The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Slut advice needed... Audio Interfaces
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut

Slut advice needed...

I'm putting together a mobile recording rig for a recording co-op. I've decided to go with 8 channels of millennia but I'm not sure about the converters. I just need 8 channels of input and a stereo output that can be easily connected to a laptop (Mac) and used with ProTools, Logic, Ableton Live, Reaper, and Digital Performer.

Any suggestions/wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Head

The black lion MOTU interfaces are highly underrated. They work
with everything, have stable drivers and are easily expandable. I have a friend that has used the same interface since 1999 and he's still putting out pretty damn good sounding recordings.
I can't think of any other manufacturer that still has drivers for their 20th century products. YMMV
Old 6th September 2011
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_Guy View Post
I just need 8 channels of input and a stereo output that can be easily connected to a laptop (Mac) and used with ProTools, Logic, Ableton Live, Reaper, and Digital Performer.
The iZ "ADA" is probably the best sounding product for that application... and its expandable to 16 &/or 24 as your requirements may expand.

Best of luck with your search.

Peace
Old 6th September 2011
There are two schools of thought here. The first is to just buy what you need right now and then if you want/need to expand down the line you can sell certain pieces and buy whatever you want/need at that point. The other is to make a smarter purchase up front and allow yourself the ability to expand as time goes on.

Since you are looking to directly connect to a laptop your options need to include either FW or USB i/o. The Lynx Aurora with the LT-USB or LT-FW LSlot card installed is probably your best bet as it is both cost effective and outstanding conversion. You can go with either the Aurora8 or Aurora16. My recommendation is to go with the Aurora16 as that will give you room to grow as time goes on, and there isn't too much of a cost difference for double the i/o (analog and digital).
Old 6th September 2011
Jai guru deva om

If we're talking budget here, the Steinberg MR816X is excellent stuff and even the preamps are quite nice. For line in and out as well as great sound, the Echo Audiofire12 is a very simple box with nice metering as well.

If we're talking higher end conversion ONLY and not the interface, the Mytek 8x192 is stellar and comes with multiple i/o cards for interfacing. The firewire on the Mytek though is not exactly something we would want to rely on as far as latency induced (quite high in our experience), and I would suggest if you went that route to run it AES in and out of something like an RME interface for low latency and routing.

The Lynx is very nice stuff, and performs nicely within its price range. I've used their converters but cannot comment on using it firewire etc and what kind of latency might be happening. It may be perfectly fast with no worries, I wish I had more info on that at this time. They certainly sound great.

Lots of good choices really, it seems firewire will be your friend.

War
Old 10th September 2011
And behind Pimp Door Number#4
There is Adam recommending a Prism Orpheus, which is a FANTASTIC sounding interface to my ear.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search