The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Summing with a Dangerous D-box and Saffire Pro 40 Interface Audio Interfaces
Old 2nd September 2011
Here for the gear

Summing with a Dangerous D-box and Saffire Pro 40 Interface

Hey guys! First time posting in here.

I've recently purchased a Saffire Pro 40 interface and a Dangerous D-box. The Pro 40 is for interfacing with Pro Tools 9 while the D-Box I want to use for D to A conversion, monitoring, and the 8 channels of summing.

My question is, does anyone have this setup working properly because I can not get my head around the Saffire Mix Control. Can anyone post a screenshot of their Mix Control screen and their Pro Tools screen when they are interfacing with a Dangerous D-Box for the analog summing.

Right now I have it hooked up as follows: 8 TRS out of the Pro 40 into the DB socket "SUM INPUT" of the D-box. Out of the SUM OUTPUT of the D-box into Mic/Line 7-8 of the Pro 40 (its a combi input, so I did Mic). Then SPDIF out of the Pro 40 into the DAW input of the D-box.

I know theirs a video out on YouTube of a guy showing you how to connect the cables in the back, but the most important part is the routing within the actual software! Thanks!

If my question is too vague, let me know and I will gladly add more detail. I have some mixes I need to do this weekend and this is bugging me!
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Addict
Yeah, I have the same challenge with my D-Box. I'm using an RME multiface, but can seem to get any signal to 1-2. 3-8 is fine, but a restrictive 8-ch summing mixer with only 6-ch is even more useless.
Old 2nd September 2011
Here for the gear

bump... Anyone with any experience with the Saffire Mix Control?
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

If you do a search there has been a ton of info on the D-Box.. Even I gave detailed info on setting it up.

Not sure the trouble you're having..
I use a RME Digiface which is tied to a SSL Alpha Link.

I use the D-Box DA 100% of the time when working. All my listening whether tracking or mixing is done there,

When mixing I send out 8ch's just like you do..
doesn't matter (for me) which 8 I send they all work.. Not sure why 1-2 isn't working.

As I mentioned I'm listening to the D-Box DA.. So I bring the D-Box summed output back in the SSL using ch 23-24 and I have the track I'm going to print to setup to SPDIF out to the D-box. So I'm always hearing what the return to AD is doing to my mix.

Not sure what trouble you are having...
Old 5th June 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk_Dynamite12 View Post
Hey guys! First time posting in here.

I've recently purchased a Saffire Pro 40 interface and a Dangerous D-box. The Pro 40 is for interfacing with Pro Tools 9 while the D-Box I want to use for D to A conversion, monitoring, and the 8 channels of summing.

My question is, does anyone have this setup working properly because I can not get my head around the Saffire Mix Control. Can anyone post a screenshot of their Mix Control screen and their Pro Tools screen when they are interfacing with a Dangerous D-Box for the analog summing.

Right now I have it hooked up as follows: 8 TRS out of the Pro 40 into the DB socket "SUM INPUT" of the D-box. Out of the SUM OUTPUT of the D-box into Mic/Line 7-8 of the Pro 40 (its a combi input, so I did Mic). Then SPDIF out of the Pro 40 into the DAW input of the D-box.

I know theirs a video out on YouTube of a guy showing you how to connect the cables in the back, but the most important part is the routing within the actual software! Thanks!

If my question is too vague, let me know and I will gladly add more detail. I have some mixes I need to do this weekend and this is bugging me!
I've recently purchased a D-Box, and am using a Saffire Pro 40 as well. How I have it configured is as such:

1. Using analog out 3-10 on my saffire pro going to the 8 TRS connections on my DSUB cable. (I keep analog out 1-2 unconnected)

2. I rout DAW channels 1-8 to analog out 3-10 in Saffire Mix Control.

3. I rout Mix (L) and Mix (R) to the SPDIF output 1 & 2 respectively.

4. Hold down shift key, and click on the buttons labelled 1,2,3,4,5,6 on the right side of Mix Control. They should be GREY in colour, not red, not blue.

Everything should work now. The biggest problem I have however, is that when I reopen my DAW (Logic), my presets are not working, even though I have it saved in Mix Control. I have to restore all defaults, and re-rout everything before it starts working again. Anybody have a solution to that??
Old 5th June 2012
Here for the gear

Attached Images

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search