The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Like the Great River pre but my world changed when I went to a.... Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 10th April 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by roystone View Post
I've just found this thread cause I feel a bit like the op.
Still disapointed that the great river looses systematicly every shootout I do.
Yesterday it was with a brauner AE on a female vocal against the console amek mozart... The GR was so dry and sterile.

I ve bought recently buzz elixir's, bae 312's , daking mic pre one , a chandler germanium and the great river mp-500, and I must admit the GR is the only one that doesn't excite me that much.
I had instant love for the other ones.
Thanks roystone, glad you commented b/c I've had my eye on the chandler germanium but haven't checked it out personally. The bae 312, daking one and 737 are ones I haven't tried but should audition as well. The GR is definitely a hi-quality pre, but like you and some others have said, it just doesn't excite me much on vocals. Didn't think I couldn't be the only one.

Been tied up for a while so I haven't found a new pre yet, but have listened to a lot of clips, w/ and w/o GR pres. Recognize some dryness (to my ears) in the GR every time no matter what mic is used. C'est la vie..
Old 10th April 2012
Gear Maniac

Have two, can't see a situation where I would part with them. The only application where I would say they are not a very good choice is classical due to noise floor.

To me the mic choice or moving the mic a half inch would make way more of a difference than pre choice once you are at this level of pre.
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

Well for what it's worth I have a GR and a BAE 1073 mP (bootsy mod DI) and while I like the GR and think Dan is tops, I am loving the BAE ; it seems to make things work better in the digital world - an analoguish warmth. The GR DI gets good raps but the bootsy mod BAE sounds very finished with a P bass.
Construction on both is excellent but the GR is consigned to being eye candy in the rack at the moment.
Cheers, Ross
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

One must go audio-gay or something to leave a Great river pre for some pre else.

The best orgasmic audio recording experience ever.

It was not named em-pee-to-envy for nothing.

B.
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

Art Tube MP
Old 11th April 2012
Gear Addict

AML 1073-500
...my world has changed. Sold my GR to fund the purchase. Haven't looked back since
Old 2nd May 2013
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoZo View Post

Looks darn sweet to me!
And heres more sexy gear!
Attached Thumbnails
Like the Great River pre but my world changed when I went to a....-designs-rack.jpg  
Old 3rd May 2013
Lives for gear

Nice rack!, Black is beautiful hehe...

here is my other rack, ive added Focal solo 6be's, another 16x (D/A) , 2 TT patchbays and a RN5043 since this pic...

I'm looking for a few more preamps, probably vp28's and more outboard comps for tracking vox and some more channels of eq (probably GR) on drums etc... on the way in... Mixing Ill stay in the box.

Old 3rd May 2013
Village Idiot

Its a great great river pre!

Gustav
Old 3rd May 2013
Lives for gear

Great River here. Had it for six years. Not going anywhere. Every aspect of this piece of gear oozes pro. Sound is top shelf.

Cdlt

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search