The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nice acoustic micing Condenser Microphones
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Nice acoustic micing

Which mics are these?

I know that's a gefell shockmount..

and what's the logic behind that positioning? they both look like they're bang on the soundhole maybe a foot back! odd?

I always experiment with different things, xy, spaced pair (bridge and 12th), ribbons, large condensors, mid-side. and always end up unhappy except for when I use a trusty SDC about 6" off the 12'th fret on a bit of an angle inwards towards the soundhole.. but I'm really bored with this!
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

The big mic i think is a Neumann m149 not sure about the smaller one it's hard to see
Old 8th September 2011
Def a 149, the other looks like a gefell? 990? It's hard to tell exactly where their aimed since we're kinda distant and angled here, I think they're aimed a bit higher, and it's the camera angle, but not sure. They're pretty distant though getting a nice full pickup.

That foot tapping is quite loud, low, and a bit out at times, wouldn't mind a HPF. There's also a lot of high end, finger noise, ambient noises, noise floor, compression, and a bit of distortion going on in here.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Cardan View Post
and what's the logic behind that positioning? they both look like they're bang on the soundhole maybe a foot back! odd?
Looks like a M149 to me. I think it's actually pointed at the 12th fret. It's the camera angle that makes it look like it's in front of the soundhole. If you look at other youtube videos, you'll see that he doesn't point mics at the soundhole.

Quote:
and always end up unhappy except for when I use a trusty SDC about 6" off the 12'th fret on a bit of an angle inwards towards the soundhole..
I have tried M149 many times on acoustic and I don't like it enough to beat out the SDC. I like it for vocals but for acoustic guitar, I always return to SDC. A cheaper KM184 will sound much crispier. The M149 rounds off too much of the plucked transients. He seems like like LDC because he uses a Brauner in one of the other videos.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Here's another view that shows a bit more of the mic:

Old 9th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Murray View Post
Def a 149, the other looks like a gefell? 990? It's hard to tell exactly where their aimed since we're kinda distant and angled here, I think they're aimed a bit higher, and it's the camera angle, but not sure. They're pretty distant though getting a nice full pickup.

That foot tapping is quite loud, low, and a bit out at times, wouldn't mind a HPF. There's also a lot of high end, finger noise, ambient noises, noise floor, compression, and a bit of distortion going on in here.

agreed,
but I think that's why it sounds so nice, finally a real gritty hearty recording,

I agree though, tiny hipass even to 50 would do more justice,

everything else I think just adds to the charm
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search