The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A lunchbox advice 500 Series Dynamics
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Nut

A lunchbox advice

So finally have some loot to get a lunchbox and since you can get a 6 slot Api lunch box for free with purchasing four modules, well seems the way to go.

I need an advice as to which modules to go with

Just a quick not of what little gear I have when it comes to compressors and pre's

a&h zed r16 (the only outboard EQ I have)
Focusrite ISA on
UA LA610mkII
Fireface 800
Overstayer FET stereo compressor (only outboard one)

Basically I thought maybe a comp, eq and two pre's might be a way to start. I'm open to all suggestions

Here are some modules I considered

Elysia xpressor 500 compressor
API 512C

So what do you think?
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Nut

Should have I posted this in the low end theory?
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

I guess High End is fine for lunchbox-stuff...

but I don't know how anybody could help you if you don't give a little info about what you plan to do with it!

tracking, mixing, single sources, busses....

would it be useful for you if you got pairs of the stuff for stereo tracking/mixing?
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Nut

Point taken should have given more info

I want to have more options outside the box. I like the pre ams I have now but I want to add more flavor and options. Same for the compressor

I don't know if it is possible to have a workhorse eq inside the lunchbox but that would be nice.

Either way I would probobly look at 3 pres and a comp or 2 pres comp and eq.

The elysias xpressor 500 sounds really nice to me and being stereo would work for many sources.

As far as the pres I just want single high end pres that I did not have a chance to work with so far.
Wether that be api, neve, chandler or whatever else

So mixing, tracking thats about it. Pres would be used on anything from vocals to tracking drums. I would like to start with single ones and then based on which ones I like make them stereo.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Nut

where can you get a 6 slot lunchbox for free with 4 modules? Is this a US only promotion?
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Nut

Yes there are a couple of places now but I looked at vintage king.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

in europe digitalaudioservice also has such a promotion in the moment...

yes the elysia looks nice, I also want one... great value for the money too, flexible and clean enough to be used on many/most sources.

as a first eq something versatile would be a good choice IMHO. for example the gr harrison eq or 550b.

you can add high quality api-style preamps cheap if you have decent solder kits: Classic Audio Products of Illinois
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

I suggest you ask the people who are selling the gear. It really is sort of arbitrary since you don't have any specific requirements and there is pretty much not a bad piece of 500 series gear of any type offered by Vintage King.

The guy that recently asked this got some decent responses: How to fill API lunchbox?
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Nut

Thanks msquared, I cant believe I missed that post, it's pretty much what I need except I do spoken word and rap vocals sometime.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search