The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best 500 Series Eq? 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Maniac
Best 500 Series Eq?

Im looking for a good quality 500 series EQ, any suggestions?
Also any cool DYI Eq's available?

I have a Vintech 473x, and a Soundcraft 6000, the Soundcraft is pretty cool
but I think I could use a better eq... any idea?

Thanks everybody for your opinion..
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubercraft View Post
Im looking for a good quality 500 series EQ, any suggestions?
Also any cool DYI Eq's available?
There are a zillion, they're all good, and all different. I think you'll need to be more specific about what you want your EQ to do before any informed advice can be given. Otherwise you'll just get a bunch of "use the search function" responses.
Old 2nd September 2011
Whuduya plan on using it for? Surgery? Tone-shaping? All-purpose? Any particular instruments or musical styles? What kind of gear do you already have to pair with it?
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

I like the Great River Harrison EQ32
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

I'd let Jim Williams mod that Soundcraft 6000, will be a great EQ after his mod..He knows the soundcraft series quite a bit.. heh

The 500 series EQ I like the best is not made anymore: Avedis E27, but you could look in the used market, sometimes they pop up..

Other EQ to consider: the new Tonelux EQP5 is nice and in a totally different way of course the Electrodyne 511 sounds incredible, you can't stop boosting! LOL! heh

just my 0.02$,

Bests,

Cheu
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Nut

I recently tested out a 550a, Chandler little devil eq, and a Harrison 32eq.
I own a BAE 1073 already, and found the 550a and little devil to be more of a mojo type eq similar to the 1073. Being less detailed eq's, neither are great for problematic frequencies, but both seem to impart a vibe that sits nicely in a mix.

The 550a seemed to be easy to find a nice tone with, but probably the most blunt of the 3. Very impressive though.

The little devil adds some hi and low to it automatically, which in turn boosts the signal several db.. It has a nice sparkle to it, and I found it to be the most similar to the 1073 eq. It has a nice vibe to it, and is a bit more detailed than the 1073 or the 550a, but not necessarily surgical if need be.

The great river is not as much of a vibe eq than it is a surgical eq. It has more bands than all of the above, and also has hi and low pass filters that are separate from the eq section. Although it is the least mojo type eq of the 4, it still has a sound, and I found it to make vocals cut nicely with a certain meat to them unique to the others.

I ended up keeping the Harrison 32eq, as I already have a "vibe" eq with the BAE 1073, and the 32eq for surgery if need be.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Little Devil/EQ32/Avedis E27

The Little Devil is like supple polished thick leather, gives a nice thick thwack with sting when applied to skins- but is rather broad in width.

The EQ32 is like a silk cloth- great to remove ugly blemishes from dark brass down low- but really excells on polishing and smoothing fine crystal hanging up in the highs of the chandeliers, and gives a nice sheen with sparkle.

The Avedis E27 is a 100 carat diamond prism, any signal going through it is like a ray of sunlight going through the diamond prism- ends up slightly larger, more detailed and enriched- while loosing nothing in terms of detail and the edges of the rays (transients)- which are sharply preserved.

Take your pick - all great- attached photos to help you decide if you are more of a visual guy.

GJ
Newcastle/Oz
Attached Thumbnails
Best 500 Series Eq?-100_2838.jpg  
Old 2nd September 2011
Jai guru deva om

I would take a serious listen to the Cartec Fe-Q5, Harrison 32EQ, Tonelux EQ5P, Maag EQ4, LaChapell and A Designs units too. They all do such different things!
Old 2nd September 2011
On the 6k, change R29/R30 to 3.32k and the hi mids sweep to 22k hz. Change R33/34 to 3.32k and C19 to .047 uf, C20 to .022 uf and the low mids will sweep down to 50 hz. Change C21 to .15 uf and C16 to .0027 uf for 12k hi shelf and 60 hz low shelf.

Now THAT's an equalizer!
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
I would take a serious listen to the Cartec Fe-Q5, Harrison 32EQ, Tonelux EQ5P, Maag EQ4, LaChapell and A Designs units too. They all do such different things!
Ahhh...those Cartec's. I saw you have them on your site now. GAS inducing product. It would be more on the "mojo" side I suppose, but still useful with the filter.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Take your pick - all great- attached photos to help you decide if you are more of a visual guy.z
I guess I'm a visual guy... my first thought was why don't you have all 4 of your Little Devils mounted next to each other?!?!

I love the LD... once asked wade why he bothered putting a bypass switch on it as it makes me sad to take it out of the circuit heh
Old 2nd September 2011
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmuck View Post
Ahhh...those Cartec's. I saw you have them on your site now. GAS inducing product. It would be more on the "mojo" side I suppose, but still useful with the filter.
Actually, look at the midrange control...as well as the hi-pass! It can do more than subtle mojo (both really...).

War
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
The Little Devil is like supple polished thick leather, gives a nice thick thwack with sting when applied to skins- but is rather broad in width.

The EQ32 is like a silk cloth- great to remove ugly blemishes from dark brass down low- but really excells on polishing and smoothing fine crystal hanging up in the highs of the chandeliers, and gives a nice sheen with sparkle.

The Avedis E27 is a 100 carat diamond prism, any signal going through it is like a ray of sunlight going through the diamond prism- ends up slightly larger, more detailed and enriched- while loosing nothing in terms of detail and the edges of the rays (transients)- which are sharply preserved.

Take your pick - all great- attached photos to help you decide if you are more of a visual guy.

GJ
Newcastle/Oz
Gotta love those mohogs! I know I love mine! Bac500s too! Nice setup
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Guru

I love the API eq vibe. I have tried others and just didn't fit my taste.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Nut

I'm surprised no one mentionned the new AMS Neve 1073 yet.

I haven't heard it but the I tested the 1073 LB and it is excellent. So I assume the EQ must be very similar to its big brother.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
On the 6k, change R29/R30 to 3.32k and the hi mids sweep to 22k hz. Change R33/34 to 3.32k and C19 to .047 uf, C20 to .022 uf and the low mids will sweep down to 50 hz. Change C21 to .15 uf and C16 to .0027 uf for 12k hi shelf and 60 hz low shelf.

Now THAT's an equalizer!
Hey Jim,
Are you thinking to do an EQ for the 500 series, 4 band parametric EQ, kinda like (soundwise) your Soundcraft Delta modded EQ's?
I don't know if there's enough space for doing it though?
Just a suggestion.. I'll be the first in line to buy it heh

Take care,

Bests,

Cheu
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
I guess I'm a visual guy... my first thought was why don't you have all 4 of your Little Devils mounted next to each other?!?!

I love the LD... once asked wade why he bothered putting a bypass switch on it as it makes me sad to take it out of the circuit heh

Hey superwack- I also love the LD-amazing largeness for such a small unit.

Yeah- I tried to get the 4 Little Devils to play together- but they fought and the referee BAE 11 slotter gave up the refereeing as with 4 LDs and 7 other toddlers the ref threw in the towel.

So I had to seperate the little buggers and got a revolver to sort out 2 of the LD sods.

BlueROom: "Gotta love those mohogs! I know I love mine! Bac500s too! Nice setup"

Thanks BLueROom, yeah I love the mohogs and the BACs- I really feel I have the FET element covered with those two.

GJ
Newcastle/OZ

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search