The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sony C37-A Condenser Microphones
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear
Sony C37-A

Anyone here have experience with this microphone on male vocals? What is its frequency response character like? Does it have as much bottom and low mids as the higher end 47 clones?

Thanks.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Guru

I borrowed on for a record a few years ago. We had a ton of mic to choose from, Fet 47, U87, M49, C60, C37, and a couple I can't remember. The C37 sounded fantastic, very warm and present. The vocals on that record feel like the singer is right there next to you.
You can hear samples here
Amazon.com: Vagabonds and Hooligans: Backyard Tire Fire: Music

The song Tom Petty may not be the C37, all other songs are.
Old 7th September 2011
Here for the gear

c37a

Hey,
i've got a c37a and its a great mic, if you are looking for a u47 your not going to find that thing in a the sony, its much more in the 67 ballpark if you ask me.
but the bottom end (at least on mine) isnt the same, its amazing on female vocals, and is sometimes amazing on male vocals. Its quite a dark mic but its quite clear as well. Hopefully that gives you some idea, or at least it gives you an idea about how my sony sounds,
cheers
sean
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear
Hey thanks guys.
Old 7th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotonic View Post
Anyone here have experience with this microphone on male vocals? What is its frequency response character like? Does it have as much bottom and low mids as the higher end 47 clones?

Thanks.
Really a great mic, I have a few, it's a go to female vocal mic for me [think dusty springfield, she recorded most of her famous stuff with it], can be really good on male vox [I think Bruce Botnick used to use one on the Doors, among many others] it's fairly flat, pretty warm, reasonably clear, and rarely sibilant, which is why I like on female voice. Definitely not the lo mid range of my 47, or the quite the 'size' but very 'right there' as Tony said. Great trumpet mic. Try it and see what works...

best-
Jonathan
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

It is a lovely mic that softens harsh vocals is a really pleasing way. Adds a bit of natural compression.
Old 7th September 2011
And they sell for about $3500 to $4000 used... which is absurd to my mind, but there you go!
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear
I believe the josephson c715 is based around the c37 capsule.
Old 7th September 2011
Here for the gear

We have 4 of these. They are NOT dark. Totally sweet vintage sounding mic but a lot of high end presence up past 10k. great on low end instruments and the filter settings on the power supply are useful for high pass filtering. I like to use them as drum room mics or bass amp mics. There is also a little screw on the mic that switches it to omni. great for the aforementioned room mic application.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks.

Listen to Dan Lanois "Here is What is", or "Shine" Records. Also the two Bob Dylan records he did, plus the Willie Nelson, and Emmylou Harris records.

I've used it along with a U47 (m7 capsule), and an M49. The U47 was tougher sounding than both the Sony C37a and the M49; We always gravitated between the C37a and the M49.

The C37a seems to have a sweet spot and you can really get on top of it.

I've always understood the Sony C37a was Sony's answer to the Neumann U47 as an attempt to go after that market. However what Sony came up with was a fantastic and unique sounding microphone that kept competitive pace in the market place.

Below is a recording from late last year with our C37a Piano Vocal.

YouTube Video CLick Here
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Great song, vocals & recording!!!
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Beautiful song, great recording.
Thanks! That's my wife, and songwriting partner.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aremos View Post
Great song, vocals & recording!!!
Thanks much!
Old 11th September 2011
Motown legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancook View Post
...its much more in the 67 ballpark if you ask me...
Actually it's the 67 that's in the C-37A's ballpark because it copied most of the C-37A's features and added a third directional pattern!

The C37-A had all but killed new U47 sales in the U.S. during the late 1950s.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEB View Post
Wow, great sounding mic.

If you had a C37, what would you qualify as a complementary mic in your locker? I'm assuming one that has the low-mids-classic Neumann thing going on...
That C37a in the video travels with us. It also has the original tube that came with the mic; It's the only thing that we've found works on my wife's voice, that or an M49.

The condition of the capsule, and the tube makes a difference. Regardless no matter what pre we used, Helios, Manley VoxBox, or in the case of that song in the video The Henry Hirsch Mic Pre (dubbed the HH, designed Chip Verspyk) worked great.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Actually it's the 67 that's in the C-37A's ballpark because it copied most of the C-37A's features and added a third directional pattern!

