The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Home Stereo System As Secondary Monitors
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Home Stereo System As Secondary Monitors

Hey all I have a fully treated studio and HD-1's as mains. Without a secondary speaker really my mixes are some times erratic mainly past 7k and down around 47Hz. I'm thinking about getting a high end Klipsch Home theater system to check my mixes on. Is there a rule against that somewhere, mainly the home theater part? The speakers would be in the same room and right next to the HD-1s.

Thanks,
Kenny
Old 3rd September 2011
Umm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyS View Post
Hey all I have a fully treated studio and HD-1's as mains. Without a secondary speaker really my mixes are some times erratic mainly past 7k and down around 47Hz. I'm thinking about getting a high end Klipsch Home theater system to check my mixes on. Is there a rule against that somewhere, mainly the home theater part? The speakers would be in the same room and right next to the HD-1s.

Thanks,
Kenny
Nothing wrong with that, I don't think you can have too many points of reference. Or different types of speakers, some of the old school Klipsch stuff
is remarkably good for monitoring and surprisingly flat in frequency response. There is a load of after-market crossovers available + some very nicely made horn and tweeter diaphragms.
heh
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

re: Klipsch

Agree with the old-school suggestion for a very different reference point, but note that only the old Klipschs are old school: La Scala, Khorn, Belle, Cornwall - skip the Heresy and the new stuff. LaScalas in a big room with the right amps can be good. Double stacked LaScalas outdoors are a riot. Note that none of them have deep bass -- Paul Klipsch told me that even the KHorns didn't put out much of anything below 40Hz. Also they aren't big on low-level detail and harmonics. But their timbre doesn't change a bit from mf to ffff and that can be lots of fun.

WW
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Hmm thanks for the input. I find myself not putting enough high end information in my mixes even with the high end room acoustics. With mixes to muddy and low ranged would it be more of a mix cubes or something else solution or would a home theater system be able to give me some good pointers.

Thanks,
Kenny
Old 3rd September 2011
Umm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyS View Post
Hmm thanks for the input. I find myself not putting enough high end information in my mixes even with the high end room acoustics. With mixes to muddy and low ranged would it be more of a mix cubes or something else solution or would a home theater system be able to give me some good pointers.

Thanks,
Kenny
I think the home theatre idea might be a bit too (all things to all men) for the purpose you have in mind. A pair of Cornwalls would steer you away from
bass heavy and muddy as they are bass heavy and muddy, on the other hand
a pair of 15" tannoy dual concentrics like DMT's will set you very straight in the too boomy mix department too.
They wont sound pretty but they wont steer you wrong, they are utterly horrible on a bad mix.
What about some old Urei or Altec dual Concs they tell no lies either.
heh
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks, I'll check them out. I am looking for something that sounds horrible on a bad mix.

Thanks,
Kenny
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

So, it seems those options are pretty hard to come by. Is there anything more recent like them?

Thanks,
Kenny
Old 3rd September 2011
I current use a pair of Paradigm Monitor 7s with a Blue Sky Sub...

went from a Pair of B&W 600s and a pair of Blue Sky System 1s

Whatever works
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

So it seems I'm in search of some boxy monitors possibly a little low end mud if the mix has it I want to here it! Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kenny

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search