The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD Satellite and ULN-8 Audio Interfaces
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

UAD Satellite and ULN-8

I have 2 UAD cards in my old G5, and lots of their plug-ins. Now running a 4-core Imac, of course no PCI slots. Wondering if anyone has had success or not, with the firewire hub on the satellite. That is--running both the ULN-8 and the Satellite on the one firewire port. Thanks from Canuck land.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

MH thinks there is not enough bandwidth on a single FW port for both units to run together. UAD says all I need to do is adjust the bandwidth on the Satellite.
Hmmm?
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Nut

Where are those previously advertised FireWire-thunderbolt adapters?! Assuming you have an iMac with tb. When (if) they are finally brought to market, there's your solution. Sorry, no other feedback, just thought of that solution which would be great - if there would be adapters.
TBH, I think it's strange Apple didn't make those adapters but instead are relying on 3rd parties to bring various tb adapters to market.
Getting OT now, just a point regarding this type of interfacing dilemmas...
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

Thanks Tyro, yep, love the Imac, 4 cores, 16 gigs ram, Thunderbolt, lovely machine, I'll be patient for the adaptors.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

I use a MacBook Pro and have found that my Satellite Quad likes its own Firewire 800 port connection. It is most happy all by itself. Until then I was having hub problems. So much so that I purchased a StarTech EC1394B2 ExpressCard34 for the express slot. It is the one recommended and endorsed by UAD on their FAQ and support page. Since then I have had no problems at all. I give my Satellite its own firewire port on the StarTech , my Powercore X8 its own on the dedicated MacBook Pro port. If I need to use more firewire, I use the other firewire port on the Express card (there are two) . However, when I do that I share bandwidth with the UAD. The beauty of the Express card is that it truly gives me an extra firewire port without seeing the existing firewire port on the MacBook. So no interfering bandwidth.

I am awaiting the Thunderbolt peripheries too. Right now the only ones coming very soon are PCI card adapters. This has me contemplating a Quad PCI card. I have been in touch with Sonnet about the Allegro FW800 Thunderbolt Adapter and was told last week it has been delayed due to the high cost of certain components.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfield View Post
Thanks Tyro, yep, love the Imac, 4 cores, 16 gigs ram, Thunderbolt, lovely machine, I'll be patient for the adaptors.
Yep, love mine as well, I guess I have about the same machine as you, but with "only" 12gigs of ram

BUT - it would be so great if disk/enclosure manufacturers could release their Tb external drives already (ok except the already released ones, but those are a little overkill for what I need at least) and the adapters become available.

Looking at Sonnet's website now, at least they have an ExpressCard 34 adapter in the works, slated for release in October. I guess I'll buy that to hold me over, already have a FW800 card and big FW800 disk from my MBP days so that would at least give me separate FW800 busses, and would work for you as well. I admit it feels a bit clunky to use a card in an adapter like that, but if it works and is priced right... then OK.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search