The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Event Opal vs. Krk Expose E8B vs. Genelec 8050 Studio Monitors
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Event Opal vs. Krk Expose E8B vs. Genelec 8050

Hello!!!

I am in need of a bit better monitors, so I narrowed my search to this 3 rather expensive models. This 3 monitors are the only good ones I can order from local shop, since the demand for them is very low, owner of the store only orders them if someone specially wants them to buy, so no way of demoing them. So, that's why I ask you, if you have experience with this monitors, to give me some input about how you like them, pro's con's, etc.

The music I will produce on them is house, vocal house, chill out and some movie scores.

Monitors will be directly connected to SSL Nucleus, later on I might invest in some higer end DA converter, but I am totally satisfied with Nucleus one at the moment.

Thank you!!!
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear
Test them all out! They all have a different sound from each other so it's hard to say which you will like the most.

Id probably go the Event Opal route personally.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

I wrote that I cannot test them. And explained why...
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

By not testing them out you're taking a HUGE risk. Monitors are VERY subjective.

I understand your difficult situation, but you might find yourself buying and returning 3 sets of monitors

If you can afford that and are prepared for that, then
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomcore View Post
I wrote that I cannot test them. And explained why...
..then make sure that store has a good return policy!
You'll get as many opinions on monitors as there will be responses to a thread like this. Monitors (to a point) can be a subjective experience, not to mention that monitors will react differently in different rooms.

Each of the ones listed in the topic are pretty good, but with different 'voicing' and characteristics. Which one will fit your room and ears, that's hard to say.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Thank you guys for replies. I'll talk to the store owner and see what can I do about demoing. If anyone else have experience with one of those monitors, please, write it down. I know it's personal preference, but it's still good to hear some thoughts.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

The Genelec 8040s are outstanding -very neutral, extremely detailed. I assume the 8050s would be similar. If you are looking for a flat frequency response with lots of detail, go for the gens.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

I work daily on the 8040 (not the 8050) and the expose E8b...

both are good and similar, where the krk is slightly more natural in just about every way... what you would expect from the monitor 2,5 times the price of cource

when I wanted new monitors about a year ago the choice was between the Event Opals and the E8b also... But I found the E8b cheap before I had a chance to listen to the Opals..
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

I work every day on with the Event Opals in my studio and am extremely happy with them Especially for the music I do - mainly dance.
And an added bonus is the studio EQ you get once you registered them so you can adjust the room modes.
Old 6th March 2012
Here for the gear

after working for a good week on 8050s i can assure you that opals give you more definition and depth in compare-sent but dont go as loud (unless you want to break genelec fragile amps), sorta want to keep my opals and sell on my gens but will probably give it afew more months before i decide
Old 6th March 2012
I regularly work with Expose's almost everyday. I find them very natural and detailed, with plenty of headroom and depth. They are very easy to mix on and in my experience working in a room that is rather extensively treated acoustically mixes always translate well to a wide variety of other systems. It didn't take very long to "learn" them. They don't push any details. They don't mask anything either. It's just balanced and natural, without any loss of detail throughout. It was a very easy experience getting to know them. For 5k a pair they are worth the money IMO.

I auditioned Opals and found they were very good as well and had a slightly more controlled sounding bass presentation, perhaps a bit tighter. But I didn't keep the Opals because the differences weren't critical enough to make a switch from something I know intimately and that is already paid for many times over. The Opal is an exceptional bargain IMO. I could work with either the E8b or Opal without a problem.

On a side note, I don't know what dealer you're working with but there are plenty of dealers that ship internationally and they have a return policy. It's just a simple buy it and try it. If you like it keep it. If you don't send it back and keep looking. That's what I almost always end up doing and I find it works quite well. I STRONGLY urge you to consider auditioning extensively anything that requires thousands of dollars of cash outlay. It's just not worth the hassle of re-selling and opinions on the web are worthless, especially about recording gear. So much garbage, even from experienced professionals that taking that stuff as any kind of truth is a mistake in almost every case.
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlightened Hand View Post
On a side note, I don't know what dealer you're working with but there are plenty of dealers that ship internationally and they have a return policy. It's just a simple buy it and try it. If you like it keep it. If you don't send it back and keep looking.

