The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL 4000 G Series Automation Error Message Studio Monitors
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

SSL 4000 G Series Automation Error Message

During final stage of computer bootup, I receive a message that reads: "Z8 for Synchroniser not working. Interface no. 2."

When I enter "Setup Mix Execute", the "Mix Enabled" indicator comes on. I send SMPTE, computer reads the SMPTE fine, but never enters "Mix Running" mode.

In addition, if I allow the mix to run, then "End" mix, the computer tells me "I don't understand, NA", when I enter "Y" after, "Really end" question.

Has anyone here experienced this?

Any solutions you suggest?

I've tried different sync options on SSL computer, and even removed/reseated SSL computer cards in case it was a hardware glitch, but no luck! My console has the Desk Doctor ZX card. I've tried with and without the card installed, and I receive the same message at bootup.

Thanks in advance for any advice you offer.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Addict

hi,

i have my G computer manual, ran through it, no mention of error messages. i hope it's not just a shortform manual i've got... but neither it nor my full G series console manual have any list of error messages [i must not have the full library of manuals, darn], and perhaps the best advice is to save your work, double check everything, turn off everything for the night, and turn it back on in the morning. --and do it again, if you've already tried.

i wonder if it's the memory itself -- 25 years old.

you're using the 8" floppy disks? or however large they are? -- they aren't like 20 year old disks, are they?

or the bernoulli drive thing? or...

the worse possibility is that there's some degradation on like the internal memory storage in the computer, i guess in current technology i'd call it the firmware chip but who knows how it was done in 1986...
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks for the reply!

After a straight 14 hour troubleshooting session, I got the automation running WO ZX card. The automation is slaved to Sonar (or any other DAW) via SMPTE timecode (using Cl-Audio's instructions on "Detailed journal of my SSL 6048 E|G+ instal. " post)!

Claudio connected with me via phone, and minutes after our conversation, I thought about disabling "Synchroniser Control" on the SSL computer and sha'bang, I got it rolling!

So yes, the SSL G series automation, can follow a SMPTE timecode with no other mods or sync boxes!

Alright, time to get back to the family and enjoy what's left of the three day weekend!

Check you later slutz!
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

oh so the SSL computer was set as master not slave so you had to put it in slave?

sorry if i completely misread that, i may have interpreted that wrong?
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Got my SSL 4000 synced with smpte via a VST smpte generator plugin, works perfect (Im loosing 1 output channel though) ...so SSL is chasing DAW
Old 13th September 2011

ppldub,

Have you called Bruce? That's probably your best bet man, Bruce is a wiz and a really nice guy. We switched our console to chase protools and we not only had to disconnect the zx card but Bruce had to take the zx card out of the machine menu. The ssl computer kept looking for it and defaulting to it and wanted pt to chase the ssl. Once Bruce removed it from the program disk setup everything ran smooth. If you need a hand call me.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search