The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API 2500 doing the SSL Buss Comp Thing? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGo View Post
Try parallel compression in the box (with a compressor plug that doesn't offer wet/dry!)...

I don't do parallel *anything* in the box, not even fx sends... insidious phase smear! Once my ears became attuned to that unique daw parallel-processed phase hash, there was no getting around it.

Drums and vocals suffer the most.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

I agree about the ITB phase hash. FX sends are unavoidable for me, because I just don't have enough hardware fx, and because I need the recall for work, but there's no question that when I do even a sloppy A/B of out of the box vs. ITB hardware still sounds better. But... Computers are catching up!
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Head

Which DAWs? I assumed that plugin delay compensation in modern DAWs was sample accurate. Have I been messing things up using all this time ?
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinny View Post
Which DAWs? I assumed that plugin delay compensation in modern DAWs was sample accurate.

It's not necessarily a matter of latency, I'm not a dsp guru so I don't claim to know the "why's" of digital sonics. What I know is that anytime I have signal A and it is subjected to dsp process B via a separate bus, subsequent summing of A + B induces problems that to my ears sound like phasing + smearing, especially of the highest registers.

On a console, I can mult a signal into 5 compressors and bring them all back in to a single bus, they merge like they were never apart. With digital, my experience mirrors DanGo: it's sounds better when the processing and blending occur at the same time in the same plugin.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Addict

I am very curious to use the drawmer da6 to split the 2bus out into 6 stereo pairs for further parallell procrssing. --> then of course into some mixer. Anyone experience with this setup or some similar device/tool to achieve this?
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Addict

...and in addition to Gregorys post I was recently a bit amazed by the openess and general (good) sonics when I listened to a recording I made with just the raw tracks and no subs. ...and also very liltle plugs I might add. ( Gainstaging usually fine.)
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear

Ok, Greg, now I'm reading that you, Mr. Analogue, are putting out a plugin that looks like it'll be fantastic... But, how about parallel compression with it? Still smearing? Or will you build that function in?
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGo View Post
Ok, Greg, now I'm reading that you, Mr. Analogue, are putting out a plugin that looks like it'll be fantastic... But, how about parallel compression with it? Still smearing? Or will you build that function in?
From what I saw of the plug in, it has the wet/dry mix IN the plugin ON each section! Awesome stuff. So yes, the plug will be doing the wet/dry mixes.

Regards,
Frank
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hey Frank, that does sound awesome! Looking forward to test driving it.
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
I don't do parallel *anything* in the box, not even fx sends... insidious phase smear! Once my ears became attuned to that unique daw parallel-processed phase hash, there was no getting around it.

Drums and vocals suffer the most.

Gregory Scott - ubk
interesting.

the phase smear wasn't noticeable at all on my system until i upgraded to logic 9 64 bit. since then i can't use any of parallel comp tricks, which makes me sad, because i had some neat ones!
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
In my experience the 2500 is incapable of pumping the way you're asking for. To my ears it has a bit to do with the knee and the release; the former is too quick and the latter too slow. But mostly I suspect it's down to the RMS detector and the way it responds to energy, it seems to 'hear' too evenly to pump.

One of these days I've got half a mind to pop the lid on mine and futz around with the attack on that box; I've never adored it, while I've always adored everything else about it. 3:1 is a magic ratio on this comp, not sure why but 80% of the time that's where I end up setting it. Same with 1ms attack.

People love this thing on mix and drums; for whatever reason, those are the two places I almost never use mine. Guitars, on the other hand, or vocals... lovely.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Greg,

did you ever open up the api and futz around with the attack? inquiring minds wanna know!
Old 23rd September 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dry;7029746i will have a full brown rack one day. clariphonic/fatso/vac rac (tsl-4)/and a foote control systems p4. if you pulled off a UBK version of the api....i may [I
ONLY[/I] need a brown rack. I might call in to that TBN prayer line and deem this a prayer request. AMEN
I love it

I do really like the "Mittlebronze" anodized material a lot, and my rack has a lot of it!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search