<snip>

It's just not worth the hassle of re-selling..... .
I could imagine, in the case of a pair of huge/heavy Opal boxes bought/shipped internationally, that it might be cheaper (in some cases) to sell them locally than ship/return them back to a international dealer.
Old 14th May 2012
Here for the gear

i had opals then sold them to get 8050s , worst decision ever. also the opals are heaps heavy, the 8050s and opals are apparently same weight (aprox) but opals killed me when getting them on my desk. but the stereo imaging and lowend totally dominated the 8050s and there position options are great. wish i had held onto them...:(
Old 14th May 2012
Lives for gear

Opals are great!!!
Old 14th May 2012
Gear Maniac

I see Sweetwater Music has 18 month financing on Event Monitors.

Any of you guys compared the Focal Twins to the Opals?

I am shopping for new moniters in this price range and I might head to Sweetwaters Gearfest to possibly get a pair hopefuly on sale.
Old 14th May 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post

I am shopping for new moniters in this price range and I might head to Sweetwaters Gearfest to possibly get a pair hopefuly on sale.

The Twins lack low end, especially compared to the Opal's, Twins below 40Hz are weak and they are mid forward overall. The Opal's overall offer more detail and exposure across the spectrum.
Old 14th May 2012
Gear Head

Opals all the way. I love mine. Had the gens sold them... Never worked on the krk
Old 14th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomox View Post
The Twins lack low end, especially compared to the Opal's, Twins below 40Hz are weak and they are mid forward overall. The Opal's overall offer more detail and exposure across the spectrum.
Pretty much this^^, but being monitors are so subjective and personal, you'll need to try them both out first, before you buy.

They are voiced different and you just might like the voicing of the Twins.

And since you're shopping, you should try to drive some of the new Pelonis 4288's, they should be a contender and a little cheaper too.
Old 14th May 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Before buying the Opals, I did side by side comparison of the Focal Twins, KRK Expose E8bs and the Opals in a friend's well-appointed control room. The Twins were leaner in the bass than the Opals, but the Twins had excellent balance across the spectrum and I liked the >10K Hz range better on the Twins because they were smooth and airy without being fatiguing.

The Expose was the first to be eliminated. Listening to voice, acoustic guitar, acoustic grand piano and percussion was enough to show that the KRK was less revealing in the midrange compared to the Opals and Twins. The KRKs sounded like the upper mids were muted by comparison, so you felt like they needed to be turned up more to get detail.

The imaging and depth of the Opals won the day for me more so than the bass extension. They made the soundstage considerably larger and more defined. In monitors for mixing, I want midrange accuracy/flatness first and foremost, but analytical resolution is a powerful tool to have in your pocket.

Two years on, I'm still loving the Opals. Break-in time was fairly long, so give them a few days if you go that way.
Old 14th May 2012
Gear Maniac

I will give them both a listen at Sweetwaters Gearfest.
The Twins must really lack in the low end since so many people comment on it.

I know they will be using the twins with a sub in the performance room so it should be cool to hear that setup while that producer FAB records a band.
Old 14th May 2012
Gear Maniac

Sounds like you cant go wrong with the Opals if thats your price range and for me it would be silly to spend more than 5k since I dont have a solid recording location yet.
Old 14th May 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:

I have the Focal Twins and the Event Studio Precision 8. My room is well treated and design. I A/B the 2 monitors and in my room the Events is the winner. I get better top/clarity from the Events but they both translate very good. I can mix faster with the Events cause im hearing things better in the mix compare to the Focal Twins.

I'm selling the Focals and looking to get the opals or Adam A77x. The focal Twins sounds good really good but the HF is not there where as the Event Studio Precision 8 HF is great at least in my studio. I have the Twins HF turn all the way up and the Events HF set to flat and the Events lets me hear everything in the mix.

This is in my room experience with the Focal twins for 1 1/2 years and the Event Studio Precision 8 for about 5 years.

denlig
Old 14th May 2012
Lives for gear
Don't forget the Adam S2X to test though, these bad boys will surprise you allot with their immense detail and accuracy across the whole spectrum (Especially how low they go considering the size of the woofer) The SX blow away the AX series also in every department (That includes the A77x which are still as good / better then the twins depending on personal preference) so I'd deffo test the S2X if considering changing.
Old 14th May 2012
not quite the same thing, but I've used Genelec 8030a monitors and also Opals (very different ranges, i know!). the Opals have a wonderful depth to the sound which the Genes just don't have, and they're also far more revealing.

