The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Wunder CM7-GT Why so many for sale? Condenser Microphones
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear
Wunder CM7-GT Why so many for sale?

I'm thinking about purchasing this microphone, but I can't help but notice it is the one U47 clone that seems to always be up for sale in the classifieds.

Is this a function of exposure and popularity or the fact that this mic might not be as warm and full as people expect? Or is there something else about it that has so many people flipping them? The Flea is more than I want to spend and I find the 87 just too flat.

Thanks.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

GT

That mic sounds incredible so anyone in a financial bind, like alot of people are right now, will probably have a better chance of flipping it right now. Listened to in a shootout, this mic is awesome, but maybe some latest offerings are calling into question its price point.......

Last edited by Vintageidiot; 2nd September 2011 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Head
i love mine, i'd sell every other mic i own before i sold this wonderful mic.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Agreed with Vintageidiot ,

last saturday at Funky junk paris France we spent our afternoon listening all the Wunder Audio range CM7 , GT , Fet , all the range of Wunder audio Cm something is stellar

One thing I've learned from this test is that no one mike for all !!! the Fet was brilliant for Kick drum and Upright bass , sometimes the preamp and the mic can do miracles together , The wunder audio range in a studer 900 preamp is unbelievable ( and we did tests with a brent averill 1073 and my DRS 2 from Phoenix audio ) All theses preamps are stunning !!!! but sometimes a combination Pre/ Mic is phenomenal !!! take the right voice and you are there !!

Numerous Wunder CM 7 gt's sales ??? well people should start by buying audio creativity and inspiration cartridges LOL because when you have gear like this , you just can't go wrong , it's often the fault of the seller not the fault of the Microphone if something sounds bad, audio education is very important ....
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

it a good mic and worth its price
but not up to a really good u47 reissue
like the one andreas grosser builds.

if you listen at high levels
it does hum and hiss quite a bit
(even compared to a vintage 47)

except you are a collector and have plenty of waiting time
forget wunder audio support in europe.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotonic View Post
I'm thinking about purchasing this microphone, but I can't help but notice it is the one U47 clone that seems to always be up for sale in the classifieds.

Is this a function of exposure and popularity or the fact that this mic might not be as warm and full as people expect? Or is there something else about it that has so many people flipping them? The Flea is more than I want to spend and I find the 87 just too flat.

Thanks.
...I can account for one CM7-GT that was "flipped" not long ago...one of my associates brought his Wunder into my studio to be A/B'd with one of Dave Thomas' Advanced Audio CM-47...that comparison was enough to motivate a sale of the Wunder mic...there's about a $2500 difference in price, but it didn't translate into performance (at least in his mind)...

...a review of the AA CM-47 in Tape Op revealed similar results:
http://www.aamicrophones.com/pdfs/CM47.pdf

...of course, as always, YMMV...

***there's always been the quandry, "would you rather by the best product that one respectable company has to offer, or the least expensive offering from another more prestigious company, if money is not the issue?"...
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Guru

I'm sure the present economy comes into play in the equation.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm not sure the CM7-GT is selling used more than other high end gear. There's a lot of great gear for sale right now.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
it a good mic and worth its price
but not up to a really good u47 reissue
like the one andreas grosser builds.

if you listen at high levels
it does hum and hiss quite a bit
(even compared to a vintage 47)

except you are a collector and have plenty of waiting time
forget wunder audio support in europe.
For comparison, what does an Andreas Grosser mic cost?

Your characterization of the Wunder doesn't match my experience. I have two and they're very quiet, certainly quieter than the 47s I've had. As with anything which employs a tube, noise can be an issue, and the amount will vary.

They're stellar mics and I don't think there's anything about these FS listings, whether unusually abundant or not, that should make you cautious.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Just looking at the FS forum -- considering the number of these that have sold, I don't think it's an unusually high number by any means.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

@ Elambo

I sent 2 months ago a mail to Rita to get a quotation concerning a voxorama 47 ( the andrea grosser mic replica of hte U 47 )

She told me it was 5 950 euros ( VAT included and shipping from germany to Paris France )

Considered by many GS members as a true U 47 ( I mean in the same league more or less ) , I plan to buy one , Boris Carloff on this forum told me that this voxorama was fantastic and I truly believe him ( having private mails together ) and he was very kind to give me some infos and some stuff he recorded with !!!
truly class and stunning sound , my phoenix audio DRS 2 will be a great partner to him
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the reverend View Post
i love mine, i'd sell every other mic i own before i sold this wonderful mic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
I'm sure the present economy comes into play in the equation.

