The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Mic Preamp for my Neumann TLM 103 Single-Channel Preamps
Old 3rd September 2011
Here for the gear

New Mic Preamp for my Neumann TLM 103

Hi All,

I'm looking for a new preamp to go with my Neumann TLM 103. I'm looking to spend between £600 - £700 new or secondhand, I don't need any bells and whistles just a straight forward preamp, 1 input is enough 2 would be nice but not essential and an instrument DI input.

I will mainly be using the preamp for Male vocals, Acoustic guitar and some Electric guitar.

Any suggestions/ personal experiences?

Kind Regards,
Josh
Old 3rd September 2011
Focusrite ISA one would be a great match.
Old 4th September 2011
Not sure what the current exchange rate comes out to be, but my main pre amp is the Great River ME-1NV, which seems to compliment the TLM-103 very well. A lot of people on here like to hate on the TLM-103, but I've got some great vocal tracks through it when paired up with the Great River. I've got quite a few other microphones since then, so the 103 doesn't get called into action as much any more, but it does sound good through that pre-amp (usually followed by a Cranesong Trakker through the UA-2192 converters).
Old 4th September 2011
ADL600 would be great
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Addict

As much as I may consider the TLM103 to be a less than ideal microphone (I'm a hater of it for sure), the Great River product is an exceptional pre amp.

An SM7B for 1/3 the money of the 103 might be a nice option for you down the road.

Coupled with the Great River it sounds good (SM7B).
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

an AML 5003D would help give the 103 the warmth and fullness it needs... i think a 103 and a focusrite would be downright icy...
Old 4th September 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks for your helpful suggestions guys.
I have tried it with the Focusrite ISA One and it actually sounded nice, I just wanted to see what the other options were...
The Great River looks really good but a little outside my price range (Maybe one will come up on ebay soon :-) )

The ADL600 is way out of my price bracket and the AML5003d I can't seem to find it for sale in the UK; only in the US.

Any other suggestions guys?

Thanks,
Josh
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Daking Mic Pre One.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjoneill View Post
..... the AML5003d I can't seem to find it for sale in the UK
Made in Manchester..... You can order them from the on-line store or come and collect them if you want.

Audio Maintenance Limited Electronic Products

Colin
Audio Maintenance Limited
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

Hey SlenderChap
I have had a look at the AML5003D pre and it has some very good reviews!!!
I'm new to the whole 500 series so please bear with me :-)
For this series you need rack/ power supply to power the preamps... such as the API Lunchbox which is approx ?400, that seems pretty pricey considering it's essentially just a power supply. Do you know of any other manufacturers that provide a similar 500 series rack and a much cheaper price? The combination of the AML5003D and the rack will push me over my original budget.

Thanks for your help,

Josh
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

there are rackmountable 2 preamp-space racks for 500 series...at about 300$. (more or less 175 pounds)
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

There's also the UA Solo 610.
Old 6th September 2011
FMR RNP will leave you change for an RNC!
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

I found my Phoenix Audio DRS-2 ( or 1) does a nice job of taking a little of that cold edge off the 103.

-R
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by outUVphaze View Post
As much as I may consider the TLM103 to be a less than ideal microphone (I'm a hater of it for sure), the Great River product is an exceptional pre amp.

An SM7B for 1/3 the money of the 103 might be a nice option for you down the road.

Coupled with the Great River it sounds good (SM7B).
+1000 on this. I have WAS debating a TLM103 or similar LDC (AT4050, C414b XLII, bla bla) just for vocals until I bought the Great River ME1NV. I can't justify buying another mic with the sound I can get from it and an SM-7b. It even makes SM57/58s shine. I tried it with a female backing vocalist but with a C414b XLS and I didn't need to to much more with the track except play with the fader until it sat right in the mix.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Only thing I ever liked my TLM103 was a Dan Alexander dual 1272, I think the GR would be a little to neutral to give it that big Neve vibe that made it work!

I do agree though I would find the SM7B far more useful for vocals about 98% of the time.

Ask your self this, Am I looking for the right pre for this mic? Or, am I trying to find a pre that will make this mic work for me? If its the Latter go mic shopping, no pre is going to change a mic drastically, subtly yes but I have never heard of a pre ruining a take!
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

While the 103 is in no way the screeching banshee it is sometimes said to be, it does have a very present tone, so a thick/dark preamp might be a good complement.
I remember Fletcher writing that Mercenary uses a TLM103 to check preamps: if a pre doesn't exaggerate the 103's character, it's considered good.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjoneill View Post
(...) Do you know of any other manufacturers that provide a similar 500 series rack and a much cheaper price?
Check out lunchboxhero.com
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I have a TLM-103 and find the UA LA-610 adds plenty of much-needed warmth, sounds great.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

I would go for a neutral pre with the TLM 103. Its funny because I never considered using the GR with it, I always plug it into the 737.
Old 10th September 2011
Here for the gear

Hey Guys,
Thanks for all your feedback, I found an Avalon M5 going cheap on Ebay so I thought I would give that a try... I have read both good and bad things about it :-s I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks,
Josh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search