The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tannoy Ellipse 8's a bit dark or just flat? Monitor Controllers
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Tannoy Ellipse 8's a bit dark or just flat?

Hey guys

I bought a brand new pair of powered Tannoy Ellipse 8's (non IDP) about 2-3 years ago. I've been using them as the primary mixing/mastering set along with a pair of Adventone Mix Cubes as secondary reference. So I've had a chance to try out a tertiary set of speakers of various types. Every other speaker I test against the Ellipse's are at least twice as bright. From cheap ones to speakers costing 4k each, all much brighter. I've adjusted the brightness on the back of the Ellipse's to full and it barely seems to do much. These supertweeters boast 50khz, would be nice if I could hear em! lol. Unfortunately, I had no reference of brightness through the Mixcubes having only one midrange driver.

So basically are they naturally dark, midrangey or are they just flat?
I know there are 3 amps inside, is there a way to get in there and either cut the mid amp's volume or make the supertweeters amp louder?
Other then the lack of brightness, I love the way they sound, I'm just concerned about it now that I've heard other speakers side by side.
I guess it could be because they are crossed at 15k :/
Thanks in advance!
Rob
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

Hmm....that's a bit odd.
I have a pair of those and if anything I'd say they were overly bright! When I first got them I found they tended towards harshness but over time I got used to this and realised that they were just reproducing everything all the way up to the limit of my hearing.

Recently I checked out some comparable Adams and found the top end to be much sweeter and smoother than the Ellipse's. Whether I'd be better of with the 'nicer' sounding Adams or the possibly more 'honest' Ellipse's is hard to tell. I know as it is I work hard to get a smooth top end without harshness so....?

From memory the only adjustments I make to them is rolling of the bass a tiny bit. The one thing I think they excell in is reproducing the mid range with great clarity and detail.

I'd be very interesting to hear other peoples' experiences of these.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Young View Post
Hmm....that's a bit odd.
I have a pair of those and if anything I'd say they were overly bright! When I first got them I found they tended towards harshness but over time I got used to this and realised that they were just reproducing everything all the way up to the limit of my hearing.

Recently I checked out some comparable Adams and found the top end to be much sweeter and smoother than the Ellipse's. Whether I'd be better of with the 'nicer' sounding Adams or the possibly more 'honest' Ellipse's is hard to tell. I know as it is I work hard to get a smooth top end without harshness so....?

From memory the only adjustments I make to them is rolling of the bass a tiny bit. The one thing I think they excell in is reproducing the mid range with great clarity and detail.

I'd be very interesting to hear other peoples' experiences of these.

Not my pair.... it seems like they forgot to turn the tweeter amp up to the correct volume but then how could it have effected both of em. Also I don't mix or even listen to music a high volumes so I know I couldn't have blown them :/
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

What are they connected to? Assuming you're running normal XLR cables, have you tried AES/EBU cables instead? Not that it should ever make a night/day difference...
Old 5th September 2011
strange...

Have you used a testtone sweep on them? That could clear up if they do work properly.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
What are they connected to? Assuming you're running normal XLR cables, have you tried AES/EBU cables instead? Not that it should ever make a night/day difference...
Yes, XLR... the only available input on these. No i haven't tried "specific" AES/EBU cables. I can, see if it helps. Thanks!
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziekschuur View Post
strange...

Have you used a testtone sweep on them? That could clear up if they do work properly.
Yes, they output... I think, lol. Using Wavelab and TruRTA to do the sweeps. Just seem next to other speakers they are very midrangy.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsuchpro View Post
Yes, XLR... the only available input on these. No i haven't tried "specific" AES/EBU cables. I can, see if it helps. Thanks!
It might be worth it. If the inputs on the Tannoys are presenting a higher impedance than the output of your desk/DAC/monitor controller is designed to handle, then you can start to get surprisingly significant amounts of HF rolloff...
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
It might be worth it. If the inputs on the Tannoys are presenting a higher impedance than the output of your desk/DAC/monitor controller is designed to handle, then you can start to get surprisingly significant amounts of HF rolloff...
Hmmm I wonder if that's fixable. I'm coming out of a Lynx Aurora 16 into an Audient Centro to the Tannoys. What I'm shocked about is that my mixes aren't overly bright .
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search