+1 and +1
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear
Well, if you've ever had the time to work with a "magical" original VF14 U47 then you'd quickly come to the conclusion that the CM7-gt aint no U47 for sure

I've been thru most of the supposed U47 type mics out there today: Lawson L47mp, Pearlman TM1, Cm7-gt, and Soundelux e47. All I can tell you is that none of them are even remotely close IMHO, and I'm a vocalist with personal experience on a real U47. The CM7-gt was actually the least close to a U47 out of all 4 of those mics.

Whenever I get a new 47 type mic I set it up in the same exact spot in my room, same gear chain, and same converters that I tracked takes with my friend's real U47. So I am DEFINITELY comparing apples to apples! The 4 mics I mentioned above are decent, but nowhere near as big, bold, and lush sounding as that real U47 on my voice.

Now the CM7, that may very well be alot closer but is also ALOT more expensive than the gt.

I've got a Beesneez T1 one the way (which has pretty much the same components as the real CM7 and FLEA 47); so I'll let you know what I think of it once I can test it out.

I'm pretty jaded at this point TBH with supposed U47 clones.

So far my CMV563 beats the living crap out of all 4 of those mics I mentioned above, and sounds WAY closer to my friend's U47 than any of them !!!

But still, no cigar for sure.

Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear
Sup "arse" how are ya!

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

I don't understand buying a mic that isn't what you want. If you want a U47 buy one. It may take you a little longer but why short change yourself? I own an CM7-gt and love it. In the price range it is in there are a lot of good options and this one sounds bad ass to me. Don't buy a wunder cm7-gt because you want a U47. Buy it because it has its own sound and you enjoy it. If you can't get a nice thick present vocal out of a CM7-gt its not the mic's fault.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

very modern sounding to me... sounds good at first, then my ears wanted something else... didn't buy it... use an old 87... very happy...
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear
Exactly what he said...I have owned the CM7-GT M7&k47 as well as the CM7. I could never get one that I liked enough to keep. I felt like there was a bite in the 1-4khz range that was VERY uncharacteristic of a real 47. And once you got a capsule (I tried literally 7 of them) with the right pF mumbo jumbo to take out the bite, there was no top end.

Now - your mileage might vary. I know there are plenty of happy Wunder owners out there. Believe me, I tried...It's just so damn pretty...

I've gone through a ton of mics and I absolutely love the Miktek CV4. It's certainly more of a modern take than a U47 - probably more 87 - but it's the bomb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage691 View Post
Well, if you've ever had the time to work with a "magical" original VF14 U47 then you'd quickly come to the conclusion that the CM7-gt aint no U47 for sure

I've been thru most of the supposed U47 type mics out there today: Lawson L47mp, Pearlman TM1, Cm7-gt, and Soundelux e47. All I can tell you is that none of them are even remotely close IMHO, and I'm a vocalist with personal experience on a real U47. The CM7-gt was actually the least close to a U47 out of all 4 of those mics.

Whenever I get a new 47 type mic I set it up in the same exact spot in my room, same gear chain, and same converters that I tracked takes with my friend's real U47. So I am DEFINITELY comparing apples to apples! The 4 mics I mentioned above are decent, but nowhere near as big, bold, and lush sounding as that real U47 on my voice.

Now the CM7, that may very well be alot closer but is also ALOT more expensive than the gt.

I've got a Beesneez T1 one the way (which has pretty much the same components as the real CM7 and FLEA 47); so I'll let you know what I think of it once I can test it out.

I'm pretty jaded at this point TBH with supposed U47 clones.

So far my CMV563 beats the living crap out of all 4 of those mics I mentioned above, and sounds WAY closer to my friend's U47 than any of them !!!

But still, no cigar for sure.

Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear
That's interesting. JohnKenn I thought you sounded best through the Wunder GT K47 on your track "Once A Year". It gave your voice a little country baritone twaNg that I thought had a throw back vibe. Made you sound like an old school country icon.

I've heard that same sound out of that K47 capsule on several other singers and I like its signature better than the M7 capsule. If I buy the Wunder that's the one I'm after. I have a U87ai but I find it really flat and missing that little wild hair of character I'm seeking.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotonic View Post
That's interesting. JohnKenn I thought you sounded best through the Wunder GT K47 on your track "Once A Year".
I had no idea what the song was titled, but I remember hearing it and I was left with the same impression. It helps prove that people have different expectations.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage691 View Post
I had two VF14 U47s for years and knew them intimately. They had a history and were known as very good specimens. We A/B'd a CM7 against both and came to the conclusion that the CM7 was NOT a 47, echoing what I said previously that no clone is truly a clone, but that it came frighteningly close.

