The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MagMic MM-2006 coupled with Duet? Condenser Microphones
Old 9th September 2011
Here for the gear

MagMic MM-2006 coupled with Duet?

Hey guys, first time poster. My current setup consists of a Macbook Pro, Logic Pro 9, Apogee Duet, Neumann TLM-103, and Mojave MA-200 (my baby). I'm curious as to what the consensus is in regards to the MM-2006 coupled with an Apogee Duet. After seeing this video I am positive the MM-2006 is a fantastic mic, I just don't know if my setup will bring out it's potential. For reference, here's a cover my bandmate and I recorded with the Mojave.
Old 9th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by attempted View Post
Hey guys, first time poster. My current setup consists of a Macbook Pro, Logic Pro 9, Apogee Duet, Neumann TLM-103, and Mojave MA-200 (my baby). I'm curious as to what the consensus is in regards to the MM-2006 coupled with an Apogee Duet. After seeing this video I am positive the MM-2006 is a fantastic mic, I just don't know if my setup will bring out it's potential. For reference, here's a cover my bandmate and I recorded with the Mojave.
That's PAPA Stayne's STEREO MAG MIC!!!
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

You won't need to worry about bringing out it's potential... The Mag Mic sounds so good! It will sound great through a Duet!
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

The Duet will be more than fine -- switch it to line operation though and skip the pre. The MagMic without the attenuation engaged (better) very rarely needs a preamp and sounds better going straight line in.

Somewhere, I have a weird stereo MagMic video with Stayne in shorts...praise Allah that I can't find it.
Old 10th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaneldon View Post
The Duet will be more than fine -- switch it to line operation though and skip the pre. The MagMic without the attenuation engaged (better) very rarely needs a preamp and sounds better going straight line in.

Somewhere, I have a weird stereo MagMic video with Stayne in shorts...praise Allah that I can't find it.
Wonderful, thank you. Two questions:

1. How do you guys know it's the Stereo version of the mic (out of curiosity)?
2. Would you know how to go about switching the Duet to line operation? Since the Mojave MA-200 has it's own tube power source, I'm curious as to how this would sound skipping the pre with the Majove.
Old 10th September 2011
because stayne sent me that video and told me about it. The mag mic puts out 0vu strength which is near line level. It works fine with preamps at low gain settings but sounds cool when you patch it right into the recorder too. You can try this with any tube mic, but they all vary in output level.
Old 10th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
because stayne sent me that video and told me about it. The mag mic puts out 0vu strength which is near line level. It works fine with preamps at low gain settings but sounds cool when you patch it right into the recorder too. You can try this with any tube mic, but they all vary in output level.
Alright then! What would be the advantages of going for the stereo version?
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by attempted View Post
How do you guys know it's the Stereo version of the mic (out of curiosity)?
2. Would you know how to go about switching the Duet to line operation? Since the Mojave MA-200 has it's own tube power source, I'm curious as to how this would sound skipping the pre with the Majove.
1. Taller headbasket, and the guitar is on the left...
2. Go into the Maestro control panel and switch your mic input to line input.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Guru

i have a serial # 2 MM built into a C12VR - yes, it is a hot mic. you will not be sorry. Papa Stayne in shorts - yikes, have you seen those Knees LOL

Last edited by jwh1192; 14th September 2011 at 02:08 AM.. Reason: spelling of course

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search