The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor Alternative Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Maniac

Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor Alternative

Mastering Compressor great device. What alternatives are at it?
Transparent, musicality, character on mid range and open hi-end it's my request.

I sold Api, ssl type compressor, pare crane song tracker. This units not for me mix bus.
I like tube vari mu types but not universal for mix bus section.
Old 1st September 2011
The new Buzz SOC 20 (with built in mid side option) would be something good to consider. It's got similar electronics to their Essence (but stereo/dual mono) with some additional features, and it fits in the transparent, musical criteria (class A discrete with Lundahl transformer ins/outs).
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Maniac

Optical type not for fast music styles :(
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

These days some good optocouples has rise time as 5 msec, release 10 msec.
For comparison, original T4 module in LA2 has rise time as 10 msec.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Addict

Neve 33609 --> pair of LA3As.

Reverse order if you wish.

Not the same but close. By close I mean sort of kind of close. Same 'idea'.
Old 1st September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainTime View Post
Two huge differences: It's an LED optical (not T4) and has Tim Farrant's unique differential drive side chain, so it's not the same thing or even close to something like a vintage opto (other than it being musical and capable of being natural sounding) and is very applicable for faster applications. Look up Buzz SOC 1.1 or Buzz Essence, lots of people using them around here and they react in a similar way since opto type and designer is same.

SOC-20 Class A Stereo Optical Compressor - Buzz Audio
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Maniac

I using Pendulum OCL-2 on mix bus, this opto character not for dance music. For jazz, acoustic music great.
SHMC not only opto compressor. Solid state part more interesting and universal for mix bus.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Guru

Get the SH 500 series vandergraph
if I didn't already have the mastering comp I'd get that one.
way cheaper and sounds really good.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Maniac

My fav units for this task are:

GML 2030, hyper-transparent, it can be so punchy you won't believe it in hardknee mode and soft'n'nice in softknee mode

the ability to manipulate the peak/fast/slow aspect of the sound is so flexible !

QES Labs Variable-Gm tube compressor-limiter,
it has a lot of character, still retaining transparency. Stereo imaging and 3-D depth are amazing.
It's a custom order build, so you can choose to add some option (Wet/Dry control for 'parallel compression', M/S Matrix, etc.)

Hope it helps.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Elysia alpha compressor?
I remember we used two 1176, pretty nice results.. but it's highly dependent on your taste and the genre you're mixing..

you could achieve great results with every piece recommended here.. it's really a matter of taste in the end..

just my 0.02$,

Bests,

Cheu
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Maniac

Mates, GML 2030 and Elysia alpha super devices but very expensive for me. My budget $6k maximum.
I use 2-1176 on 2bus in bypass mode for good mid range tone and depth
Old 1st September 2011
Quote:
Transparent, musicality, character on mid range and open hi-end it's my request.
The DW Fearn VT7 has a transparent gain reduction quality, that is smooth and not grainy sounding. It uses a solid state PWM compression cell for clean control of gain reduction that seems to lose very little top end to my ear. It has a glassy smoothing effect that can make things denser, while they are squished they don't sound bad or not clear when they are leveled out. The Amplifiers are extremely rich sounding. I would suggest the top end is brillant on Doug's boxes.
Old 1st September 2011
Foote FCS Mastering Edition and Maselec MLA2 would be my suggestion. Flexible VCA and super clean opto.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

I agree with roundbadge about the vandergraph.

Also, The mastering version of the Thermionic Phoenix is one of the best compressors I've used across a mix. That and the Shadow Hills MC are two of my most used. I use them together a lot as well.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Addict

Look if you want the SHMC vibe you either get the SHMC or a 500 series Shadow Hills Dual Vandergraph and two Shadow Hills 500 series Mono Optographs, plus a 6-module 500-series rack. The latter option will take you around your $6k budget.

And really searching hard for a SHMC will also take you around your $6k budget, a little more than the 500 series option.

Call Shadow Hills.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear
Without any doubt the incredible Rockruepel Comp One
Old 2nd September 2011
Quote:
Mates, GML 2030 and Elysia alpha super devices but very expensive for me. My budget $6k maximum.
I use 2-1176 on 2bus in bypass mode for good mid range tone and depth
Elysia xpressor 500 and 2 apa leviathans (your welcome Nathan) The Leviathans get very fast for on opto and unlike most have full attack, release, ratio controls and can be stereo linked. Xpressor has tons of options for stereo buss like mix amount and sidechain filter. Leviathans are goin for $200 less than i paid a few months ago at $800 right now. the combo would cost you $2600 without the lunchbox and control and functionality amazing. I also think having your opto and vca compressor having seperate i/o is much more useful at mixdown.

