The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lavry AD10 Into Multiface -- really that good? Digital Converters
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut

Lavry AD10 Into Multiface -- really that good?

I've been pouring over the threads about front-ending with a high-end AD convertor into boxes like a Multiface....Looks like a no-brainer, but is it reeeeally gonna make my ears go "whoa"??
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

A mic will make a bigger difference. Moving a mic an inch will make a bigger difference. A pre will make a bigger difference. Having said that, I used to own an AD10 and I always chose it over my Apogee converters. It sounded clearer and more defined on every source. Without good monitors, DA, and room, you probably wouldn't hear the difference though. It's subtle.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut

...that's kinda where I am going with this...I treated my room and now it's a whole new ball game...BM5A's and tracking through API pre and eq's...My source's are top notch...Thinking I've taken it this far, maybe two channels of better AD would be another game changer...I am thinking maybe not so much...
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

I have been using a Lavry Blue with a Multiface for a long time. The Lavry has replaced the Apogee PSX-100 I was using before. It was a fairly huge improvement over both the RME and the Apogee. I would always take this step again.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Comparing to multiface? I think it is worth the money. You get less flat sounding tracks with better detail. Don't see the point in percentages, to some it is huge difference, to some it's nuance. It is not apogee rosetta vs lavry, where I'd say "meh... forget about it", rme multiface is really just a good lowend. If you like nice sound, you'll appretiate the change.

If you track more than stereo, you can pick 2nd hand Lucid 88192 for ~ the same amount and have 8ch in out of roughly the same quality. Quite a value.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Miller View Post
A mic will make a bigger difference. Moving a mic an inch will make a bigger difference. A pre will make a bigger difference. Having said that, I used to own an AD10 and I always chose it over my Apogee converters. It sounded clearer and more defined on every source. Without good monitors, DA, and room, you probably wouldn't hear the difference though. It's subtle.
I second that 100%. Using a Lavry AD-10 into a RME Fireface here. The RME converters are the most underrated converters of all time in my opinion, they are really good. Anyways, in a nutshell, the Lavry is better. But the difference is subtle like Aaron said. Real subtle.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuberizer View Post
The RME converters are the most underrated converters of all time in my opinion, they are really good.
Absolutely!
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuberizer View Post
I second that 100%. Using a Lavry AD-10 into a RME Fireface here. The RME converters are the most underrated converters of all time in my opinion, they are really good. Anyways, in a nutshell, the Lavry is better. But the difference is subtle like Aaron said. Real subtle.
Same set-up here and the same upgrade. I found the difference anything but subtle. A worthwhile upgrade.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayo View Post
I found the difference anything but subtle. A worthwhile upgrade.
You have magic ears or a really bad RME Interface then
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut

thanx for the replies everyone! Very interesting...I need one more eq and one more good compressor -- thinking PBC-6A...after that, if a good deal comes up for a Lavry AD10, I'll probably go for it...

..one thing fore sure, with the new room treatment, a fog has been lifted...2 channels would be just fine for me...

Old 5th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky4444 View Post
thanx for the replies everyone! Very interesting...I need one more eq and one more good compressor -- thinking PBC-6A...after that, if a good deal comes up for a Lavry AD10, I'll probably go for it...

..one thing fore sure, with the new room treatment, a fog has been lifted...2 channels would be just fine for me...

You've done things the right way round. In your setup, you'd probably hear the difference, and the extra 2-3% the Lavry gets you might be worth it. It is subject to the laws of diminishing returns though - a lot more cash gets you something a bit better.

In an untreated room, you're much less likely to hear the benefit..hence the reason of lots of disparaging remarks on those "I'm in an untreated bedroom, wanna upgrade my conversion" type threads...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search