The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Great, small, active monitors Studio Monitors
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Great, small, active monitors

Hi guys,

I am looking for a pair of small active speakers for home editing, listening etc. In the studio I use mostly NS-10s and would like something neutral or maybe a little midrangey at my home desktop... It is a plus but not a must if the speakers accept both balanced and unbalanced line level.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Gunnar
Old 5th September 2011
Jai guru deva om

Neumann KH-120 are a real stand out in the small size category. Surprisingly deep and loud, but not hyped. Their top end is very open but smooth and pleasant, a good presence to them. Bass extension is easily comparable to 6+" models we've used.

War
Old 5th September 2011
Second the Neumann KH120a. Received mine today but am still putting my new studio together so will not be able to listen to them for a good few days yet. But they look great.

Keith.
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

I use the Yamaha HS50m's and couldn't be more satisfied. I also use them with the Yamaha HS10w sub. They don't sound like the NS10's, but are very accurate and sound frigging great. They also have a midrange switch to adjust to your liking.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Head

Yamaha HS50m's. Just got them 2 weeks ago and they are great. I was given some KRK VXT 6's to use for a about 8 months but had to give them back. I really liked them and had gotten used to them, but the HS50m's have really proved to be just right. Good detail and price. Had to figuer out the low end but thats done now.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear
My friend has some focal cms40's and they sound pretty terrific.
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

Oh and btw, NS10's ARE neutral, i.e., "flat". Tha's what makes them so popular still today. And the HS50m's are basically the same thing, but powered, and a completely different design all together. Not sure if you're looking for hi-end or something that's a simple work horse that sounds great. I say HS50m's all the way. The Focals are obviously great as well, but for thr $...have a look see.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

NS10's are anything BUT neutral.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibiru View Post
Oh and btw, NS10's ARE neutral, i.e., "flat". Tha's what makes them so popular still today.
Their freq. response says otherwise..

Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

I have a pair of Adam A5 at home for exactly the same purpose. I think they are great and very affordable too. Those ribbon tweeters are smooth and nice and the midrange feels solid. Not super deep in the bass but hey, you're used to NS-10
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Ha! You have NS-10s and you want something "mid-rangey"?
Bonkers mate.

You want something with some actual top and bottom end.

I have a pair of KRK RP5's to complement my NS-10s. Works great for me. Of course the bottom end isn't great with the 5" driver but my home mixes translate pretty well. Lot of it is about learning them though....

Interested in the K+Hs Warren mentioned. Big bux, no doubt though.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Head

A5's would be a solid set up at home...

I prefer them to the NS-10's
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

He wants something midrangey for home he HAS NS10'S AT WORK :+)
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear
Adam's are known for their "slight" up front boost in the mid range, in only a good-way as it's very accurate, so probably something to consider. Adams main strenghts are the mid range and top end, bass is still good, but better on their higher on monitors naturally.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveUK View Post
He wants something midrangey for home he HAS NS10'S AT WORK :+)
NS-10s would work in that case. I expect....
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRB View Post
Ha! You have NS-10s and you want something "mid-rangey"?
Bonkers mate.
I get your point of course and I did not mean more mid range than the NS-10, just wanted to tell you what I am used too.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your replies!
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

I suppose yeah why not get some more NS10's .stick with what you know and loathe.

Sent from my X10i using Gearslutz.com App
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Good point but i want smaller and active.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Those new small active genelecs are excellent. Smaller the better for that "mid-rangier" sound

Don't think you will really get anything comparable to NS-10s for home.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Alesis ? Monitor one mk2 actives pretty decent and dirt cheap

Sent from my X10i using Gearslutz.com App
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear
if u want an active version of Yamaha reference speakers, get msp7 or msp10. (I prefer 10 better but it's discontinued again damn it)
Old 6th September 2011
Here for the gear

neumann 120. I have them in a 5.1 setup, waiting on the new sub, using gallo 10" sub till then. For the price- great- sound, flexibilty, size, looks.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm using Adam A3X monitors with Sub7 subwoofer to offer some bottom-end relief to the speakers. This combo sounds VERY good for typical close distance monitoring (right and left from your monitor, like computer speakers). Balanced and unbalanced, tweeter regulator, front switches. The price is another surprise. One of my best price/quality investments of the past year. I've put them on foldable arms at ear's heigth left and right from my screen, so that I can easily move them out of the way, without them taking up any desk space.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Adam A7s have a very forward midrange. I use them for listening at home (as well as monitoring when in the studio) and they're really nice to listen to IMHO. The top end is so fantastically smooth...
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

8020b´s?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search