Ive been running my running my slate dragon into the leviathan for vocals and its sounding great.

On the higher end tip you could swap out the xpressor for a cranesong stc-8. I own one and it is killer. The color mode on that thing is just enough. Really though I don't think its nesassary to run that one through an opto after, it's really, really smooth and has an auto attack that can catch faster transients.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by recorder2 View Post
Look if you want the SHMC vibe you either get the SHMC or a 500 series Shadow Hills Dual Vandergraph and two Shadow Hills 500 series Mono Optographs, plus a 6-module 500-series rack. The latter option will take you around your $6k budget.

And really searching hard for a SHMC will also take you around your $6k budget, a little more than the 500 series option.

Call Shadow Hills.
theres this deal on:

Shadow Hills Mix Pack | VintageKing.com

so check that out.

i have the dual optograph and love it. lusting after a vandergraph pretty bad
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by priko View Post
Without any doubt the incredible Rockruepel Comp One
I saw this thing a couple of years ago in Frankfurt, pretty cool unit!
Also there's the Elysia Mpressor which is great or the new Elysia Xpressor 19"..
If I were you I'll wait 'til the AES show to decide, maybe there's something new coming out.. heh

Bests,

Cheu
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Maniac

I really like what the Mastering Compressor does to the "Rock mix" over at VintageKings listening site. Both full and tight low down, while staying airy and present on top. Really nice imaging as well.

How close would the Vandergraph come?

VintageKing guys, please put up a sample of the Vandergraph as well.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Dual Vandergraph has uncontrollable attack and release:( It is a light version of Mastering Compressor.
Old 24th September 2011
Gear Addict

The Buzz SOC is plenty fast enough for 2Buss and sounds amazing. Try it before you make assumptions

Given your criteria I'd also suggest a Red3 with Alan Smart sidechain cables
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

2cd for the Foote P3S ME.....

Best all around comp for program in my opinion.
Gonna have to get one of those ROCKGRUPPEL things now!
Old 7th October 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4blades View Post
QES Labs Variable-Gm tube compressor-limiter,
sounds sweet!
Old 23rd March 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
I like tube vari mu types but not universal for mix bus section.
I would choose a tube vari-mu as well.
Old 7th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Get the SH 500 series vandergraph
if I didn't already have the mastering comp I'd get that one.
way cheaper and sounds really good.
Hey Roundbadge. Do you still stand by this statement? Besides on the mix bus, what other uses have you found for the SHMC?
Old 7th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloocproducer View Post
Foote FCS Mastering Edition Flexible VCA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomatic View Post
2cd for the Foote P3S ME.....

Best all around comp for program in my opinion.
+3 on the Foote P3S ME, I hadn't had a chance to try it out at the time back in Sept but it's a huge but natural sounding unit with a ton of features that make it one of the most flexible units I've ever seen.
Old 7th February 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Trask View Post
Hey Roundbadge. Do you still stand by this statement? Besides on the mix bus, what other uses have you found for the SHMC?
yes.although to my ears the MC sounds a tad beefier than the 500 versions.use it on anything stereo when tracking.
almost always drum overheads[1-2db reduction max] or room mics,piano,anything stereo.
then of course mix buss:haven't found anything I prefer for sound and flexibilty.
lots of sonic options.love it.
Old 7th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
yes.although to my ears the MC sounds a tad beefier than the 500 versions.use it on anything stereo when tracking.
almost always drum overheads[1-2db reduction max] or room mics,piano,anything stereo.
then of course mix buss:haven't found anything I prefer for sound and flexibilty.
lots of sonic options.love it.
Cool. Thanks. I have a store credit over at VK for a Wunder Audio 67-thingy and need to figure out whether to wait for a job and buy the mastering compressor or just get a new lunchbox and the two extra SH devices. I'm not usually looking for beef (not in my tracks, anyhow), although I don't object to it. I have a couple of RI 176s coming any day now so they can be beefy for me. More often than not what I feel is missing in my ITB mixes is air and dimensionality.

On the other hand, i like to capture a hefty sound when tracking. My take away, I think, is that there are no bad choices here and I should do what feels comfortable financially and have no buyer's remorse.
Old 7th February 2013
7+1
Lives for gear

Quote:
id definitely not agree with this..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search