The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Like the Great River pre but my world changed when I went to a.... Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Electrodyne pres are another fine sounding pre!!

I have some old electrodyne pre/eq modules that I'll be racking and selling soon.

I used vintage api 312 pres for years and just love the electrodyne sound and the eq's are sooooooooo sweet !!! mmmmm
Old 7th September 2011
Harmless Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoZo View Post

Dirty rotten bastage.

Killzya.

Ya still gotta get at least 3 more of the EQ thingies.

Love those f*cking things as well.

A little time to get used to how they work, but when ya DO...

Crash.

XOXO

Slippy
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

R&B and Rap vocals

Although very microphone dependent, instead of the GR our "go to"s are:

Female vocals: LaChapell 992EG, extremely nice when paired with a Neve 33609. Our favorite combo is a Lawson 251 (with bass boost on) paired with these two. Very rich, just a hint of vintage vibe with a smooth top end.

Male vocals/raps: Neve 1081, paired with a LA2A reissue, or with the 33609 if a little darker tone is required. Thick with a serious attitude. Depending on the character of the voice, the LaChapell/33609 combo may work better.

The GR is a great all rounder, but the other two preamps have a certain personality that really works on R&B. As always, YMMV...

Dave/Suspect Studios

www.suspectstudios.com
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Ooops

My bad, that would be a 1084, not a 1081 on the male side...
As you can see, got 1081's on the brain, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Dave/Suspect Studios

www.suspectstudios.com
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac
I am also a ME1NV owner and have really enjoyed it. Although its the first and only higher end pre I have owned. Running it through a Rosetta 800. I am glad this thread is here cause i am curious too about something that can expand on what the GR does.

Particularly, I am on a limited budget (hobby studio) and wondering about replacing the GR with a BAE 1073MP? Anyone have experience between the two? I'm wondering if I would miss the GR in making this switch, and I dont exactly have the funds to own both at the same time?
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeuce View Post
Do you have any experience with the Aurora GTQ series vs. API vp26?
Almost. I have a GTQC, a 3124 and a 312a. I love the GTQC on virtually everything. Huge, round, finished sound, great for anything that just needs to be big. As a channel strip, it's an excellent one-stop solution, though I frequently use just the pre with other outboard compression and/or EQ. Sure wish I had two, though. I love the API & BAE on drums, percussion, rock acoustic guitar, piano, guitar amps and background vocals, but I never have warmed to the API sound for lead vocals when compared to the Aurora (or even my Pacifica). Both the Aurora and API's put a wonderful shimmery lining around things, but I think the Aurora produces a broader frequency spectrum. I've never used a GR, so I can't make a comparison there.
Old 7th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorock View Post
I am also a ME1NV owner and have really enjoyed it. Although its the first and only higher end pre I have owned. Running it through a Rosetta 800. I am glad this thread is here cause i am curious too about something that can expand on what the GR does.

Particularly, I am on a limited budget (hobby studio) and wondering about replacing the GR with a BAE 1073MP? Anyone have experience between the two? I'm wondering if I would miss the GR in making this switch, and I dont exactly have the funds to own both at the same time?
Yes, I have used both, [both are outstanding, and while both are capable of great results, they are different enough to follow different end users around for different reasons]. I think you might hear the BAE has a thicker denseness and chocolate ice cream scoop at the top, with mid range and bottom that grows a beard on you. To me, the Great River is clearer sounding than vintage neve modules, or neve clones, as it has a fast acting transient response, neutral frequency response / very even tone throughout the mid range. I would consider it to have a pleasing weight/"iron" like tone, still but the sound is, to my ear, very open and natural, without an abundance of thickening even order harmonic qualities. This allows the hardware to work well across a wide variety of applications.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy View Post
Almost. I have a GTQC, a 3124 and a 312a. I love the GTQC on virtually everything. Huge, round, finished sound, great for anything that just needs to be big. As a channel strip, it's an excellent one-stop solution, though I frequently use just the pre with other outboard compression and/or EQ. Sure wish I had two, though. I love the API & BAE on drums, percussion, rock acoustic guitar, piano, guitar amps and background vocals, but I never have warmed to the API sound for lead vocals when compared to the Aurora (or even my Pacifica). Both the Aurora and API's put a wonderful shimmery lining around things, but I think the Aurora produces a broader frequency spectrum. I've never used a GR, so I can't make a comparison there.
Hey thanks Sean--you said the GTCQ is great for anything that needs to be "big." Maybe a odd question, but does the GTQC's bigness on vox sit well in a track? For example, when I listen to vocals with different mic pres, I hear a circular footprint or circumference in the sound. I feel that if that vocal "circle" or circumference is too big (rare, but happens), it overpowers all the other instruments and the issue may not be fixed by turning the vocal down.

