The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Monitor upgrade from Genelec 8040's? Studio Monitors
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Addict

Monitor upgrade from Genelec 8040's?

Just starting to look around for replacements for my Genelec 8040a's, Im not unhappy with them, but feel that my mixes are turning out a certain way as a result of their seemingly hollow middle and want to upgrade.

Budget ~$4K-$7K, currently looking at Barefoot MM35's and the yet to be released Focal SM9's. Any input from Genelec users switching to the Barefoot or Focal camp would be very useful. Thanks.
Old 11th September 2011
Don't change the Genelecs. Most monitors benefit from being used in conjunction with a second pair of monitors which sound very different. A perfect pair for Genelecs are the Avantone Active Mixcubes. They cost only a few hundred and take your mixes to a new level.

Avantone Active MixCube

I have Genelec 8250A's + Avantones and I'm very happy with this pair.
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Maniac
I had Genelecs for 10 years, first 1030s then (the last 3 years) 8040s.

My mixes didn't translate that well, they always sounded better in Genelecs. problems with the very low end, problems with low mids, reverbs somehow "disappeared" in Gens. The thing is I was satisfied with my mixes "too soon". I changed them to Focal Twins. My mixes got better, then changed the Focals to Adam S3Xs, my mixes got MUCH better. Now I've had Adams for 1,5 years, I'm very happy with them. They "speak the truth", Gens always make the truth more beautiful than it really is (IMO). I know that Adams freq response is not truly linear but it doesn't bother me. I also have Avantones and use them quite a lot as a second monitor pair.

-- Mikko
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Addict

I actually did pair my Genelec's with some Mixcubes last year and was very happy with the gap they filled in the mids. I still feel like Im missing something in the Genelec's though. My bottom end always seems out of whack no matter what I do (and where the tracks are sourced) and I think I always mix everything to far back compared to a quality commercial release, although it sounds correct on the Genelec's.

I havent looked at Adam stuff at all, are you using the S3X V's?
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear
Most users use the S3X-H.

Check this thread out, there's allot of reading about the S3X, mainly all positive. They seem like amazing monitors, much better then the twins and most others in this price region so people say.

ADAM New SX Series

For me personally I would get the S3X-V's, actually dreaming about getting a set!
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I was super impressed with MM27s. I currently have 8050s. I will be replacing them soon. I find the Barefoots to be simultaneously more flattering and more critical than the Genelecs.

As far as alternate speakers are concerned I use Auratones, which to my ear sound rather sweet. A pair of passive Avantones sit boxed up in my office. I have also used the active Avantones which IMHO are even less useful.
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Maniac
I have S3X-Hs. I heard the Vs as well and for my taste the Hs sounded better, somehow tighter in the lowend.

-- Mikko
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mherrane View Post
I have S3X-Hs. I heard the Vs as well and for my taste the Hs sounded better, somehow tighter in the lowend.

-- Mikko
I guess it's a personal thing, some on SX thread prefer the V's.
Old 12th September 2011
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superama View Post
I was super impressed with MM27s. I find the Barefoots to be simultaneously more flattering and more critical than the Genelecs.
My experience exactly. I used to work in a small studio with 8040a's and while I can't say I disliked them, I felt there was always a bit of guess work going on.

After spending a year or so on them, I got the chance to work in a friends studio with MM27's and was absolutely amazed at how fast I can work on these monitors. Anything that isn't happening is quickly exposed. I'd love a chance to hear the (more affordable) MM35's if given the chance.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

look for a used pair of ATC scm50a´s or scm100a if you can afford them.

Thank me later.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
Every speakers upgrade required the same amount of acoustic treatment upgrade.
the better speakers you get will result in more critical issues to deal with in treatment.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc449 View Post
Every speakers upgrade required the same amount of acoustic treatment upgrade.
the better speakers you get will result in more critical issues to deal with in treatment.
I agree 100% with what you said. If you can afford Barefoots, I strongly recommend while trying montiors out to try the 3 way Genelec 8260A's. You have the Genelec sound, but the depth, low and and definition is a huge step up from the 8040's. Here is a insightful review of them. Genelec 8260A
Old 13th September 2011
We have
Genelec 1037,8040 yamaha msp 10, JBL all series & ADAM s2, sx3v

Nothing like ADAM sx3, anything will be better out the studio
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmss View Post
We have
Genelec 1037,8040 yamaha msp 10, JBL all series & ADAM s2, sx3v

Nothing like ADAM sx3, anything will be better out the studio
Good selection of speakers. I can make good mix out of any pair you mentioned above. (except JBL).
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Lavry DA10 + Genelec 8040A + huge bass traps = i'm perfectly happy

i was thinking about the 8050, but the 8040 has enough bass for a small studio. more bass = more troubles.

room treatment > monitors

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search