The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Event Opal vs. Krk Expose E8B vs. Genelec 8050
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
Yeah, the lows are what sucks all the amp/watts pwr.

The highs use very little power.

You can't 'rumble' a room (or car) with just highs. And all that rumbling takes a huge amount of energy (watts).

The Opals go LOUD and CLEAN. They have something like 1,000 watts of burst energy (peak), important for those big transients. I haven't heard any active around this size go louder cleanly.
So u have heard the Expose's?

I dunno, I'm lookin at the PMC AML2 (not too shabby of a speaker) on Vintage King's (BTW-love me some Vintage King) website & says amp power for LF driver has 100w & HF has 80w. The 2 drivers seem to be pretty close in power. Smaller LF driver of course but I'm sure these things still crank pretty good, no?
Old 4th January 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthrill View Post
I dunno, I'm lookin at the PMC AML2 (not too shabby of a speaker) on Vintage King's (BTW-love me some Vintage King) website & says amp power for LF driver has 100w & HF has 80w. The 2 drivers seem to be pretty close in power. Smaller LF driver of course but I'm sure these things still crank pretty good, no?
That's because the nominal impedance of the woofer is 4 or 6 ohm (has been some time ago that I measured it; I'm sure DC resistance was below 4 ohm) and of the tweeter 8 ohm, so the amp for the woofer can be of lesser power for the same spl. You just can't compare loudspeakers by comparing the amp specs in terms off plain watt-figurs. Some loudspeakers like maybe Event Opal might have some serious amp for the woofer maybe just because it's driver is very inefficient so you need lots of power to reach a certain spl, whereas there are high efficient systems that reach the same spl at maybe only 5w.

What you could compare are standardized figures, something like "Max. SPL in full space / calc. in half space at 3% THD at 1m" (that's what Neumann uses in their specs)
Old 5th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JochenM View Post
That's because the nominal impedance of the woofer is 4 or 6 ohm (has been some time ago that I measured it; I'm sure DC resistance was below 4 ohm) and of the tweeter 8 ohm, so the amp for the woofer can be of lesser power for the same spl. You just can't compare loudspeakers by comparing the amp specs in terms off plain watt-figurs. Some loudspeakers like maybe Event Opal might have some serious amp for the woofer maybe just because it's driver is very inefficient so you need lots of power to reach a certain spl, whereas there are high efficient systems that reach the same spl at maybe only 5w.

What you could compare are standardized figures, something like "Max. SPL in full space / calc. in half space at 3% THD at 1m" (that's what Neumann uses in their specs)
Yeah great facts here. I judge monitors simply based on me sitting in front of the damn things & what I feel they're telling me about the music. Hopefully they're transparent, revealing, very accurate. I wonder if the PMCs use any Chinese parts. Even if they do, it doesn't change the fact that it's obviously an amazing speaker that lots of great studio people love to use.
Old 5th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah great facts here. I judge monitors simply based on me sitting in front of the damn things & what I feel they're telling me about the music. Hopefully they're transparent, revealing, very accurate. .
Really?

Quote:
Really? U liked the Opals over the Expose's? The thing that scared me over the Opals was the 270w amp on the low driver & 50w on the high. That seemed like one hell of mismatch to me so I couldn't imagine getting a balanced accurate sound out of em. the Expose's were 140w & 120w..
Haven't heard the Expose's (though the question above was directed to a different poster), but even though monitors are a subjective thing, the Expose's appear to be in a higher class than the Mackies you have, so it should be an upgrade for sure. The thing I would worry about is reliability and parts. KRK has a history of discontinuing parts earlier that other manufactures, and also don't seem to be as reliable as most.
Old 5th January 2013
Lives for gear

ATC

hiya
Save your self a lot of time, order any pair of ATC monitors,
Opels are the wort monitors i have ever heard, focals are not a lot better,
its got to be ATC, its like a big microscope over your mix
Steve
Old 5th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
Really?

Haven't heard the Expose's (though the question above was directed to a different poster), but even though monitors are a subjective thing, the Expose's appear to be in a higher class than the Mackies you have, so it should be an upgrade for sure. The thing I would worry about is reliability and parts. KRK has a history of discontinuing parts earlier that other manufactures, and also don't seem to be as reliable as most.
Come on show some love. They're in a MUCH higher class than the Mackies. They're 76 lbs. each, look & sound great. They feel like a nice new car. The shell is great. Super wide sweet spot. Partly due to non-square cabinet design. KRK did their thing w/ this. There's really no "appear" about it. Yeah KRK did leave a lot of folks hanging for sure & I am taking a gamble w/ their product. Finally my Mackies have a real home & are now right where they belong...on the floor of my garage.
Old 6th January 2013
Lives for gear

Being I haven't heard the Expose's, I can't really show 'the love', I can only guesstimate, and for now, it 'appears' they're in a higher class than Mackies.