I hope that doesn't sound nuts, but is the GTQC's "circle" a good fit in the the tracks you've used it on; in other words, is the footprint ever too big?
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey thanks Sean--you said the GTCQ is great for anything that needs to be "big." Maybe a odd question, but does the GTQC's bigness on vox sit well in a track? For example, when I listen to vocals with different mic pres, I hear a circular footprint or circumference in the sound. I feel that if that vocal "circle" or circumference is too big (rare, but happens), it overpowers all the other instruments and the issue may not be fixed by turning the vocal down.

I hope that doesn't sound nuts, but is the GTQC's "circle" a good fit in the the tracks you've used it on; in other words, is the footprint not too big?
Not nuts, I know what you mean. The first thing I noticed after I got the Aurora was that vocals simply sat in the mixes better, requiring much less effort on my part. I actually have opted against the GTQ on a couple of occasions where I had a particularly good voice/mic pairing and needed a really "pure" sound for a more exposed and sparse production. If I want the singer to sound like he/she is standing in the room with me, the big signature of the Aurora can be a bit much. Just yesterday I was doing mic/pre tests with a folksy/new-agey female singer, and after a number of trials we ended up with an AT4033 through a Buzz MA-2.2 for a pretty amazing transparency (I actually preferred both the Gefell UMT70s and my Joly MJE-K47 to the AT, but it's her album!). Overall, though, the GTQC is my go-to vocal front end at least 80% of the time.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Dan Kennedy is a fine gentleman as well..........
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorock View Post

I have done this and do not(yet) miss the GR. I LOVE the GR, but craved a little more color and saturation. The BAE gave me exactly that. And I could only afford to have one at the moment. They are both equally great tools, and to me the BAE has a little more mojo goin on, as one would expect.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

I miss my GR dearly, but next time around I'm buying the two-banger. I can't wait to get one of those.

One thing I would say to the OP...having an API or two around along with a GR is a beautiful thing. Whatever the GR doesn't do, the API will, and vice versa. I think they're a wonderful set of tools in any studio.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrygian View Post
One thing I would say to the OP...having an API or two around along with a GR is a beautiful thing. Whatever the GR doesn't do, the API will, and vice versa. I think they're a wonderful set of tools in any studio.
Yea, I don't doubt that for a minute. I just had trouble with the API's fast treatment of plosives and esses; loved the sound otherwise.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Long time lurker, first time poster. This was a good time to get in on it, just went through this earlier this year -

I had been using the two channel GR - mostly for layered acoustic music. It was great and definitely added that "mojo", but even at clearer settings was a little much.

Replaced it with a two channel John Hardy M-1, haven't looked back since. The Hardy is cleaner without being "sterile" - big, unbelievably detailed, balanced, and a lot more three dimensional in my opinion.

Even on solo acoustic stuff where I'd usually like a bit more color to thicken things up a bit, I much prefer the Hardy...stereo mic with either mc930's or Josephson c42's and it's been the best I've owned for what I do (including Millenia, api 512c's, Shadow Hills, and the GR)...

my 2 cents!
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogjeff View Post
i thought the great river sounded compressed and sort of modern, so it didn't ring my bell and i sent it back... we use chandler tg2, aml 5003d, and avedis ma5 here instead... ymmv...
That's what I have been tryin' to explain for years. It just sounds so "squeezed" and muffled to me. It seems to compress but the compression on it doesn't glue anything into the mix, if you get what I'm saying. Also, it doesn't have a "record" quality tone to it either. I can't seem to follow the hype with the Great River. People must buy them because they're like the "u87" of preamps. Not the best but will always work. My motto is no tone, no bone.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yerba View Post
Long time lurker, first time poster. This was a good time to get in on it, just went through this earlier this year -

I had been using the two channel GR - mostly for layered acoustic music. It was great and definitely added that "mojo", but even at clearer settings was a little much.

