The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
String Quartett Recording Condenser Microphones
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

String Quartett Recording

I´m having a string Quartett in the studio this week and I was wondering how you guys record them - who sits where (do you put the cello in the middle?) or do you record them as they are used to sit when playing live?
Old 5th September 2011
post your questions in Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording. you will get a lot more viewings there.
Old 5th September 2011
Also explain what the recording is. The answer is quite different if they're playing rep, or if you're putting a string quartet on a pop tune.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remot...ed-advice.html
maybe some ideas there for quartet too
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

its string quartett on a pop tune..
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
its string quartett on a pop tune..
George Martin put a close mic on each instrument and recorded them all to one track. The he did it again on another track.
= Eleanor Rigby

I would use a stereo pair coincident with them in a tight semicircle. Or mic each instrument from about a foot away and mix to taste. Be sure they are in a comfortable arrangement for playing and seeing each other, usually that is the semicircle as if on stage. Some like the two violins together, some have one at each end. Sort of depends on whether they are session musicians or a group that plays together a lot.

Best luck!
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

String Quartett Recording

Just got great results last week with a string quartet. I used a faulkner pair of Coles 4038's with an omni tube mic in the center (Peluso 2247). Quartet was behind a set of gobos. Mics were arrayed in a similar fashion to a Decca tree. I also used 4 spots - including 2 SM81's a KSM32 and a Shure KSM313.

This was for several pop tunes. The players arranged themselves in a traditional semicircle - Violin, Violin, Viola and Cello.

Hope this helps! If I were you, I would try to get a kickass sound with your mains and only augment with spot mics if needed.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search