The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sony C-38b vs C-48 vs C-38b reissue? Condenser Microphones
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Head

Sony C-38b vs C-48 vs C-38b reissue?

Hey Slutz,

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of the differences between these two mics? Very little info online.

I'm mainly interested in using for Kick Out ... I know the C38 was used a lot for that position at Abbey Road in the late 60's. Would the C48 be an equal choice there?

Also, word is the new C38 reissue is dead on design with the "vintage" model ... anyone hear different?

Many Thanks!
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Head

Bump in the night
Old 5th May 2012
Gear Head

Just Bought a C38b from the 70´s...
Old 5th May 2012
Jai guru deva om

I saw that auction, congrats on that.

Been considering bringing an original C38B in myself, and then grabbing a new one from Sony to compare.

The issue being the USA Sony distributor only has them built to order, which likely has a wait time of over 2 months so...not an easy mic to source currently (new).

War
Old 6th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm mainly interested in using for Kick Out ...
Not sure if this helps, but I use a C-37p on K OUT pretty regularly. It definitely does that chesty thump thing. I've not a/b'd it with the U-47 fet or any other popular fet condenser choices for this application.
Old 6th May 2012
Lives for gear

i have these 3, and they 48 and 38/37 don't sound anything alike. the 48 is much more hi-fi sounding. still a very natural top, but more extended than the 38 and 37. all 3 are extremely useful mics. I can "hear" the electronics in the 48, whereas the other 2 are more transparent. the 37p and 38b sounded remarkably similar- the 37 often getting used more for vocals and acoustics, and the 38 for other instruments.
Old 16th December 2012
Bump! Anyone compared a vintage to the reissue? Thinking of getting a new one.
Old 18th October 2013
Here for the gear

I've directly compared a vintage C38B with the new reissue version and they sound almost identical. I have a couple vintage ones and I was borrowing a new one when I did the comparison. I felt the vintage one had a tiny bit more warmth .. or that the new one had a little more top end, but that could well be just because the old one is .. well old, or perhaps a little dirty or something. Basically I felt that the new ones were definitely an exact copy. Great sounding mics for almost anything!
Old 26th October 2013
Gear Head

I have a couple of older C-38Bs and what I heard somewhere ( so take it with a grain of salt) is that the mics have been in continuous production since their introduction. Their availability in the US has been intermittent. However old C-38Bs can be had for $800-1100 so I'm not sure why you would buy a new one unless you can get a smokin' good deal.
Mine work great for overheads, bass, snare etc. and have a really high quality build.
I love mine.
Old 26th October 2013
Gear Addict

c-38's are really awesome, I love that mic on a guitar cab.
Old 26th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwTAC View Post
c-38's are really awesome, I love that mic on a guitar cab.
Love it on brass! Thanx to fletcher for turning me on to this mic it's my go to mic for brass, and some female vocals too. It's got a really nice mid range to boot!
Old 26th October 2013
Gear Addict

they'll pretty much work in any application that youd think about using a ribbon. have about the same output too. similar kind of vibe.
Old 26th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwTAC View Post
they'll pretty much work in any application that youd think about using a ribbon. have about the same output too. similar kind of vibe.
My only prob is that I overpaid mine!
Old 23rd May 2014
Here for the gear
Sony C-48 Demo

Love our C-48 so much we made a video about it.
Old 23rd May 2014
I have two C48s and they are as close to vintage Neumann U87i as you can get. They are not exactly the same, but like I said, as close as nothing else. There is also exactly the same functionality on both (HPF, three patterns, battery compartment, pad, transistor based circuit with output transformer).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search