The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
For All the U87 Haters
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

For All the U87 Haters

This audio was captured with my U87ai and my API A2D straight to disk. A touch of Sonnox EQ and compression on the mix side.

It's Robby Hecht, Elizabeth Foster and Julie Lee performing live in Robby's old house.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

sounds gorgeous!

was all that recorded live with 1 mic in the room? what polar pattern was used?

i can never get my u87ai to sound that upfront with the mic so far away, and i can barely hear the room in it. is the room a fairly dead one?
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Great job! U87 haters are obviously doing something wrong
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Head

I love the sound , nice job
Old 6th September 2011
Here for the gear

Great!

As always not the equipment... but the complaining nature of "blah... blah... blah..."

Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Does sound great!!

got a question though, scratching my head here...

How does one compress side using a mono source?
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Maybe meant that compression and EQ was used on the MIX side of things, not during tracking...
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Nut

Sounds great! I too wonder about the room, must have some treatment?
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Yea great recording OP ! let's show them 87ai haters some love here is a recording I did for singer/songwriter Turner Cody from Brooklyn. It's a 87ai thru a Grace 201 > 1176 . Guitar captured with a Sennheiser MKH40. Processed with a lil Sonnox EQ and a tad CLA76 and LA3A thats it.

don't wanna highjack the thread but we could use it as a 87ai showroom lol, great mic btw yall ai haters

VIDEOLINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irhhe2D69kw
Old 6th September 2011
Here for the gear

His voice sounds very well in that U87ai...
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelrod View Post
This audio was captured with my U87ai and my API A2D straight to disk. A touch of Sonnox EQ and compression on the mix side.

It's Robby Hecht, Elizabeth Foster and Julie Lee performing live in Robby's old house.
Yikes! Some freqs cut into my ears painfully. Overloaded, crackly. I never felt much for the U87, but you almost make me hate it now. Why did you not upload a 720p version, as it will sound much better due to Youtube recompression settings? Or is the original not much better? Sorry, but this is my honest comment. Not meant to piss on you, but you challenged us with your title For All the U87 Haters so I feel allowed to be honest now.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeweedrummer View Post
sounds gorgeous!

was all that recorded live with 1 mic in the room? what polar pattern was used?

i can never get my u87ai to sound that upfront with the mic so far away, and i can barely hear the room in it. is the room a fairly dead one?
thank you kind sir. yes, this is live. as it appears in the video. the video was edited but the audio was not. i believe my U87ai was in cardioid and im pretty sure the filter was engaged. the mic is pretty close and it took us about 6 takes to get a great performance and a great blend at the same time.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bang View Post
Does sound great!!

got a question though, scratching my head here...

How does one compress side using a mono source?
thank you big bang.

i compressed on the mix side of the recording process as opposed to compressing while recording. that is what i meant by the "mix side".
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
Yikes! Some freqs cut into my ears painfully. Overloaded, crackly. I never felt much for the U87, but you almost make me hate it now. Why did you not upload a 720p version, as it will sound much better due to Youtube recompression settings? Or is the original not much better? Sorry, but this is my honest comment. Not meant to piss on you, but you challenged us with your title For All the U87 Haters so I feel allowed to be honest now.
i had no control over the upload of this media. i too wonder why it was not uploaded at 720p.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

You can still hear the "87" resonances creeping through but it does sound balanced thanks to the distance. Any closer to the mic and this thread would have been titled "For All the U87 Lovers".
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Nice song
Old 6th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
You can still hear the "87" resonances creeping through but it does sound balanced thanks to the distance. Any closer to the mic and this thread would have been titled "For All the U87 Lovers".
Yea! Let's discuss how bad would this recording be if it wasn't done well, and blame the 87 for that...
Axelrod, great recording, good sounding room, great performance! The mic is just a tool. You knew how to use it.

p.s. what "87" resonances?
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Sounds great. Good job! End of Story. U87= good mic. For all the people with aching ears: Get a grip. Sound hurts. Such is life.
Old 7th September 2011
The performance is great. Good job!
I can't say I love the mic here though. Kinda cold and a bit harsh in the upper mids... I owned the U87Ai for awhile and sold it last year cause it just wasn't my thing. I'm not a U87 hater. It's a good mic, but there are just others I generally prefer.
Old 7th September 2011
Sounds pretty good. Sounds like an 87 for sure.

Not sure I like it on his voice, but it sounds good on the female vox.

Cool tune. Seems like a talented guy, and so do the ladies.

Just one question though, I listened to other clips on the youtube sidebar of Robby Hecht, had never heard of him...all of them are like one mic in a room like this.

Why?

Is the dude anti more than one mic or something? Some underground one mic protest indie folk thing?

You would think if whomever is tracking the thing could afford a Neumann, they could afford a couple other shure's or something to catch the other singers and the gtr?

I mean the clip you posted is cool, but why not mic it up better, if this is going up for the world to see?

