The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone have a Mytek Stereo 192 DSD (Dac) on order? Dynamics Plugins
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut

Anyone have a Mytek Stereo 192 DSD (Dac) on order?

I've been looking at the new Stereo 192 Dac that has just started shipping. Just curious to know if anyone has one on order that can offer feedback when it arrives.

http://www.mytekdigital.com/usstore/...n0avua99bjjs04

TIA
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Nut

Nobody?
Old 8th September 2011
Here for the gear

Just around the corner

I have one on order. I just talked to Michal at Mytek and there is a small delay, the factory is behind with shipments by a few days so next week, (Sept 12 week) before the first shipments direct from the factory begin.
Michal said he'll send me the tracking number when my unit ships and apologized for this delay.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrady View Post
I have one on order. I just talked to Michal at Mytek and there is a small delay, the factory is behind with shipments by a few days so next week, (Sept 12 week) before the first shipments direct from the factory begin.
Michal said he'll send me the tracking number when my unit ships and apologized for this delay.
Please keep us posted once you get a listen!
Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

I have one on order too... Keep you posted.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict

Also have one on order.

I was told that the first batch is sold-out. The second batch will be shipping to stores sometime late September. I'm expecting mine in the first or second week of October if everything goes to plan.
Old 13th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
Also have one on order.

I was told that the first batch is sold-out.

We still have a couple of each type not spoken for (i.e. not preordered yet from customers) from the first batch. These include the free cable bundle (which was only included in the first batch of 100). Even though these are from the first 100, they are shipping around the 20th or so of this month.
Old 22nd September 2011
Gear Nut

any updates?
Old 30th September 2011
Gear Nut

guess not. :-(
Old 3rd October 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwrace View Post
guess not. :-(
Same here, i can't confirm for is it a scam.
Old 4th October 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslng View Post
What do you mean?
Old 4th October 2011
Lives for gear
The First DA192 are arriving here
Old 4th October 2011
The first round of DACs arrived today here in Florida, more on the way soon.
Old 5th October 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslng View Post
Uh?
Old 8th October 2011
Here for the gear

Yes! I got mine!
I'm still waiting for the cables...
I'll keep you posted but at first sight USB 1.1 and SPDIF inputs sound good... I'll let you know more in a few days!

B
Old 13th October 2011
Here for the gear

Sorry for late update, arrived, but still waiting for the packs of cables
Old 13th October 2011
Here for the gear

The firewire connexion (with a mac) sounds pretty natural, with great dynamics, and a huge tonal range. Still waiting for the pack of cables...

B
Old 20th October 2011
Here for the gear

My 192-DSD DAC arrived today

Finally... I like the sound of this unit. What I notice is the increase in ambience, the treble has increased clarity, not to mix up the word smooth which can be taken as less speed, no, smooth as in organic, as the kind of treble that comes with great analog.

This DAC has stepped up in many ways. I'm listening to 24/192 bit piano right now, the live sound of which I'm really familiar with as I recorded it. This is a great DAC!
Old 21st October 2011
Here for the gear

Yes...
Can I ask you what monitoring system you've been using it with?
Thanks

B
Old 21st October 2011
Here for the gear

Would love to know if anyone is successfully streaming DSD files from their computer to this converter....
Old 22nd October 2011
Here for the gear

What am I monitoring with?
- PBN amplification and Montana KAS speakers, (Audiophile equipment of high caliber)

DSD playback from computer?
- Not from my computer as yet. However I did play DSD 64fs from my Tascam DV-R1000HD using the SDIF, (Note: not SPDIF) connections, (need 3 coax, L R and wordclock). The result is stellar. I have a couple DSD files I've downloaded and have more than a few acoustic performances I've recorded using my Busman modified Korg MR1000.

In direct comparison against the mod'd Korg playing the same file it's the Mytek DSD playback that is clearly outpacing the Korg. This is no small feat as my mod'd Korg has been top dog in playback of anything digital in this house when the song originated as a DSD file. I have a stock XA-5400ES Sony CD/SACD player, it's never been able to keep up with this mod'd Korg so, yes, I'm really impressed with this new Mytek DAC.

Cheers
Old 22nd October 2011
Lives for gear

DSD Playback - Mac

The Mytek website should really include this link, since the 8x192 is listed on their compatible devices list, as I'm sure this unit will be: CHANNEL D - Pure Music
Old 23rd October 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks for that link, kooz. I didn't even know about that player, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Maybe someone with the new Mytek can try streaming native DSD with this player and let us know how it goes (the software has a free demo). On the PC side, I found this software Signalyst (for Vista and 7). It says streaming native DSD is currently in beta. Foobar2000 has a dsdiff add-on, but it is a PCM resampler. Any other software out there capable of doing this?

