The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Telefunken M15A vs Studer A807 vs Tascam BR20 Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Telefunken M15A vs Studer A807 vs Tascam BR20

Hello tape guys,
Im recording to daw/ logic through ssl alphalink, mixing with my
d&r orion console.
To give my mixes more depth/ dimensions/ glue (and tape compression if needed) I would like to mix to tape.
Mixing through a buss comp+ eq doesnt give me this sound Im looking for.

Which option would you choose soundwise:

Telefunken M15A/ Studer A807/ Tascam BR20?

Thanks a lot for your help and time
Tom
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Nobody ?

...after searching the web I tend to choose the M15...,
but some statements from experienced tapemachine users who know the sound of these machines would be very helpful...heh
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Head

Hi

since servicing of analog Studer maschines is our main business we know these maschines inside out. questions like yours is one of the most frequent asked question in our business.

so when you talk about choosing one of those maschines I guess you talk about Sound issues first. One thing you shouldn’t forget is that the recording medium’s characteristics have an impact on other aspects of the recording process. Recording to tape will inherently impose a certain sonic character (however subtle), which will change the way you work compared with DAW recordings and mixes

Choosing between STUDER A807 and a Telefunken M15 (A) is a matter of Taste, both are very fine maschines (assuming that both machines are serviced and freshly aligned to factory specs).

technicaly speaking they are very different in (age and construction, logic, tapedrive, electronics.....

Since we have both maschines ready to use in our demo-room, you can listen and try them if you want too (free of charge).

for all further questions don't hesitate to call us during office time.

Andreas Kuhn

analog-audio kuhn
professionelle Tonbandtechnik
Seestrasse 41; CH-3700 Spiez
Tel/Fax: ++41 (0) 33 654 93 22

E-Mail: [email protected]
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

You can't go wrong with either Telefunken or Studer.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Thanks Andreas and Hans.
Switzerland is a little bit far away to listen A/B, but thanks for the invitation Andreas.
I read somewhere that the M15 (A) has preamps with more headroom so you can get tapesaturation easy without distorting the preamps...
Is this right?
I would like to use the tapesaturation during recording too
(f.e. recording guitar through reprohead so I can hear the saturation effect).
Does somebody know about the latency if monitoring through the outputs of the tapemachine?

Thanks for your advice
Tom
Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

In case you set on the Telefunken, I have one for sale right now, in great condition. Email me at [email protected] if ineterested.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

it's been a while correct me if i'm worng but modern tape saturates at about 2350nW ?? don't you mean tape compression?
i've got an M15 and can't be happier, also had a studer , very good but i prefer the M15 sonically, but depends on wich model studer too ofcourse..
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search