The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone have a Mytek Stereo 192 DSD (Dac) on order? Dynamics Plugins
Old 28th October 2011
Gear Head

Hey guys, I just want to comment on the DSD playback a little bit...
The dCS method of the 0xAA marker should work fine for USB2 or Firewire. For USB2 to reliably decode it properly under windows using HQPlayer you need to set the sample rate to 176.4 in the USBPAL control panel and also the buffer size to Small or Large before opening HQPlayer (non-ASIO client.) Set the DSD option to 0xAA and now when you play DSD files the Mytek should show dSd on the front.

And also about the input/output capabilities: the unit is capable of 2in/2out with future drivers/firmware. You can record any digital input, including SDIF. You won't be able to record the analog input on the Pre versions since there is no AD inside.
Old 29th October 2011
Gear Addict

How to setup Mytek stereo192-DSD-DAC to play DSD file on Win7 using HQ Player

How to setup Mytek Stereo192-DSD-DAC to play DSD file on Win7 using Signalyst.com HQ Player

In Win7 (both 32 and 64) dCs "DSD over USB PCM pipeline" method works with bothUSB2 and Firewire.

To play 64xDSD (128xDSD does not work yet as of today) with Signalyst HQ Player pls follow these steps:

a) With USB2.0:

1) Install "wasapi" (not ASIO) HQ Player version
2) set the sample rate to 176.4 in the Mytek USBPAL driver control panel. Also set the buffer size to Small or Large before opening HQPlayer.
3) in HQ Player set the DSD option to 0xAA
4)Play DSD files, the Mytek DAC (with USB2.0 in selected) should show "dSd" its display and you should hear native DSD

b) With FW:

1) Install "wasapi" (not ASIO) HQ Player version
2) set the sample rate to 176.4 in the Mytek DICE FW driver control panel.
3) in HQ Player set the DSD option to 0xAA
4)Play DSD files, the Mytek DAC (with USB2.0 in selected) should show "dSd" its display and you should hear native DSD

Hope this helps. Regards Michal, Mytek new York
Old 29th October 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrady View Post
Gouge, this DAC is intended to be used with your computer. This is where the storage is. The computer as a music server with online hi-res music is taking off now and I expect a lot more companies looking for a 'new' frontier to sell their wares will gather steam in this area soon.

If I read your query correctly, this new Mytek DAC is not a recording device, it's a 2 channel player so it does function really well, (I've done so already), as an outboard DSD 2.8Mhz DAC for the Tascam DV-RA1000HD. The Tascam does have it's own DSD internal DAC, this Mytek unit is well beyond it sound wise, thus the reason to use it over the internal DAC.

Cheers!
Ogrady
thanks ogrady,

currenty i mix down to dsd with a mr1000.

i'd love to at some point switch to a dsd daw setup without paying the huge cost and thought/hoped this might be the first step.
Old 7th November 2011
Here for the gear

[QUOTE=Ogrady;7153404]What am I monitoring with?
- PBN amplification and Montana KAS speakers, (Audiophile equipment of high caliber)

Hi Ogrady,
how do you like the level control in the DAC?
Do you use it or do you prefer using a preamp or an external level controller?
Thanks

B
Old 8th November 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby View Post

Hi Ogrady,
how do you like the level control in the DAC?
Do you use it or do you prefer using a preamp or an external level controller?
Thanks

B
I'm using a pre though I'm also sending the signal from the DAC thru the level control on the DAC as well. In bypass mode I discovered, when using balanced connectors that I was overdriving the pre.

I quickly tried the DAC directly connected to the power amp when I first got the DAC and also gave a quick listen comparing the DAC level controller in bypass and analog and found the analog smoother, (which makes sense as I was to discover with the overdriven signal when in bypass).

I like using the pre I have as it seems to interface equipment so well. Many times the sound steps up, (subtle) by putting the pre between the source and the power amp

I haven't moved connections around at all since, I'm too busy rediscovering my music!

