The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Console Malfunction "Christmas Tree"
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Console Malfunction "Christmas Tree"

Hi All,

I encountered a new term the other day and I thought I'd ask if more people use it than just the person I heard it from. Apparently, the channel strips in the SSL Duality are so gently mounted in the frame that the pins connecting each strip to the motherboard can shift in the connector and short circuit the channel. When this happens, the channel starts blinking and clicking uncontrollably. The only solution is to pull the channel out and re-seat it. Apparently, the term for this is "Christmas Tree-ing" because of how the strip lights up as its short circuiting. Has anyone else ever heard this term before?
Old 6th September 2011
When it comes to SSL specifically, Christmas tree usually refers to the simultaneous mix / record mode with VCA to monitors active. This is the first thing that comes to mind when I hear SSL and "Christmas Tree", but I can understand the descriptive analogy being used with a hardware failure too. Guess the Israelis are glad to hear that they are immune from these types of problems with their gear.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

"Christmas tree" is the engineer's name for a wire tagging block or wire terminal block
Here is a photograph and info I got from the Canford Audio U.K. site to show you.
Looking sideways to the block it looks like a Christmas tree.

1823.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Console Malfunction "Christmas Tree"-christmas-tree.jpg  
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

All my console had "Christmas Trees" in them. Still do.

Modern day console don't have them anymore.

It's an old term / technology in the industry... but still a useful one.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search