The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
can i run from the speaker output of my vox ac15 into a UA610's DI input? Channel Strips
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

can i run from the speaker output of my vox ac15 into a UA610's DI input?

before i start blowing **** up, i thought id ask this.

ive got this UA 6176 i want to use to DI a guitar, and thought id give it some sizzle first by running through my ac15, but i have to do this at night in a non-studio environment.

i know, i know. rebook, reschedule. maybe i can. but i want to try this first.

will the speaker out from the AC15 blow my 6176 to hell? it will, right? it's an 8 or 16 ohm output, going into like a 50,000 ohm input. i know the rule and it's not broken, input can be higher than output, but is this breaking some *other* rule ? like the current level from the speaker out being way too high?

[and if DI in is no good, can I use line in on the 6176?]

the other option is to run through both channels of the AC15 doing the old daisychaining of the channels thing, run them both hard-ish, and take the last output daisychain into the DI signal, right? the old hendrix trick for wiring together lots of marshall heads by daisychaining the input/output thing?

but then id have to disconnect the speaker so it'd make no sound, the amp would get no load at its output, and the whole thing would melt down. right?

anyone done this successfully?
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yikes. Don't do this. Your 6176 will be "all blowed up"!!!
Old 6th September 2011
mml
Gear Addict

yeah, this is a very bad idea. The only way to use a speaker level to send to a DI is if the DI has a speaker level switch on it AND you load the amp with another live speaker. What you want to do can't be done silently to my knowledge, unless you have a speaker isolation box, and then you might as well mic it.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

yeah i dont want to turn a whole city block into a michael bay movie, id better not try this little idea
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search