I'll give the DAC directly connected to the amp another go sometime when there's more hours on the DAC.
Old 8th November 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks.
I'm still hesitating on buying a good line preamp or putting the DAC directly on the power amps.
I also tend to think nice class A preamps or tube ones could do a great job on such a clear source ; but the direct way seems theorically preferable.
Another option may be a class A double mono level controller, like the Kush Audio Main Gain, or a passive like the Goldpoint.
What kind of preamp do you use?

Regards

B
Old 9th November 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Thanks.
I'm still hesitating on buying a good line preamp or putting the DAC directly on the power amps.
I also tend to think nice class A preamps or tube ones could do a great job on such a clear source ; but the direct way seems theorically preferable.
Another option may be a class A double mono level controller, like the Kush Audio Main Gain, or a passive like the Goldpoint.
What kind of preamp do you use?

Regards

B
I have a pro-modified Coda 5R pre. I spent a little time last night and listened to 2.8mhz DSD with the Mytek DAC connected directly to the power amp using the analogue adjustable output on the Mytek... AND... I liked the sound better with the pre in the loop. Go figure.

This is subtle, I don't think you'd even notice on most sources. What I could hear I'd describe as a treble 'air' around solo or small group sopranos and it's not there with the pre out of the loop. The Mytek is not the first piece of gear reacting this way either, I kind of expect this outcome now with any piece that has variable output that can drive my power amp directly that I'll like the sound better with the pre in the loop.

Adding 1 more level of amplification you'd figure would be going backwards, though pre's are now called 'buffers' and their interface ability is I think allowing my set up to shine with the pre in the loop.

Cheers!
Old 9th November 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks Ogrady
I think I'm gonna try a few preamps, maybe the Sugden LA4 (class A solid state, I liked it on the Sugden amps, hope it will work with the Questeds and the Mytek), and the Kush Audio volume control, which seems to be as good as an audiophile preamp, but I've never tested it. Any experiences or other ideas are welcome...

Cheers

B
Old 10th November 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Thanks Ogrady
I think I'm gonna try a few preamps, maybe the Sugden LA4 (class A solid state, I liked it on the Sugden amps, hope it will work with the Questeds and the Mytek), and the Kush Audio volume control, which seems to be as good as an audiophile preamp, but I've never tested it. Any experiences or other ideas are welcome...

Cheers

B
Excellent idea to try several pre's, with your gear of course. There's always some interplay between equipment.
Cheers,
Old 10th November 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrady View Post
I have a pro-modified Coda 5R pre. I spent a little time last night and listened to 2.8mhz DSD with the Mytek DAC connected directly to the power amp using the analogue adjustable output on the Mytek... AND... I liked the sound better with the pre in the loop. Go figure.

This is subtle, I don't think you'd even notice on most sources. What I could hear I'd describe as a treble 'air' around solo or small group sopranos and it's not there with the pre out of the loop. The Mytek is not the first piece of gear reacting this way either, I kind of expect this outcome now with any piece that has variable output that can drive my power amp directly that I'll like the sound better with the pre in the loop.

Adding 1 more level of amplification you'd figure would be going backwards, though pre's are now called 'buffers' and their interface ability is I think allowing my set up to shine with the pre in the loop.

Cheers!
HOLD IT!... I just finished running the Mytek through 20 some hours of Iso-Tek accelerated break-in and the Mytek has stepped up very nicely!

The image is more forward now direct connected to my power amp than with the pre in the loop AND I'd say it's resolution has advanced past the Coda as well.

Will continue to electronically exercise this GREAT DAC and see if there's more advancement to be had.
Old 10th November 2011
Here for the gear

Good news!
Another issue will be the power cord : some units seem to be more sensible than others to quality power cords... Some are not affected at all.
Have you tried some on the Mytek?

B
Old 12th November 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Good news!
Another issue will be the power cord : some units seem to be more sensible than others to quality power cords... Some are not affected at all.
Have you tried some on the Mytek?

B
Haven't tried other power cords though I do have a 'Power Plant Premier' that powers everything but the power amp and THAT made a nice difference with other equipment. I automatically plugged the Mytek DAC into the PPP when I first got it, I'll have to try it plugged directly into the wall and see if I can hear a difference.

Last edited by Ogrady; 12th November 2011 at 11:34 PM.. Reason: My first reply was ambiguious

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search