The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help with installing combined analog and digital system Audio Interfaces
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Help with installing combined analog and digital system

Hi everyone!

I recently purchased Soundcraft TS-12, analog mixing console which I'm about to install in my studio.

I do most of my tracking on a 24 analog track machine. (At the moment a Tascam, but will probably be exhanged to a Studer.)

Mixing is planned to be done either analog or digital(24i/o Motu).

I've been thinking about different ways to hook up all the gear but I wanted to get some input from experienced people. I guess that these conditions aren't that uncommon. I want a setup which is as easy as possible and with as little patching as possible. Most options I've come up with includes having a pile of bantams connected in the patchbay but maybe there's no better alternative.

----
Here are the fundamentals:

Mixer:

24 tape in (at the moment connected with EDAC to D-Sub )
24 tape out (at the moment connected with EDAC to D-Sub )
24 line in (accessible through mixer patchbay)
12 Group/buses (accessible through mixer patchbay)
6 Stereo returns
8 extra stereo returns (accessible through mixer patchbay)
Inbuild patchbay with most in and outs plus a 100 Tielines

Tape machine: 24 i/o RCA

Digital interface: 24 TRS

---

Some ideas that I' have are;

1. Use tape i/o for tape machine
Have DAW in mixer patchbay

2. Have a extra patchbay with some kind of split signal with both Digital and Analog recording. I'm not sure about this option in terms of what patchbay to use. Up and downsides with signal-splitting and so on.

3. Have 12 DAW i/o on groups but it doesn't help that much since the group outs are only accessible through the patchbay.

--

Any kind of input and ideas are appreciated! I hope I didn't leave out to much relevant information.

/Dan

Note: I wasn't sure which forum to post this question in, but maybe a moderator can sort that out if this one was inappropriate.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search