I then compared my personal CM7-GT to my studio's CM7 and felt that they sound very close. No, not the same, but, again, the GT is one of the best U47-style mics in its price category, and in fact still the best I've heard for that cash. It's less than 1/3rd the price of an original 47.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear
Yeah - you're right - it made me sound more nasally...which I personally didn't care for. The really killer 47's I've used were more open - along with that velvety mid-range.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy Leloup View Post
@ Elambo

I sent 2 months ago a mail to Rita to get a quotation concerning a voxorama 47 ( the andrea grosser mic replica of hte U 47 )

She told me it was 5 950 euros ( VAT included and shipping from germany to Paris France )
That's very expensive. A friend of mine got one for much less, I think. BTW, I'm not sure there's a consensus on gearslutz that this is a true 47 clone. I mean, for the most part he's using a FET device instead of a tube.

Not that it's a bad mic, but it has its own sound just like any other mic.

-R
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
I had two VF14 U47s for years and knew them intimately. They had a history and were known as very good specimens. We A/B'd a CM7 against both and came to the conclusion that the CM7 was NOT a 47, echoing what I said previously that no clone is truly a clone, but that it came frighteningly close.

I then compared my personal CM7-GT to my studio's CM7 and felt that they sound very close. No, not the same, but, again, the GT is one of the best U47-style mics in its price category, and in fact still the best I've heard for that cash. It's less than 1/3rd the price of an original 47.

Well, maybe my friend's "magical" 47 is broken then ? He's told me personally that they all sound different, and this one is the best he has ever heard. And trust me, this dude has heard many in his time.

When I look at the soundwave for those tracks we cut with that 47 (no compression) it looks like the TJ mastered soundwave for Death Magnetic on the parts where I get louder; just one big fat square looking wave, and seems to have an RMS of -2dbfs.

But it sounds perfectly natural, big, bold, fat, lush and with no sibilance yet everything is crystal clear. It's as if the mic has a compressor made by god himself inside of it, something that defies the laws of physics.

And you can tuck it WAY down in an absurdly dense mix, yet still hear every last detail of the voice cystal clear. And then you can crank it WAY up and it still sounds lush and doesn't hurt your ears at all. And all this with no EQ, comp or de-essing of any kind.

Like I said, maybe it's broken or maybe there's a little fairy from the 5th dimension living inside of it heh

Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yes, most of us are aware that U47s are good mics, used on several recordings.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

LMAO if you cant kick ass with a CM7 GT in front of you just keep that midi going and keep recording until you get that perfect take ffs lol.
Old 5th September 2011
AB3
Lives for gear

I heard that the CM7 in 50 years will sound amazing.

Let's hear some audio samples between a great vintage 47,an AA mic, a Wunder CM7, etc. and see how many people know which is which.

I just don't buy all this 47 stuff. There are plenty of great mics out there. Why anything has to sound like a 47 is beyond me. I think this forum gets stuck on certain things - the 47 (which one by the way?) - the 1073, the KM84, etc. - as if there are not plenty of things that make great sounds without these three tools.

Yes, there is some bite in my CM7 - I use an A Designs Hammer to take care of it. I think I am still thousands of dollars ahead of buying an authentic 47 -of which I understand that virtually no two of them sound alike anymore. And in any event, it is likely that I would want the add the Hammer eq anyway!

A whole chain needs to be considered starting with the singer.

As to the GT - I have not tried it - but in theory - I do not see why a glass tube cannot make for a great mic - I have tried plenty of mics with EF86 tubes that sound great.

And as far as JohnKenn goes - I think he would sound great through a radio shack mic. I would give a toe on each foot in trade for his voice. And I also agree that he sounded great on the samples I heard. It is hard to judge your own voice. But if he like the Miktek better than the CM7 on his voice, and that makes him happy, I am happy. Afterall his voice is great enough that it is great on either of those mics.

Ok - end of semi-rant.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

^ Dam straight are you kidding me. These mics are so special, get strengthening those pipes singers.
Old 23rd February 2012
REX
Gear Maniac

I've seen seven of these for sale in last few weeks.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search