The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
CLA telling the difference between boys and men Control Surfaces
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

CLA telling the difference between boys and men

EDIT: skip to around min 3:00 to hear CLA about the point of this thread
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Guru

I can't believe I just wasted 11 minutes watching CLA basically spouting a long booooooring history based and very basic advert about SSL desks to a set of students......

What exactly is the point of this thread? There is no single bit of useful info in the 11min, so please guys, don't bother.

I know you're a complete SSL slut, jindrich, but in the age of Pensado's Place likely people expect a little value out of watching a vid, not just a reaffirmation of another man's lust for an SSL......
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

agreed - I do hope the seminar was more involving than that video suggests
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

he looks more and more bloated, i hope he´s ok...
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

I thought it was nice talk to the students. Not boring at all. But you know all that already, so it's boring to you. Like going back to the primary school...

The funny bit - I almost saw their thoughts on their faces when he was explaining about the recall - matching all the settings to the snapshot visually and manually! - it looked like "wtf, can't it be done by a click of a mouse?, my DAW does that in a second!"

But I agree completely with what he said at the end (and also in between) of being "empowered" and in control when sitting behind a big desk - every time I do live sound with a console it is so much more organic and "in control" and faster than sitting behind the computer in my studio. You just listen - and tweak fast - reach for those controls physically, twist knobs, press buttons, drive faders - mixing should really be done like that. Not thinking five minutes which plug-in to insert, loosing time with imprecise knobs and awkward mouse control, putting numbers in for Q or frequency values, sloppy fader driving with a bit of latency, correcting it with drawing a more precise line - loosing time and feeling, since you stop listening, but looking how the fades and transitions look as graphic, etc.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

It should be clarified in the title of this thread that it's an official SSL YouTube advert.

No offense, but I just wasted my time watching CLA (whose work I like and admire) advertising SSL's innovations from almost 30 years ago.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddierodriguez View Post
he looks more and more bloated, i hope he´s ok...
Off course he is, just living the dream, getting them pork chops in heh
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by akisD28 View Post
It should be clarified in the title of this thread that it's an official SSL YouTube advert.

No offense, but I just wasted my time watching CLA (whose work I like and admire) advertising SSL's innovations from almost 30 years ago.
+1

Sidenote: Regardless of what I have in front of me (been mixing mostly ITB, but my 1st console is arriving this weekend), I enjoy my job immensely. I have never felt like a "telephone operator".
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Ok, yes, the video can be seen somehow as an SSL infomercial (it IS posted by SSL), but what else can you expect from Chris, he does the same with Waves stuff as well.

Anyway, the point of the thread is what he says at min 3:00 :

"When you have the big desk in front of you, you feel empowered, to be in control of something. When you have a screen and a mouse and a KB, you feel like.. a telephone operator."

I, and everybody else I know who's ever used an SSL, Neve, API, AMEK,...etc, can only concur.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

An SSL ad. Pure and simple.

Big ego there.
Old 8th September 2011
Fhl
Lives for gear

Wait time? Seriously? There was more delay on the console transport than what I have in cubase on my mac pro. Yeah, CLA, technology evolves.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jindrich View Post
Ok, yes, the video can be seen somehow as an SSL infomercial (it IS posted by SSL), but what else can you expect from Chris, he does the same with Waves stuff as well.

"When you have the big desk in front of you, you feel empowered, to be in control of somthing. When you have a screen and a mouse and a KB, you feel like.. a telephone operator."

I, and everybody else I know who's ever used an SSL, Neve, API, AMEK,...etc, can only concur.
Infomercial? hm.....lol

Anyway, I totally agree that a desk empowers you.........only I don't see what it has to do with the thread heading.....I would have thought the man/boy split happens when people start to USE the thing......
Old 8th September 2011
Gees...give the man some nasal spray for his cold

Old 8th September 2011
Quote:

"When you have the big desk in front of you, you feel empowered, to be in control of somthing. When you have a screen and a mouse and a KB, you feel like.. a telephone operator."

I've used SSL, Neve, AMEK...well, ok, never an API desk...and I don't feel like a telephone operator in front of my computer screen, hybrid setup!

