The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Coleman LS3 NS10/Auratone Switcher? Studio Monitors
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Coleman LS3 NS10/Auratone Switcher?

Hey I have a Coleman LS3 and I'm getting Auratones and NS10's which id prefer to run off the same amp, can I use the LS3 between the speakers and the amp with 1/4"->speaker wire connections in between?
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Nobody? No wiring nerds out there that can make sense of this for me before I blindly send these innocent 1/4" cables to their maker?
Old 4th September 2011

pretty sure it would need a buffer stage for switching between speakers.....
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio507 View Post
...can I use the LS3 between the speakers and the amp
The Coleman LS3 is a balanced line level switching device, not a speaker switcher, so one would surmise that it's not designed to switch high current signals between alternate low impedance loads.

As a passive line selector, you can expect the LS3 to work, but to be sub-optimal in that role. You would probably be better off with something that uses high current relays to do the switching. JMO.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Wow thanks, this is the exact sort of basic electrical engineering nerdery I needed. I've searched a million times without to many a definitive answer...I guess the best solution then is to get a 2nd amplifier for the auratones or make a DIY switcher out of lightswitches?
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky Media View Post

As a passive line selector, you can expect the LS3 to work, but to be sub-optimal in that role.
In what way suboptimal? Was interested in getting one for its intended purpose.....anything you want to share that might put me off?
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

I've used one as a switcher between Active monitors and samplers and such and it's performed marvelously. if that's what you need it for, go for it. I also used it as essentially a mixer for 3 devices in a pinch (A VERY CRUDE mixer) and it worked well.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
In what way suboptimal? Was interested in getting one for its intended purpose.....anything you want to share that might put me off?
Sorry if I was not clear.

The LS3, being designed as a balanced line switcher, can be expected to be optimal for line level signal switching, but it may not be optimal as a speaker switcher connected between the output of an amp and the speakers and switching high current and high power loads (rather than switching line level signals before the amp, as it is designed to do).

The OP was asking about using the LS3 to switch the output of an amp rather than the input. Hence my response.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky Media View Post
Sorry if I was not clear.

The LS3, being designed as a balanced line switcher, can be expected to be optimal for line level signal switching, but it may not be optimal as a speaker switcher connected between the output of an amp and the speakers and switching high current and high power loads (rather than switching line level signals before the amp, as it is designed to do).

The OP was asking about using the LS3 to switch the output of an amp rather than the input. Hence my response.

Thank you. For a second there I thought I was reading the first negative evaluation of the little Coleman I'd come across......I shall seek the wee bugger out then.
Old 24th September 2011
Lives for gear

So . . . just to reiterate . . . for the slow ones (like me).

I just want to be 100% clear about this before dropping $100.

I run two powered Yorkville E10p's from my Mackie 1220i when I'm jamming/writing, and two powered M-Audio CX5 nearfields from the same Mackie when I'm mixing. Because both these sets of speakers are powered and receiving line level signals I can use the Coleman LS3 to switch between them (instead of having to unplug one set to plug in the other) and expect bare-minimal to zero sound coloration?
Old 24th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmwpg View Post
I just want to be 100% clear about this before dropping $100.

I run two powered Yorkville E10p's from my Mackie 1220i when I'm jamming/writing, and two powered M-Audio CX5 nearfields from the same Mackie when I'm mixing. Because both these sets of speakers are powered and receiving line level signals I can use the Coleman LS3 to switch between them (instead of having to unplug one set to plug in the other) and expect bare-minimal to zero sound coloration?
Yes.
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio507 View Post
Hey I have a Coleman LS3 and I'm getting Auratones and NS10's which id prefer to run off the same amp, can I use the LS3 between the speakers and the amp with 1/4"->speaker wire connections in between?
It'll work if you put the Coleman between the line level output source and your power amps inputs..Good luck...
Old 7th May 2015
Lives for gear

Looking at a Coleman LS3 to switch three different inputs into a set of powered monitors. All three of the inputs run at the same impedance and level.

If the powered monitors are turned up, do you not get a "snap" or "pop" when switching the Coleman's input selection?
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

Hi
If you speak DIRECTLY to Coleman they will KNOW the answer to this question and once you have explained to them exactly what you are doing they can advise as necessary. THEN if it does misbehave you will have at least some redress. A box with simple switches CAN 'cause' minor clicks but it is NOT the box itself but the fact that the connections to your speaker go 'open' momentarily. This is one of the downsides to 'cheap and cheerful' designs even if they aren't cheap.
To make a unit that TRULY has no clicks/pops/crosstalk is actually a fairly tall order as all outputs should be 'terminated' when NOT being used and other design 'considerations'. This is a bit beyond the simple question so again, talk to Coleman (or a good knowledgeable dealer).
Matt S
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrod View Post
If the powered monitors are turned up, do you not get a "snap" or "pop" when switching the Coleman's input selection?
ime, no, you don't get a "snap" or "pop" when switching the Coleman's input selection. But I think this is more likely because the LS3 has individual on/off switches for the 3 inputs rather than any fancy double-pole/double-throw switches to select between inputs, and so the actual workflow I've gotten into the habit of is turning one off then turning another on.
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
ime, no, you don't get a "snap" or "pop" when switching the Coleman's input selection. But I think this is more likely because the LS3 has individual on/off switches for the 3 inputs rather than any fancy double-pole/double-throw switches to select between inputs, and so the actual workflow I've gotten into the habit of is turning one off then turning another on.
Ah, I see. I figured it was a latched mechanism where if you select one input, the one currently down pops up such that so you can only have one active at a time.

I understand now one poster's comment about using it as a rudimentary mixer. You can have more than one input pressed at one time, basically a Y-cord (which is obviously not a good way to do it for inputs).

Thanks for the education.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search