like Schoeps have similar microphone books/papers. All are proud of their achievements.
Why the limitations to old, vintage designs? Why not including TLM103 or d-01?
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkf View Post
ding ding ding!
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkf View Post
At least I would ask in the Neumann forum.
The official Neumann Microphon book is not an engineering cook book so it's for information of those who are trying to understand technical conditions from a users perspective.
So there is theoretic electroacoustical material in the book? Interesting, to what extent?

I´m gonna be at this years SAE Convention where Neumann and Microtech Gefell will have a booth. Looking forward to that maybe I can get some nice information from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-AP.SCI View Post
Greetings,

I would be more than happy to help in what manner I can. While I am not as well known as as the aforementioned individuals (but hope to someday be) I think I might be able to be of some assistance. If you would like to correspond via either PM or email, please let me know.
Thanks man, I´ll come back to that!
Old 12th September 2011
nkf
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFx View Post
So there is theoretic electroacoustical material in the book? Interesting, to what extent?
You are very lazy when it comes to internet research and I post the link just because I think other people would like to read this book too (German and English):
Georg Neumann GmbH - Unternehmen/Publikationen/Grundlagen der Mikrofontechnik
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

good luck for your paper. but i would change the mic selection. m49, u47, u67 and km54 ...those are the classics. the cmv is actually a completely useless mic in its stock condition (today). the u87 is an average mic.
for some info your can check any schematics on the kubarth webpage www.kubarth.com and maybe andreas grosser and sigfried thiersch will spill some knowlegde if you approach them friendly (they are both extremely decent guys). if you insist on your cmv 3 choice there is some info here: Neumann-Mikrofon 'Flasche' im afraid its all in german. thats what you get from researching german gear :-) again, good luck with your paper and send me a pm if you need any help.

ps: i just saw that you are located in germany. if you are in the south...fell free to come by and test (investigate) them for yourself. i have everyting here except a u47. im in munich.

Last edited by salomonander; 12th September 2011 at 01:59 AM.. Reason: grammar....again
Old 12th September 2011
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainate View Post
Quick! Somebody call Fletcher!

FLEEEETCCCHHEEEERRRR!
Cute -

The best bet is going to be to read Klaus Heyne's forums on R/E/P -- most of the information the OP will require is there... but it will be a whole bunch of hours of reading and note taking (which he's hopefully up for doing as it will benefit him greatly).

I'm sure I could fill in the holes... but Andreas & Klaus are two of the most knowledgeable people who are fairly accessible which would probably net better / faster information.

To the OP - if you are in the south [and even if you're not] you may want to take "salomonander" up on his offer... he knows quite a bit as well.

Peace
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander View Post

ps: i just saw that you are located in germany. if you are in the south...fell free to come by and test (investigate) them for yourself. i have everyting here except a u47. im in munich.
thanks for the offer, I´m in Frankfurt. this is the first phase of sighting material so - I´ll pm you in time
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntk
You are very lazy when it comes to internet research
If I wanted you guys to post google findings I wouldn´t have posted this thread...? thanks anyways.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander View Post
good luck for your paper. but i would change the mic selection. m49, u47, u67 and km54 ...those are the classics. the cmv is actually a completely useless mic in its stock condition (today). the u87 is an average mic.
for some info your can check any schematics on the kubarth webpage www.kubarth.com and maybe andreas grosser and sigfried thiersch will spill some knowlegde if you approach them friendly (they are both extremely decent guys). if you insist on your cmv 3 choice there is some info here: Neumann-Mikrofon 'Flasche' im afraid its all in german. thats what you get from researching german gear :-) again, good luck with your paper and send me a pm if you need any help.

Translated the page, but still don't grasp the problems with the CMV-3. Is it the availability of the correct tube?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search