CLA is in an enviable position, but I think I'd be bored if I only worked on one style of music (today is soulful RnB on to Polish rock!), and he's also one of a few people earning enough to be able to employ minions to do the donkey work. There'll be fewer and fewer people in this situation as things continue.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I've used SSL, Neve, AMEK...well, ok, never an API desk...and I don't feel like a telephone operator in front of my computer screen, hybrid setup!

CLA is in an enviable position, but I think I'd be bored if I only worked on one style of music (today is soulful RnB on to Polish rock!), and he's also one of a few people earning enough to be able to employ minions to do the donkey work. There'll be fewer and fewer people in this situation as things continue.
lol......fancy him getting his glasses on to make all those white lines disappear himself.......and then have enough energy left to focus on any mixing.....
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Addict

[QUOTE=psycho_monkey;7011059]I've used SSL, Neve, AMEK...well, ok, never an API desk....[/QUOTE]

!!! tutt

Talk to your doctor, its good for your ears.
Old 8th September 2011
PTHD with one of their large console/interface/controller/etc gives you the simplest and most complete "total recall" there is.

I use but a lowly C|24 and have a lot of control and recall I never had on an analog console... but sometimes I miss all the EQ knobs. Sometimes I miss all the send knobs. Maybe I'm just a knob.

There's an SSL in my future, and combined with PTHD, I think one can achieve the ultimate efficiency and user-friendliness. Don't you think?
Old 8th September 2011
I don't get the point of this vid at all. I can't afford an SSL anyways and it's not the SSL that makes Chris do what he does so well.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanvoth View Post
I don't get the point of this vid at all. I can't afford an SSL anyways and it's not the SSL that makes Chris do what he does so well.
If you can't afford to buy a Boeing or an Airbus, does that mean you will never ever travel?

A full SSL/Neve pro studio can be booked for just 400/day or even for as low as 250/day on shorter term basis.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
If you can't afford to buy a Boeing or an Airbus, does that mean you will never ever travel?

A full SSL/Neve pro studio can be booked for just 400/day or even for as low as 250/day on shorter term basis.
One could easily slip into the idea that you are on a mission, preaching the gospel of SSL to all and sundry.......again. But I still think the thread title was a bit of a trap, if all you wanted to do is to speel your usual SSL psalms.

Jim, Jim, get this man an ice cream......
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhl View Post
Wait time? Seriously? There was more delay on the console transport than what I have in cubase on my mac pro. Yeah, CLA, technology evolves.
Agreed. Using a mouse and keyboard is much quicker to start/stop/FFWD/RWND...if you know how/are used to using them!

I wonder what Serban Ghenea would have to say in response to CLA's comments that people who use computers to mix are slow and "telephone operator" like!
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindell View Post
Gees...give the man some nasal spray for his cold

Thanks for that!!! Hearing his voice has always made want to do the whole bottle of Otrivin....
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear
He does great work and all, but most of what he claims simply isn't true.

Any good PT operator knows how to move round the song as quickly as you can with reels and and SSL. If the bass player wants deeper....it takes no longer to adjust it in PT. Maybe it takes CHRIS longer... Total recall....nothing beats PT there.

I would contend that any DAW operator who is as dedicated to his platform as Chris is to his SSL platform can work as fast as he can. Like everyone, he has his methodology.

Not that any of that matters.
Old 8th September 2011
Jai guru deva om

Did anybody else notice the pair of Slate Pro Audio Dragon compressors in the rack?

War
Old 8th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sptz View Post
Off course he is, just living the dream, getting them pork chops in heh
I get the feeling that he just finished one of those pork chops; he seems to be burping and fighting off the reflux every few minutes...
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

His mix skills are maybe good, but he is totally ''slimy'' person to me, don't like his attitude.
Old 8th September 2011
Quote:

Yes, but my production room doesn't cost that per month...well in pounds or euros at least.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

no one has ever explained to me as much about the SSL as CLA did right there...
brief comments on the layout and top row of sends and returns and also the automation recall basics....yes...basic but insightful!
great guy...great energy.. youthful spirit about stuff....great plugins!
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Reading a copy of a manual would blow your mind heh
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

thats the problem...I NEVER did read any manual.....and my mind has not blown enough!...i think i like the thought of hard work more than the reality!
gonna have to stick to my little midas venice F i guess...for good!
i wish i was Sting!...but CLA would do just fine!..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search