Replaced it with a two channel John Hardy M-1, haven't looked back since. The Hardy is cleaner without being "sterile" - big, unbelievably detailed, balanced, and a lot more three dimensional in my opinion.

Even on solo acoustic stuff where I'd usually like a bit more color to thicken things up a bit, I much prefer the Hardy...stereo mic with either mc930's or Josephson c42's and it's been the best I've owned for what I do (including Millenia, api 512c's, Shadow Hills, and the GR)...

my 2 cents!
Congrats on breaking the gearslutz seal! I've of course heard of the John Hardy M-1 but was never too interested because of the "clean" moniker attached to it. Glad u mentioned 3D, big and detailed--makes me want to hear it. Do u use it for male vox at all? If so, is it your goto for the same? Thanks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael T View Post
That's what I have been tryin' to explain for years. It just sounds so "squeezed" and muffled to me. It seems to compress but the compression on it doesn't glue anything into the mix, if you get what I'm saying. Also, it doesn't have a "record" quality tone to it either. I can't seem to follow the hype with the Great River. People must buy them because they're like the "u87" of preamps. Not the best but will always work. My motto is no tone, no bone.
Yes, compressed is another word I would use. I think has a good, solid "holding the line" type of tone, but it stays within that same lane and doesn't move out of those boundaries too much. I think that's why a lot of people love it for bass. I think it can be great for some vocals, but I just hear more open, detailed vocal deliveries in some of my favorite mixes (I'm sure mic/compression has more to do with this but I'm just sayin..)
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

The Great River is the last piece of gear ever to leave my studio. I've had it for many years, it just works on everything.

Stein Tore
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Congrats on breaking the gearslutz seal! I've of course heard of the John Hardy M-1 but was never too interested because of the "clean" moniker attached to it. Glad u mentioned 3D, big and detailed--makes me want to hear it. Do u use it for male vox at all? If so, is it your goto for the same? Thanks..

The Hardy is clean for sure, but not in a Grace way (I had a 201 briefly and sent it back) - to me the Hardy is the most "natural" sounding of any of the preamps I've personally used. The right mics, the right instruments, the right musicians - the Hardy just seems to bring out that extra 10% that has made me feel like I've got a warm-but-not-artificial sound - no added boominess when you layer them, yet warm and real sounding on sparse material.

As for vox, I can't REALLY comment on that too much first hand - the vast majority of what I do with it is soundtrack, instrumental, classical, folky stuff...but I imagine that it would work on a lot of vocals very well, providing you have a good singer that you're not looking to mask anything about. You can get it up near the very top of it's gain range and not get much, if any, distortion going on.

It's not the worlds most flexible preamp if you need one that can give you a ton of color, but the quality of what it does can't be beat IMO.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Damn, never even heard of the aml 5003d! More research for me. So, Jeff, if you had a choice of one, you would generally use the 5003d or ma5 over the GR for vox?

Thanks for the post and pre that is new to me.
Yep... depends on the voice which pre, but... We also use the Phoenix DRS2 a lot, too... I think it's great on thinner voices -- some people will find the top end a little too rolled off, as it won't give you pop/modern air, but that's why we like it. we've used the TG2 for vox on a couple of albums, too... it can work great on a pretty full, mid to low mid voice... the aml has a really nice, reedy but sweet (without being too silky/creamy) mid/upper mid that's just damn cool with what i'd call the americana jangle tones -- accordion, organ, electric guitar that's just breaking up, acoustic guitar that's wonderful but not sparkly, the right voice with a little plaintive burr, etc.

the great river's cool, just not for my taste... taste is such a personal thing... and we're more in the business of recording our own music for film and album's, etc.... it'd no doubt be a different story if we needed to cover the breadth of commercial ground required for a studio to make money...

do check out the aml if you're curious... they also have a new 1073 pre with EQ now that's gotten nice comments...
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Guru

Seeing as I keep using the same preamps year after year, but my raw tracks continue to sound better and better and need less and less eq at mix, I reckon I'll keep the preamps I got and stay relentlessly focused on the craft.

Mics, on the other hand... can't get enough of 'em.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
Seeing as I keep using the same preamps year after year, but my raw tracks continue to sound better and better and need less and less eq at mix, I reckon I'll keep the preamps I got and stay relentlessly focused on the craft.