Like Ogrady, I have a Korg MR1000 (modified as well). I think it sounds pretty good, but I hate the 40GB hard drive and having to copy files to and from it all the time. The Mytek appeals to me in that I could just keep an ever-growing collection of DSD recordings on a computer and play them easily whenever I want.

Anyone compared SQ of this DAC to an 8x192 ADDA? For that matter, I'm wondering if the 8x192 would also work to do what I want…I see the USB 2.0 DIO card supports DSD, but do you need a special firmware? Guess I ought to contact Mytek directly with some of these questions.
Old 24th October 2011
Here for the gear

Hi Steve, decided to join this conversation. I have a Korg MS2000R to record and play my DSD files, though hate too being dependent of that internal HD...
A few days ago got the Mytek 192 DSD DAC. Sounds great with 24/192 and DSDs through USB2 using HQPlayer (for Vista and 7). Though when DSD plays the Mytek show "192" on the screen... with turned off all resampling and decoding to PCM.

Have you tried to upgrade the firmware? I couldn't make a firewire work.

Michal from Mytek told me that they will be posting new firmware and fireware driver upgrade by this Monday (today). Will see...

BTW what mods did you do to your Korg?
Cheers
Old 26th October 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewK View Post
Michal from Mytek told me that they will be posting new firmware and fireware driver upgrade by this Monday (today). Will see...
Andrew, the new firmware, v1.2.0bin has been up since late Sunday, I've installed it as well as the updated driver, (note: the file name, v3.5.6 hasn't changed so it looks like it's the same file).
I had zero issues installing this new driver and then updating the firmware using the FW driver.

Ogrady
Old 27th October 2011
Here for the gear

Orgady, the Mytek works well now. Hope soon they will be able to upgrate a firmware to play native 128xDSD.
Cheers, Andrew
Old 27th October 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewK View Post
A few days ago got the Mytek 192 DSD DAC. Sounds great with 24/192 and DSDs through USB2 using HQPlayer (for Vista and 7). Though when DSD plays the Mytek show "192" on the screen... with turned off all resampling and decoding to PCM.

BTW what mods did you do to your Korg?
Cheers
I just discovered this this morning. If the DAC says '192' it's not DSD. When the DAC is playing DSD it'll say, 'dSd'.

Both Michal of Mytek and Jussi of HQPlayer got back to me this morning within hours with specific instructions of what works as drivers stand right now. These are the specifics to play back 64fs DSD.

1) HQPlayer needed is the WASAPI version, NOT the ASIO one.
2) Use the Mytek Firewire driver, not the USB one.
3) Set sample rate to 176.4 in 'settings' in HQPlayer
4) In HQPlayer 'DSDIFF/DSF Settings' select '0xAA marker'
5) Your playlist can only contain DSD tracks.

Voila!
And I need to add one more thing. You are in for SUCH A TREAT!!

My MR1000 Korg has all the Busman offered mod's, input / output, plus the input level sensitivity has been decreased. I heartily recommend you get all the mod's Busman offers. This steps up the Korg.

Here is Jussi's reply which contains a lot more behind the scenes info.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The HQPlayer ASIO backend currently supports only ASIO native DSD
playback. Not "PCM-packed-DSD" modes. On the other hand, Firewire ASIO
driver for Mytek doesn't currently support the native ASIO DSD mode (as
far as I know). As a result, only PCM playback works with
HQPlayer+ASIO+Mytek(Firewire) at the moment.

Due to this particular situation, I may add support for "PCM-packed-DSD"
to the ASIO backend as well in future versions.

In theory native DSD with HQPlayer+ASIO+Mytek(USB) should work, but so
far I've only seen one failure report for this. So I suspect some issue
in the Mytek USB ASIO driver, since some other ASIO DSD devices work. I
don't have a Mytek DAC myself yet, so I cannot debug this particular
case in detail.

Here's a short instruction on how it should work:
1) Connect Mytek DAC using Firewire
2) Start HQPlayer in WASAPI mode
3) Open "File" .. "DSDIFF/DSF Settings" and select "0xAA marker" from
"Direct playback type" list

Now native DSD playback should work as long as playlist consists of only
DSD tracks(1). In WASAPI mode you'll lose drag-and-drop support due to
limitations of Windows and how certain parts of HQPlayer are implemented.

I'll add this instruction for the Mytek DAC to the quick start guide.

Success/failure reports and any feedback is certainly welcome!