Forgive me if I offend (not my intention), I am just curious why the one mic "home studio" type approach is used on almost every video?

Does he not care about getting a better sound?

Thanks,
john
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear
nobody hate U87 if..

NOBODY hates U87ai if they cut their price to a more "reasonable" price.
Neumann switch U87 to Fet to reduce the cost of manufacture, let's face it. (Knock out all those XXXX excuses such as "they switch it to fet because it's more convenience....if i want convenience i would use iphone to record."). However it didn't reflect on the price much.
AKG C414 can cut their price down to US$ 999 for their FET.
Many people don't see why Neumann U87"ai" should be as expensive as US$3199? That's 3.2times higher! But is it also the cost of manufacture?
AKG ain't small company, they are legendary just like Neumann.

Lawson "TUBE" L47 is cost as low as $1999, and L251 is as low as $2495.
I would take these two mics anytime ahead of U87ai.

Another example, Brauner Microphones Phantom-V FET, US$ 2990
Manley Reference Cardioid "TUBE" Microphone US$ 2700.

This is why U87ai's haters start to hate. I would say most U87ai haters don't mind using U87ai so does the AVID HD haters. But only if they pay what they deserved.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTON IN ORBIT View Post

Just one question though, I listened to other clips on the youtube sidebar of Robby Hecht, had never heard of him...all of them are like one mic in a room like this.

Why?

Is the dude anti more than one mic or something? Some underground one mic protest indie folk thing?

You would think if whomever is tracking the thing could afford a Neumann, they could afford a couple other shure's or something to catch the other singers and the gtr?
I think you're totally missing the point. I for one really like the honesty and immediacy of a single mic with a song like this. It's a very cool presentation if you ask me. I don't miss close micing of the other sources one bit. Refreshing really.

Great job Axelrod. Sure there might be better mics out there for the job, but this is a classic case of the song/performance outweighing Gearslutz geekery. You put it in a good spot and captured a great performance. Mission accomplished.

Robby has a great, classic sounding voice. His delivery reminds me of a young James Taylor at times.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Freaking beautfiul song and performance!

I love how they "mixed" themselves into the mic. Very enjoyable to watch a listen.

Which recording studio was this?

Regards
Josef Horhay
Mixing Engineer
www.acoosticzoo.com
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darc View Post
Yea great recording OP ! let's show them 87ai haters some love here is a recording I did for singer/songwriter Turner Cody from Brooklyn. It's a 87ai thru a Grace 201 > 1176 . Guitar captured with a Sennheiser MKH40. Processed with a lil Sonnox EQ and a tad CLA76 and LA3A thats it.

don't wanna highjack the thread but we could use it as a 87ai showroom lol, great mic btw yall ai haters

VIDEOLINK: Turner Cody - Don´t refuse me my darling - YouTube
Whats that V72 doing in the box next to him?
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

i love how they mixed themselves too. it was the large attic in robby's old house in east nashville, not a recording studio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcoosticZoo View Post
Freaking beautfiul song and performance!

I love how they "mixed" themselves into the mic. Very enjoyable to watch a listen.

Which recording studio was this?

Regards
Josef Horhay
Mixing Engineer
www.acoosticzoo.com
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakco View Post
I think you're totally missing the point. I for one really like the honesty and immediacy of a single mic with a song like this. It's a very cool presentation if you ask me. I don't miss close micing of the other sources one bit. Refreshing really.

Great job Axelrod. Sure there might be better mics out there for the job, but this is a classic case of the song/performance outweighing Gearslutz geekery. You put it in a good spot and captured a great performance. Mission accomplished.

Robby has a great, classic sounding voice. His delivery reminds me of a young James Taylor at times.
thanks for saying, zakco. im very flattered. robby is one bad mother****er! and elizabeth and julie are amazing as well. julie has an album coming out soon that is sure to be stellar.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelrod View Post
thank you big bang.

i compressed on the mix side of the recording process as opposed to compressing while recording. that is what i meant by the "mix side".

I read "mid side" !!!

Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

I like it alot.

Refreshing.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc449 View Post
Neumann switch U87 to Fet to reduce the cost of manufacture, let's face it. (Knock out all those XXXX excuses such as "they switch it to fet because it's more convenience....if i want convenience i would use iphone to record."). However it didn't reflect on the price much...
Say, what?

Neumann did not "switch the U87 to FET". The U87 has always been a tripolar FET condenser mic, since the day it was first introduced in 1967.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky Media View Post
Say, what?

Neumann did not "switch the U87 to FET". The U87 has always been a tripolar FET condenser mic, since the day it was first introduced in 1967.
u misunderstood me.
I mean switch u87's design to Fet from u67's.
Neumann couldnt convinced us why they give up the tube circuit that used by U67 and switch it to a new Fet circuit with AA battery slots for U87 vintage.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search