And those preamps owned by ubk would be.......
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Avedis Ma5 and then to a Neve 1073DPD - each one brought me closer to the smooth and creamy and farther from the hard and chunky that I found the Great River to be. I prefer the latter for peanut butter but I guess my pre-amp tastes are different.
Old 10th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post

Gregory Scott - ubk
+1. I'd rather have one amazing pre and 10 good mics, than 10 good pres and one amazing mic.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

How does a GPA Pre73 compare?
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
And those preamps owned by ubk would be.......

2 channels of api 312 and 2 channels of Peavey VMP2. Honestly, I'm not a preamp snob, or if I am then most boutique preamps satisfy my snobby tastebuds. That's why there are no Kush preamps on the market and none in the pipeline, I love good preamps but I just can't get excited about them.

Gearwise, I find myself being infinitely more particular about mics, compressors and converters. Reverb is what's on my radar these days, I'm wanting more of it in my productions but the itb offerings never make me want to turn them up and feature them so I suspect it's time to get a Bricasti in here and see what I've been missing.

But yeah, you could steal my preamps and replace them with almost anything else in the high end range and I probably wouldn't bat an eye. Can't say the same of all the comps I have here, I rely on each one to do its thing because nothing else can.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Chandler TG2 is pretty worthy
Daking IV as well.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

nah.....the thread title should read:

"my world changed when i went to great river pres"!!!

.....coz i havn't given preamps a second thought ever since! i worry about other things now like : which mic to use and where to place it......which snare sounds best on this track and how should i tune it........etc etc.

i can't stand the whole search-for-the-holy-preamp saga i see here over and over. if you are in the GR-league of pres and you aren't happy with your beds/mixes - look elsewhere for the weak-link....and that includes the mirror.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
nah.....the thread title should read:

"my world changed when i went to great river pres"!!!

.....coz i havn't given preamps a second thought ever since! i worry about other things now like : which mic to use and where to place it......which snare sounds best on this track and how should i tune it........etc etc.

i can't stand the whole search-for-the-holy-preamp saga i see here over and over. if you are in the GR-league of pres and you aren't happy with your beds/mixes - look elsewhere for the weak-link....and that includes the mirror.
Uhhh no, the thread should be titled exactly as it is. Sorry to hear that you've decided that one pre (GR) is your holy preamp. I like the GR, never said I didn't. I know the lead vox sound I'm after and the GR falls a little short of it--It's called "knowing what sound you want" and "having good ears."

Soo....I guess you'll have to tell Dr. Dre & Mauricio "Vito" Iragorri (neve 1073), Drew Coleman (long-time Neptunes recording engineer, avalon 737/neve 1081), Butch Vig (neve console), Jimmy Douglass (neve VR console), Glen Ballard (demeter VTMP2a) and others that they are weak links for using all those damn non-GR pres to sell millions of hit records....
Old 9th April 2012
Gear Nut

I've just found this thread cause I feel a bit like the op.
Still disapointed that the great river looses systematicly every shootout I do.
Yesterday it was with a brauner AE on a female vocal against the console amek mozart... The GR was so dry and sterile.

I ve bought recently buzz elixir's, bae 312's , daking mic pre one , a chandler germanium and the great river mp-500, and I must admit the GR is the only one that doesn't excite me that much.
I had instant love for the other ones.

My amek c.i.b is a bit like the GR, it's maybe why I didn't see the improvement on my stuff...(i also have avalon 737 that, like the c.i.b, I like quite well.)

Now, one month after my purchase, I recorded 4 rock bands, 1 brass ensemble and 1 vocal ensemble and the result is even clearer to me.
Ok I m much happier with it if I put a dynamic or ribbon mic. But for that the buzz, daking and bae gave me each time the feelings that I have new mics that cost twice their price! The germ too but not in the same way...

As it's only a one month experiment, I 'll still try to find a place in the 32 tracks I record usually where I'll love it. Cause now it remains for snare bottom or hi-hat... sadly tracks I don't use that much.

steph
Old 9th April 2012
Gear Addict

Nah sold my me 1 nv after one week...

Then bought me 2 nv

Awseome pres, one channel wasn,t enough

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search