The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UK Slutz: What courier to send hi-end gear insured? Digital Converters
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

UK Slutz: What courier to send hi-end gear insured?

Hi chaps (UK based specifically),

Who are we all using to send our pricey pieces around the country, for example for repair or selling on ebay.

I've had to send off my Buzz Pre for quick repair and with £2500 insurance cover (still £100 shy of RRP inc VAT) it cost approx £160 to send it to London.

If I had the time it'd be cheaper to drive it but I was desperate and after surfing around for an hour or so that was the best deal.

Pro Audio, Pro Prices eh?

Cheers,
Rich
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

I've not sent anything insured for £2k+

I've sent a TR909 fully insured for £1k for £25ish with Royal Mail and a large 40kg Primare A32 power amp to Holland , insured for £1500, all for less than £100 with DHL (using their phone service quote as their online one seems to be for business express)

good luck
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

To be honest if you use UPS and make sure you label the package well and pack the stuff good inside.. just send it without insurance, it will be fine, why get screwed for £160..
I use UPS booked through Interparcel, usually costs £9, they have never lost a package and ive sent tons of stuff regularly with them for many years, they have never broken anything either as i pack stuff really well, they could play football with the stuff i send- would still arrive ok.
Just a thought.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichT View Post
Hi chaps (UK based specifically),

Who are we all using to send our pricey pieces around the country, for example for repair or selling on ebay.

I've had to send off my Buzz Pre for quick repair and with £2500 insurance cover (still £100 shy of RRP inc VAT) it cost approx £160 to send it to London.

If I had the time it'd be cheaper to drive it but I was desperate and after surfing around for an hour or so that was the best deal.

Pro Audio, Pro Prices eh?

Cheers,
Rich
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac
www.interpacel.com is a good site to check. Uses all the main couriers and you can play around with various criteia including insurance to get a good quote. Use them regulary.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJB06 View Post
just send it without insurance, it will be fine, why get screwed for £160..
Because to replace the item would cost £2600, and if it gets lost and it's not covered, that's on me. How brave do I feel? Not very. I've had stuff get lost before. I hate couriers and somehow they know it...

Anyhoo, Interparcel.com was one of the sites I was getting quotes from yesterday and they only insure to £1500.

I went through Parcel2go.com to get £2500 cover and it was cheapest via DHL for £122.50 ex VAT, postage not included.

I'd be happier if someone just chipped in with 'shut up Rich, it just costs that much' as I can't believe that all pros are taking a risk sending their gear round the country uninsured.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah , definitely don't send it without insurance.

I used to work at a large regional sort centre for a parcel couriers and witnessed first hand expensive kit get chewed up by the machinery.

Also , write your name and address on a slip and tape it to the item, I usually tape it inside a flimsy plastic CD sleave. You'd be surprised how many parcels get lost due to rain leaking into the vans and smudging all the address details written on the box.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

rich,

have you tried Royal mail special delivery? I've sent a lynx aurora with that - insured around £2200 and I think it cost about £25... Not sure what the upper limit on weight or insurance is but they are worth a look for smaller expensive items!

Cheers
Iain
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Hutch View Post
rich,

have you tried Royal mail special delivery? I've sent a lynx aurora with that - insured around £2200 and I think it cost about £25... Not sure what the upper limit on weight or insurance is but they are worth a look for smaller expensive items!

Cheers
Iain
Thanks for replying Iain,

I did try the post office to send it special delivery but apparently my box dimensions and weight added up to greater than the maximum allowed by Special Delivery, typical!

They suggested Parcel Force otherwise it would probably just get sent back to me but they wanted something silly too so I slunk out of the post office to find a better price on the web.

I'll be interested to see how much the return delivery from the repair firm will be too...

Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

If you've checked services like interparcel.com and it's still expensive I hate to say you're wrong BUT I sent a 30kg Mac Pro + PTHD2 cards + Rosetta 800 parcel to GREECE for about £280 insured for £5k so I'm surprised that Portsmouth to London is that expensive.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapeOpAl View Post
If you've checked services like interparcel.com and it's still expensive I hate to say you're wrong BUT I sent a 30kg Mac Pro + PTHD2 cards + Rosetta 800 parcel to GREECE for about £280 insured for £5k so I'm surprised that Portsmouth to London is that expensive.
No, no! This is exactly what I was looking for when I started the thread. Who did you send it through?

I spent about an hour on various sites (which in the grand scheme of things probably isn't THAT long) but if there's an area of the interparcel site I missed, please share

I've written off the £160 mentally as I needed to get the item posted but for future posting I need any tips you can give me.

Cheers,
Rich
Old 6th September 2011
I hate to say it but you could have driven to London and back by now. I very often just drive. The distances really arent that great in this country. When I dont I use fedex or UPS and eat the cost. It will be what it will be.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear
I had a problem with my uln8 and had to send it back a few times. ( metric halo were brilliant btw) and interparcel were very good.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm with Trev on this one - 4 hour round trip to collect some Genelec monitors from north of Bolton back to the SE early on a Sunday morning. Sent some stuff to Austria and Germany via Interparcel and they were great but max value was £1000 for the goods I was sending.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yes, maximum insurance is £1000 for all Parcels booked with Interparcel, which is a bit of a pain.
If im selling something and its expensive and im shipping it to the buyer, ill always get the insurance, you can be sure if there is a problem, the guy is going to do a Paypal chargeback... so im not playing that game.
But my own gear, honestly usually i dont bother, having said that i used to buy and sell a lot of gear and be sending gear off to get repaired, couriers would be coming round all the time and id just ship it off UPS uninsured booked through Interparcel- never had a problem, but i dont use couriers much any more, i think the last few packages i did send i did insure, i think i must be getting more cautious in my old age heh
I too find that Special delivery is the best value / service for small light items, for inland UK, ill use UPS through Interparcel, for overseas ill use Fedex through Interparcel. Those are the best value / service imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyspiller View Post
I'm with Trev on this one - 4 hour round trip to collect some Genelec monitors from north of Bolton back to the SE early on a Sunday morning. Sent some stuff to Austria and Germany via Interparcel and they were great but max value was £1000 for the goods I was sending.
Old 7th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyspiller View Post
Gotta admit there's also a downside... I drove to manchester to pick up an f rev 1176 last sunday and got stuck in traffic for 5 hours!!! Painful

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search