The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Going beyond 0dB on Aurora's Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Going beyond 0dB on Aurora's

So I'm tracking a synth for a song I'm working on and I'm finding that I'm getting a great sound as I go WAY beyond 0dB on the converters. I assume that isn't a good thing to do to them but I'm curious if anyone ever uses that as an effect. And will it actually damage them? What about damaging any components on my API 3124?

Hopefully I get some thoughts on this before I start seeing smoke.

Andrew
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Screw it... I'm not going there anymore... it's totally unnecessary.

Thoughts are still appreciated though.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Not sure about the converters, but you can smash the inputs of the API until the cows come home . API pres really come into light when they're breaking up.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew montreal View Post
So I'm tracking a synth for a song I'm working on and I'm finding that I'm getting a great sound as I go WAY beyond 0dB on the converters. I assume that isn't a good thing to do to them but I'm curious if anyone ever uses that as an effect. And will it actually damage them? What about damaging any components on my API 3124?

Hopefully I get some thoughts on this before I start seeing smoke.

Andrew
Used to own an Aurora. Going beyond 0dbfs (I'm assuming you mean 0dbfs?) will not 'damage' the converters. You're just going to get some extra crunchy distortion... whether that works for your production is an aesthetic choice.
Old 2nd September 2011
I can't imagine that this should damage your gear. Though I'm not an electronics pro. Maybe if you did for one year 7X24 without a pause
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

I wonder this sometimes.. about all things (like driving delay inputs, etc.)

Clipping at its most extreme behaves like DC (more like square wave, which is alternative DC kind of). I know this can destroy speakers, but can't see any reason why it should destroy analogue components

I'm not sure how much transformers would like DC though
Old 2nd September 2011
RiF
Lives for gear

I guess, the Aurora's have some limiting circuits built in to prevent any digital overs. This may or may not sound good. But in any case, you should know what you're doing.
And no, driving gear hard will not destroy anything (except your speakers, like Lee Cardan said).
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search