The Opals seem to just have a wonderful clarity to them and I couldn't recommend them enough
Old 15th May 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomox View Post
Don't forget the Adam S2X to test though, these bad boys will surprise you allot with their immense detail and accuracy across the whole spectrum (Especially how low they go considering the size of the woofer) The SX blow away the AX series also in every department (That includes the A77x which are still as good / better then the twins depending on personal preference) so I'd deffo test the S2X if considering changing.
I have a pair of the Adam A7s and they are nice but the tweeter does get on my nerves sometimes after about 3 hours in front of them.

I just threw up my old NS-10ms and I am having fun listening to them again.

They really do expose alot of detail in some mixes compared to the A7s especially with reverbs and delays.

It sucks now that Sweetwater dropped the ADAM line so I wont be able to hear those new Adams at Gearfest.

I bet those SX2 Adams are nice.
Old 15th May 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
I have a pair of the Adam A7s and they are nice but the tweeter does get on my nerves sometimes after about 3 hours in front of them.

I just threw up my old NS-10ms and I am having fun listening to them again.

They really do expose alot of detail in some mixes compared to the A7s especially with reverbs and delays.

It sucks now that Sweetwater dropped the ADAM line so I wont be able to hear those new Adams at Gearfest.

I bet those SX2 Adams are nice.
The new tweeter is less harsh though yet more detailed. Old A7's are quite nice but the old tweeter can get quite harsh if not tweaking it down. They improved the AX series in every area, though the SX are just a big level up in every are also.

Personally it's S2X > Opal's for me personally, though would like to hear the 4288.
Old 1st January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncamorea View Post
Before buying the Opals, I did side by side comparison of the Focal Twins, KRK Expose E8bs and the Opals in a friend's well-appointed control room. The Twins were leaner in the bass than the Opals, but the Twins had excellent balance across the spectrum and I liked the >10K Hz range better on the Twins because they were smooth and airy without being fatiguing.

The Expose was the first to be eliminated. Listening to voice, acoustic guitar, acoustic grand piano and percussion was enough to show that the KRK was less revealing in the midrange compared to the Opals and Twins. The KRKs sounded like the upper mids were muted by comparison, so you felt like they needed to be turned up more to get detail.

The imaging and depth of the Opals won the day for me more so than the bass extension. They made the soundstage considerably larger and more defined. In monitors for mixing, I want midrange accuracy/flatness first and foremost, but analytical resolution is a powerful tool to have in your pocket.

Two years on, I'm still loving the Opals. Break-in time was fairly long, so give them a few days if you go that way.
Really? U liked the Opals over the Expose's? The thing that scared me over the Opals was the 270w amp on the low driver & 50w on the high. That seemed like one hell of mismatch to me so I couldn't imagine getting a balanced accurate sound out of em. the Expose's were 140w & 120w. Other than that they are a bit smaller than the Expose's but look like a very well-build speaker that I was considering but then I found someone selling the Expose's locally at too good of deal to pass up so I went w/ those instead. I would've been perfectly fine w/ either especially since I was using a pair of Mackies...for years. Also I think a sub should be added to any set of speakers regardless so u can hear the whole picture.
Old 2nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthrill View Post
Really? U liked the Opals over the Expose's? The thing that scared me over the Opals was the 270w amp on the low driver & 50w on the high. That seemed like one hell of mismatch to me so I couldn't imagine getting a balanced accurate sound out of em. the Expose's were 140w & 120w.

Monitor design is not in your future.

Ironically, having a more equal amp power between the tweeter and woofer is more of a 'mismatch' than having a much bigger amp for the woofer.

Also, the Opals continuous power rating is 387w & 112w.
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post

Monitor design is not in your future.

Ironically, having a more equal amp power between the tweeter and woofer is more of a 'mismatch' than having a much bigger amp for the woofer.

Also, the Opals continuous power rating is 387w & 112w.
See, that's why I got u guys here. Ok I'm gonna make it a point to go hear the Opals. Can't wait to see how accurate they are, how loud they crank, & how they compare soundwise to the Expose's.

I do hear what you're saying but the Expose's sound perfectly balanced to me still & they do have some pretty good low end too.
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah, the lows are what sucks all the amp/watts pwr.

The highs use very little power.

You can't 'rumble' a room (or car) with just highs. And all that rumbling takes a huge amount of energy (watts).

The Opals go LOUD and CLEAN. They have something like 1,000 watts of burst energy (peak), important for those big transients. I haven't heard any active around this size go louder cleanly.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search