The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Headphones Multi-Ef­fects Plugins
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Nut

New Headphones

Hi,
I'm looking to replace my current Shure SE102 In Ear Headphones for something more high end, but still Shure. I am stuck as to what to go for though, and can't decide between the SE425 and the SE535. I listen to music on the go a lot, walking, buses, trains and the occasional flights (maybe 1 return journey per year). I am also a drummer and i am starting a course in Music Production. I know that you're not supposed to mix music through headphones, but i will be living in halls, and therefore won't be allowed to use speakers.
For mixing, i need something that won't change the true sound, i need no bass boost or treble boost. The sound must be as flat and as true as it possibly can. I was originally drawn to the 535's, just because they're the top end headphones that you produce, but now i worry that having 2 tweeters for lower end frequencies might provide an unwanted bass boost.
I was hoping that you would be able to provide a little more information to help me with my decision?
Thanks in advance
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Why does it have to be Shure?
Why not try any of the Etymotic Research, etc.?
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by aremos View Post
Why does it have to be Shure?
Why not try any of the Etymotic Research, etc.?
I would add the Denon IEMs,
tested the AH-C710, impressed with the sound coming out of it.
Thunderous bass, anyway well balanced.
Old 12th October 2011
Gear Head
I have just bought the se425,
regretted immediately.
Amongst the worst in ears i have ever used. Very harsh no real bass extension and NO top end. I would have been unhappy to pay 20 pounds for them. let alone £280
In fact i tried to return them, unfortunately this isn't possible, although how i could have known they would be this bad without being able to check them is beyond me.

I care very much about the sound all my speakers and earphones make and i have to say these are terrible.

Anyway it is a HUGE thumbs down from me.
Old 12th October 2011
Gear Nut

i had 2 sets of shure iem's years ago - don't recall the model numbers. i replaced them with a pair of westone um2's (i think) and couldn't believe how much better they sounded. give westone a shot - you won't regret it.
Old 13th October 2011
Future Sonic Atrios. With the extra molds, they work very nicely in this form factor.
Otherwise I enjoy my AKG 702s quite a bit.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search