Best regards,

- Jussi Laako, Signalyst

--------------------------------

Cheers!
Ogrady
Old 28th October 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrady View Post
I just discovered this this morning. If the DAC says '192' it's not DSD. When the DAC is playing DSD it'll say, 'dSd'.

Both Michal of Mytek and Jussi of HQPlayer got back to me this morning within hours with specific instructions of what works as drivers stand right now. These are the specifics to play back 64fs DSD.

1) HQPlayer needed is the WASAPI version, NOT the ASIO one.
2) Use the Mytek Firewire driver, not the USB one.
3) Set sample rate to 176.4 in 'settings' in HQPlayer
4) In HQPlayer 'DSDIFF/DSF Settings' select '0xAA marker'
5) Your playlist can only contain DSD tracks.

Voila!
And I need to add one more thing. You are in for SUCH A TREAT!!

[/QUOTE]

These are correct instructions. Although our ASIO driver does support DSD, it seems that some tuning has to be done with application and the driver for whole thing to work smoothly. We are working on this. For the time being the "DSD over PCM pipeline" method described above is equally good and bit accurate and it's the only method for DSD for Mac available. Within next month or so we hope to have 128x implemented in the DAC firmware and in some software players. DSD is converted in this DAC natively to analog i.e. there is no no conversion to PCM and I hope its DSD sound quality reflects that.

Let me add a comment I posted elsewhere couple of days ago:

Mytek Stereo 192 | Computer Audiophile

Submitted by mytek on Mon, 10/24/2011 - 18:46. Joined: 07/20/2011 .:. Online .:. Comments: 26
Firmware 1.2 and FW
Few hrs ago we have uploaded 1.2 firmware and new FW drivers which fix a name conflict in windows (only) that sometimes created an issue in Win 7 when both USB2.0 and FW were installed (some registries were named the same "mytek" and one drvr was overriding another one support files). This was never an issue on Mac, just windows. The new driver also has the name tags organized to represent connected Mytek device properly (both drivers support not only stereo192-DSD-DAC but also other Mytek unit the 8X192 ADDA). I can confirm that both FW and USB drivers on both platforms (OSX10.6-10.7 and Win 7) work fine and allow for automatic switching of sample rates alright. We tested this with number of software packages, (such as Pure Music, Audirvana for Mac, Foobar, HQ Signalyst, JRMusic for Win) and they do work just fine play PCM and switch FS on the fly and at least 2 of them play DSD using dCS method. When playlist switches to DSD file you will see the dac display switch from for example "176.4" to "dSd". 64xDSD works, 128xDSD is not yet implemented, we are working with playback software developers on making this available asap. Signalyst for win7 plays with dsd out of the box (you may want to try it on 64bit win7- it seems more solid this way) while Mac users should contact ChannlD.com support to get a copy of Pure Music which includes Mytek in the list of approved devices (V1.83beta). Next public release of PM download will include Mytek. We will be also talking to other software developers who we know do work on this (such as JR) to include Mytek asap.

Thanks for comments on sound quality. This is consistent with our aim- transparency. Mytek has 20 years experience in designing accurate and transparent converters for mastering applications (where the entire AD>DA chain is compared to straight wire). This is not euphonic converter- good recordings will shine, while bad might have their faults exposed.

We are back at our offices after very dynamic and successful RMAF Show last week and another - the AES Show in NY that ended yesterday. I hope to monitor this list and be more responsive, so pls post you QQ and I'll try to address them

Best Regards, Michal, Mytek New York
Old 28th October 2011
Lives for gear
i would appreciate it if anyone could give some further information with the dsd side of things.

what type of dsd recorder/player does the unit work with,
is there any external/onboard storage
how many channels work simultaneously in dsd either in and or out

cheers.
Old 28th October 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouge View Post
i would appreciate it if anyone could give some further information with the dsd side of things.

what type of dsd recorder/player does the unit work with,
is there any external/onboard storage
how many channels work simultaneously in dsd either in and or out

cheers.
Gouge, this DAC is intended to be used with your computer. This is where the storage is. The computer as a music server with online hi-res music is taking off now and I expect a lot more companies looking for a 'new' frontier to sell their wares will gather steam in this area soon.

If I read your query correctly, this new Mytek DAC is not a recording device, it's a 2 channel player so it does function really well, (I've done so already), as an outboard DSD 2.8Mhz DAC for the Tascam DV-RA1000HD. The Tascam does have it's own DSD internal DAC, this Mytek unit is well beyond it sound wise, thus the reason to use it over the internal DAC.

Cheers!
Ogrady

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search