The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Starting out on modular synths Desktop Synthesizers
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Starting out on modular synths

Hi there guys! This is my first post here regarding this subject.

I have my studio for over a year now and as a gearslut i just can never get enough lol.

My only analog synth is a slim phatty, wich i love, and by sampling it i can make pads. I was considering buying a tetra, perhaps a prophet 08, but not anymore.

My new goal was to get a dave smith tempest, but im not sure anymore... We can always program the beats in our sequencer right? I think it's better to invest in a modular synth than a drum machine.

I think it's been 2 months since i've bought Madrona Labs's Aalto, it's a great synth and i love it, unique sounds! It inspired me to start diving into the modular world.

I have been reading the threads here about euroracks (also researched other websites and forums), and i think i've narrowed my decision to this:

Synthesizers.com

a n a l o g u e h a v e n

I also enjoyed the prices from Blacet.

My question is: Can i get a similar system (with similar price) from another company wich has better quality than those i've chosen? Is the blacet system better than synth.com? And by "better" i mean not only the build quality, but also the audio.

If i get this rack24 system, can i expand this later with other modules from other companies? same with doepfer?

Thx a lot guys
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Addict

go to muffwiggler

Please clickthrough for the world's best forum

eurorack is the most diverse and, save for sinthesizers.com, the most affordable.

pretty much everything's there ... more traditional vintage emulations, more experimental / noisy stuff, to buchla-esque / west coast stuff. this is where i recommend you start.

serge / buchla is expensive and more suitable for "west coast" stuff (at least that's what i see most ppl who are into these stuff are into)

good luck ... but be warned .. modular is not for everyone. i for one did not find it a be all end all by any means. however, if you are hooked, be prepared to spend LOTS of money. (maybe not as much as 500 series, but still, LOTS).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search