The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
JJ Electronics 500 Series Preamps
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

JJ Electronics

Hey everyone.

Just curious about JJ Electronics. They are like Seventh Circle Audio and make clones of well known gear. They have a 4 channel API style preamp on eBay I was interested in but would like to know if anyone can share thoughts on their products with me.

Thanks!
Old 8th September 2011
I find only JJ tube amplifiers....
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Head

Where did you look? Their website doesn't show much. I'm watching an item on eBay from them that is described as an API style 4 channel preamplifier. It looks great and the price is good.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Head

Here is a link to the item I was looking at:

JJ ElectronicsJJ Electronics Preamp

Eric
Old 27th February 2012
Here for the gear

JJ Electronics

We have more of these pre-amps available now on ebay.

JJ ElectronicseBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

We also have a pair of DOA's (API 2520 format) designed to replicate the ever popular API 2520 and the Melcor 1731.
Testing is going on now and they should be available soon.

Orin Johnson
jjstudioelectronics.com
Old 27th February 2012
Gear Nut

I have their APY4, which is the same as the one you are looking at on Ebay. FANTASTIC product, sounds great, built like a tank, awesome customer support. Every bit as good as an API, maybe even better headroom (?) I use it on everything.

Highly recommended. Save yourself a ton of money and get one of these.
Old 28th February 2012
Here for the gear

All our products are also available for direct purchase @ [email protected] or call us: 608.218.4327

We are currently working on rebuilding our website as well.

Thanks chevega! It's good to hear from you again! Hope all is well my friend!

Regards,
Orin
Old 29th February 2012
Here for the gear

I actually have 2 APY2 units. I found out about them when my machine shop was contracted to build the cases for them, which are machined out of 1/4" aluminum plate. Built like a tank. I am portable, so tanky is good. I was so intrigued by the components that I bought one, and it became my go to preamp for Kick and Snare.

Liked it so much, I bought another one. I track primarily drum OH and kick and snare with them. They are my favorite pre's and a lot of bang for the buck. They remind me of API 512c's in that they have that warm punch, and they really sound good when pushed hard.

I have also used them with ribbon mics on loud guitar, and they excel at that. Good DI too. And you can talk to Orin, the owner, no problem. Great support. If you want to mod it, he'll try it.

A really great sounding unit, I use the hell out of mine. For reference, I have or have had stuff from API, Vintech, Neve, Focusrite, Trident and UAD. This reminds me most of the API512c, probably because of the op amps, but it is it's own thing, in a good way.

I will be buying more from JJ Electronics. It is high end sounding stuff, and a really good value. Good stuff, and he stands behind it.
Old 5th January 2015
Here for the gear

A Godsend. It's all true. Big Boy preamp.

I bought an APY4 a couple years back, on the strength of this thread. It has been a key piece in taking my personal studio production to another level. I have experience with Vintech, Chandler, Manley, etc., so I have a bit of an idea what a good pre can do for your sound. In my home studio, I have the JJ Electronics APY4, and I do not feel as though I am lacking anything when compared to units twice it's cost. My lows are so nice, with nice round punch and depth. Clean gain, but not without character. I run everything through it. The hi-z's up front make for a great bass DI just straight in. Instant, record ready bass sound. I use a Glyn Johns approach to drums, and the APY4 is all I ever run through. The kick in the room mic is unreal... drummers ask me about the recordings, then freakout when I only throw 4 mics up and NO kick mic... "Aren't you gonna mic the kick?" No. "Is this how you got the sound in the recordings I heard?" Yep. Mind/Blown. The thing just rules. It just really adds alot of "weight" and "presence". It makes all of my mics better. Military grade construction. Take the hood off, it looks like it was made to control a tank or something. They even have the logo tooled into the brushed metal casing. It weighs 20lbs. My only gripe would be I'm not a fan of the knobs(I like moog style knobs best), but with a sound like this, who cares? I think the newer units have different knobs, anyway. Who cares! SOUND.

As far as service, when I originally ordered the unit, they were waiting on a few parts to come in, transformers, etc. Not only did the owner, Orin, notify me, he gave me the option of waiting for the exact spec'ed parts or accepting upgrades, so I wouldn't have to wait...!!! So, In some ways, my APY4 is CUSTOM. Nice. Later, I mistakingly thought that a channel had gone out(turned out to be the channel on my console), Orin immediately asked me to ship it out, he then ran it through every test imaginable, tweaked it, tuned it up, etc. I got it back sounding better than ever. And, it was FREE, because the man offers a LIFETIME warranty on any thing you buy from him. Can't beat it. Great pre. Sounds killer. Affordable. Warranty for life. What else do you want?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search