The C37-A had all but killed new U47 sales in the U.S. during the late 1950s.
Bob is correct! -Adam
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubehead View Post
Listen to Dan Lanois "Here is What is", or "Shine" Records. Also the two Bob Dylan records he did, plus the Willie Nelson, and Emmylou Harris records.

I've used it along with a U47 (m7 capsule), and an M49. The U47 was tougher sounding than both the Sony C37a and the M49; We always gravitated between the C37a and the M49.

The C37a seems to have a sweet spot and you can really get on top of it.

I've always understood the Sony C37a was Sony's answer to the Neumann U47 as an attempt to go after that market. However what Sony came up with was a fantastic and unique sounding microphone that kept competitive pace in the market place.

Below is a recording from late last year with our C37a Piano Vocal.

YouTube Video CLick Here
Great song! How did you get it to sound so good on Youtube and what compression scheme did you use? You can pm me as to not take the thread off topic.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Sony C37-A

You can hear the c37-a in the classic microphones shootout I posted some months ago on gearslutz.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by obostic View Post
Great song! How did you get it to sound so good on Youtube and what compression scheme did you use? You can pm me as to not take the thread off topic.
Thanks! I did not use any for the audio.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm looking for a pair as it happens.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Head

Slightly off topic, but I'm pretty sure Albini uses this on snare all the time and that guy gets some great snare sounds (his many room character choices help too but...)
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks! I did not use any for the audio.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. What I'm asking is what video format (mpg, mp4, avi, etc.) did you use to upload to YouTube because the video looks and sounds really good on the Youtube site. Most of my videos when uploaded to Youtube sounds like ****.

Thanks,
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by obostic View Post
Sorry if I wasn't clear. What I'm asking is what video format (mpg, mp4, avi, etc.) did you use to upload to YouTube because the video looks and sounds really good on the Youtube site. Most of my videos when uploaded to Youtube sounds like ****.

Thanks,
oops sorry...

The video was shot on my iphone 4, cut in iMovie, exported from iMovie as 960x540 H.264, AAC, Color profile HD(1-1-1). It's an m4v.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
oops sorry...

The video was shot on my iphone 4, cut in iMovie, exported from iMovie as 960x540 H.264, AAC, Color profile HD(1-1-1). It's an m4v.
No problem, that's what I needed. Thanks for the information.
Old 31st October 2011
Quote:

Thanks.
I don't have access to a 47 but the engineer I share my studio with has a U67 and C37a both restored (I think by Korby) I recently tried out the C37a for the first time.

It totally blew me away I felt it was easily as good a mic as the U67 not better and not the same, it was different but really really really GOOD!!

Undervalued if SH prices are anything to go by.
Old 1st November 2011
Lives for gear

As someone said:
Check out the Josephson C715!
Old 1st November 2011
Gear Maniac

Sonically, how do the C800 (non G) and the C38B compare to the C37A?
Old 1st November 2011
Lives for gear

I have a C37P which is purportedly very similar to the C37A; same capsule but not tubed. It is very flat with no presence peak at all, but with a slight rise above 10k, as was noted above. I find it slightly opaque in the mids compared to my Peluso VTB that I've upgraded the coupling and PS caps in. Otherwise, somewhat similar. The VTB is supposed to be similar to the Sony C800G. The stock VTB is sibilant but my modded version is not so much.

Incidentally, I prefer my modded VTB to several U87s that I've compared it to, both old and new. The Sony does not have that larger than life U47 thing; very natural and a bit self effacing. I'm guessing the tube version has a bit more mojo.

I have heard that the C38B is quite similar to the C37P.
Old 1st November 2011
Gear Maniac

Best. Snare. Mic. Ever.heh
Old 8th December 2011
Here for the gear

using the a's on toms today. The p's are great on toms too and rooms. Actually, whenever I think about using a u87 I use the C37p's instead. Be careful though cause the top end can get out of control on you if there are cymbals getting murdered.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search