The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studios with great drum rooms for rock music in or near Germany Channel Strip Plugins
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Studios with great drum rooms for rock music in or near Germany

Hi all,

I'm starting a production soon and we'd like to do a 3-4 day recording session in a studio that has a great room for rock productions. I've contacted already studios like Peppermint Park studios, our first choice, but they are booked out during the time I want to record. I'm amazed how many studios have not yet answered my inquiry. I don't want to give any names because their might be legitimate reasons for this although it is quite frustrating.

Anyhoo, I'm looking for suggestions. I want to go top notch. We would like it to be in Germany but Holland (Benelux area), Switzerland, Austria would also be fine. We are looking for a studio with a great vibe as well.

Also important would be to have a large console (SSL 4000, Neve Legend, whatever).

Links to the studios would also be a great help!

Thanx!
Dennis
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hi Dennis
I´d recommend Prinzipal Studios in Senden (near Münster), probably one of the best places for rock in Germany. Another good option is Hardstudios in Winterthur/Swiss with a great sounding liveroom, though they recently exchanged their SSL4k with a digital Studer desk.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Maybe out of your desired geography... but in London the Pool studios run by Miloco is a fantastic room to record drums in.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks guys, I had completely forgotten about Prinzipal Studios. I'll check your suggestions out.

@ Chevron, thanks but unfortunately we are not prepared to travel so far with this kit. We want to be able to drive with a car from Germany and my left lane driving skills are, er, to be desired

Dennis
Old 5th September 2011
Basel city studios. contact breandon davey (in house engineer) and say hi from george. maybe the best rocksounds I have ever recorded (if you like large ). Basel is on the German border.. so... Not that much traveling.
Old 5th September 2011
One more thing: the best sounding console/studio/mics are worth nothing if the people in there suck..
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
One more thing: the best sounding console/studio/mics are worth nothing if the people in there suck..
Yup. Gonna record myself. Just need the facilities. But it is very important that the personel are on par.

Thanks for the tip! Will write him now.

Cheers,
Dennis
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

Hi Dennis,

do you have a tight schedule for those recordings?

there is Galaxy Studios in Mol, Belgium. API Vision and really good sounding studios plus there are enough hotels to stay the night in the city of Mol.
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

Check out:

Voxklang Studio near Hamburg.

VOX Klangstudio | Voxklang - Bendestorf - Das Tonstudio f

One of the best recording rooms in Germany!
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

and there's me ;-) I think you heard at least the drum room on the "Sons of seasons" Album you mixed.....

cheers,

wolfgang
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Audio View Post
Hi Dennis,

do you have a tight schedule for those recordings?

there is Galaxy Studios in Mol, Belgium. API Vision and really good sounding studios plus there are enough hotels to stay the night in the city of Mol.
Thanks, I've written them a week ago and have yet to had any response. Cheers though!
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolstudio View Post
and there's me ;-) I think you heard at least the drum room on the "Sons of seasons" Album you mixed.....

cheers,

wolfgang
Hi Wolfgang! Your link (http://www.tool-house.com/) is not working!

Cheers,
Dennis
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoman View Post
Check out:

Voxklang Studio near Hamburg.

VOX Klangstudio | Voxklang - Bendestorf - Das Tonstudio f

One of the best recording rooms in Germany!
Thanks, will give them a shout! I'm visiting Hamburg right now anyway.

DW
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I'd recommend this one:
tonstudio katzer | Nürnberg
Very new, a very nice place in my town with great sound. Booked it for an acoustic session in December this year. 90 square meters recording room, 6 meters high, plus 2 more dry rooms.
Greetz from Nürnberg,
T
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-hiho View Post
I'd recommend this one:
tonstudio katzer | Nürnberg
Very new, a very nice place in my town with great sound. Booked it for an acoustic session in December this year. 90 square meters recording room, 6 meters high, plus 2 more dry rooms.
Greetz from Nürnberg,
T
Thank you, I will check it out!

DW
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear
It certainly has the best promo video ever.............I mean EVAR......

This is hilarious.

Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

301 in Cologne
Tritonus in Berlin
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
301 in Cologne
Tritonus in Berlin
Wow! 301 is sweet! Just dropped them a mail.

I can't find any homepage for Tritonus, any chance of "pointing" me there?

Thanks for the suggestions!

DW
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

If you want massive Drum sounds and a different vibe and are prepared to come to the UK, try Trev at Circle Studios. Birmingham's not too expensive and the currys are great.....
Old 6th September 2011
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyspiller View Post
If you want massive Drum sounds and a different vibe and are prepared to come to the UK, try Trev at Circle Studios. Birmingham's not too expensive and the currys are great.....
Yeah, it would be nice but we're not prepared to travel with all our gear so far.
Thanks for your input!

DW
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by basmartin View Post
Looks cool! Thank you.

DW
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I second some of the above mentioned.

For a big and really great sounding room I recommend 301 in cologne.
If I were you I´d call them and try to get Ulli (Studiomanager) or Florian on the phone.
The other really great rooms are VOXklang, Tritonus and Hansa (especially I you like the vibe of so many big records recorded in the rooms you´ll work in).
But there is one left with a big vibe and tons of wonderful sounding rooms all over the place -> have a look at the studios like planetroc etc. settled down in the old Funkhaus at Nalepastr. in Berlin.
planet roc
http://www.nalepastrasse.de/

Another cool one with a really nice vibe is Clouds Hill Recordings in Hamburg.
Clouds Hill Recordings Hamburg
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm still flabbergasted as to how few studios have replied to my inquiries....

Guess not every needs the $

This will be a very important rock production and we want to get out of our local area in order to have clear heads and to distract us from any domestic problems. We want a great vibe... this can be defined in many ways. I'm working with one of the biggest budgets I have had in years so it's important to us that we get something that really lets the creative juices flow.

I must have contact 12 studios now and to date only 3 of them have replied. This is a turn off.

DW
Old 6th September 2011
Belgium? ICP Studios in Bruxelles is the nuts...although John the owner, lovely guy as he is, is also not the best at getting back to people...if you're interested, PM me and I can put you in touch with the efficient ones!
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiner View Post
I second some of the above mentioned.

For a big and really great sounding room I recommend 301 in cologne.
If I were you I´d call them and try to get Ulli (Studiomanager) or Florian on the phone.
The other really great room are VOXklang, Tritonus and Hansa (especially I you like the vibe of so many big records recorded in the rooms you´ll work in).
But there is one left with a big vibe and tons of wonderful sounding rooms all over the place -> have a look at the studios like planetroc etc. settled down in the old Funkhaus at Nalepastr. in Berlin.
planet roc
http://www.nalepastrasse.de/

An other cool one with a really nice vibe is Clouds Hill Recordings in Hamburg.
Clouds Hill Recordings Hamburg
Thanks for the suggestions. I've contacted 301 already. I'll give the others a look as well.

Best,
DW
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Belgium? ICP Studios in Bruxelles is the nuts...although John the owner, lovely guy as he is, is also not the best at getting back to people...if you're interested, PM me and I can put you in touch with the efficient ones!
Nice place! Dropped them a mail!

Thanks!
DW
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

ICP studios has replied

Nice.

DW
Old 6th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordward View Post
ICP studios has replied

Nice.

DW
Cool that's more prompt than normal! let us know where you decide to go
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Cool that's more prompt than normal! let us know where you decide to go
Will do, just waiting for a quote...
Man, I don't know if I want to record there or take a vacation there
The place is huge! Why have I never heard of it???

DW

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search