Sorry, that's the best I can do. Though it wouldn't surprise me one bit that they're in a 'MUCH' higher class than the Mackies, 'cos honestly, that's not hard to accomplish, especially at the price point the E8B's are at.

As for the Opals, I know they're in a much higher class than the Mackies
Old 6th January 2013
Lives for gear

Not hard to beat a Mackie, funny & true. I can live w/ that Fleaman. This monitor game is insane. Now there's someone on here saying the Opals are the worst monitors he's ever heard. These opinions are just always all over the place. I give up.
Old 6th January 2013
Lives for gear

Don't give up on monitors for 'you'.

Monitors are VERY subjective, when compared to each other in the same price class.

ATC's are of course great monitors, but you're looking at $13,000+ for a pair that gives the sorta low end extension the Opals give. Or, if on a budget (lol), around $8k if you don't mind a low end a bit shy of the Opals.

Opals are far from being the best in any price class, but for a monitor that you can really get by w/o a sub, I can't think of any monitor that's better than the Opals, in it's price class. Exception for perhaps the Pelonis 4288's, of which I've yet to hear.
Old 6th January 2013
Gear Head

My only advice would be to skip over all powered monitors altogether. I've personally owned almost everything high end except ATC, PMC and Harbeth and ALL powered monitors are compromises. The amplifiers and crossovers are mostly shallow, grey and are depthless blurry slop. I'm sorry but it's true. Right now I'm beta testing prototypes from a new company and they are so good I sold my last pair of powered monitors and subs because I could never use them again. KH O300 + 2X O800
The lack of headroom and smearing that was apparent when I switched back and forth was eye opening. I have to return these in a few months, but they assure me that the production models will be available then. I hope so because I just pocketed the $7000 I got from tossing the K+H. FYI the 300's replaced the 8050s which were compressed, struggling and sorry.
Old 6th January 2013
Lives for gear

Another thing to consider: For some reason some people have had extremely different performance results from Opals dependent on the style of connectors used (i.e., trs-xlr, trs-trs, xlr-xlr). Others have had no differences noted. Yet since there has been more than one poster noting these differences, it should be pointed out that there's always the possibility this could have been the issue.

Either the Opals in question might of been internally wired wrong for one style of connector, or they are just balanced weirdly, or something else.
Old 6th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBankInc View Post
My only advice would be to skip over all powered monitors altogether. I've personally owned almost everything high end except ATC, PMC and Harbeth and ALL powered monitors are compromises. The amplifiers and crossovers are mostly shallow, grey and are depthless blurry slop. I'm sorry but it's true. Right now I'm beta testing prototypes from a new company and they are so good I sold my last pair of powered monitors and subs because I could never use them again. KH O300 + 2X O800
The lack of headroom and smearing that was apparent when I switched back and forth was eye opening. I have to return these in a few months, but they assure me that the production models will be available then. I hope so because I just pocketed the $7000 I got from tossing the K+H. FYI the 300's replaced the 8050s which were compressed, struggling and sorry.
I'm with you on the most part. 0300's are known to be limited, etc.

In fact, the Opals are the only active monitors I have (my remaining 5 pairs of monitors are all passive). That being said, I've never heard any active as powerful as the Opals, they're PA loud/clean.

Problem is, there's hardly any passives to chose from these days, selection is just crap.
Old 6th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBankInc View Post
So ur saying u have found the active monitor that is the exception to the problem w/ most powered monitors? Then I have to hear them. Can u tell us what they r? Or at least where they're made??
Old 6th January 2013
Lives for gear

No, he's saying he's switching to passives.
Old 6th January 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Morley View Post
I work every day on with the Event Opals in my studio and am extremely happy with them Especially for the music I do - mainly dance.
And an added bonus is the studio EQ you get once you registered them so you can adjust the room modes.
Another Opal user here. I also move around with Opal to different rooms and the built in analog eq's plus calibration software and mic makes getting a flat response in any room a pinch.
I love them!
Old 6th January 2013
Gear Addict

I just got a pair of KRK E8B, and I think they are some if the most accurate and balanced monitors I have ever heard. I've been listening to some old mixes and reference tracks all day and these monitors really "exposé" the details that I wasn't able to hear before.
Old 7th January 2013
Lives for gear

I think I am goint to go also for the Opals.

I was hesitating between the Opals the Focals Twin or Solo.

But the Opals go very low and seem to very well translate

Sergio

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search