The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor Alternative Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 7th February 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Trask View Post
Cool. Thanks. I have a store credit over at VK for a Wunder Audio 67-thingy and need to figure out whether to wait for a job and buy the mastering compressor or just get a new lunchbox and the two extra SH devices. I'm not usually looking for beef (not in my tracks, anyhow), although I don't object to it. I have a couple of RI 176s coming any day now so they can be beefy for me. More often than not what I feel is missing in my ITB mixes is air and dimensionality.

On the other hand, i like to capture a hefty sound when tracking. My take away, I think, is that there are no bad choices here and I should do what feels comfortable financially and have no buyer's remorse.
Did you dislike the cm67?
Old 8th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Did you dislike the cm67?
Our protagonist, singing to his microphone:
"Goodbye's too good a word, babe
So I'll just say fare thee well."

My mom always told me if you don't have anything nice to say quote a Dylan song.
Old 8th February 2013
Gear Guru

Yikes.
I was thinking of a demo
Pm me with the details if you can
Old 8th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Yikes.
I was thinking of a demo
Pm me with the details if you can
Sent.
Old 9th February 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Our protagonist, singing to his microphone:
"Goodbye's too good a word, babe
So I'll just say fare thee well."

My mom always told me if you don't have anything nice to say quote a Dylan song.
I absolutely love your work Stephen.

Lodging a vote here for the dual channel Atomic Squeezbox. Powerful intelligent shaping. Great compressor.
Old 9th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadscotch View Post
I absolutely love your work Stephen.

Lodging a vote here for the dual channel Atomic Squeezbox. Powerful intelligent shaping. Great compressor.
Thanks, man. That means a lot. And thanks for the recommendation. I'll check that one out. Is it versatile enough that you find yourself using it during tracking or is it really at it's best as a 2-bus compressor?
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

I'm not familiar with the Shadow Hills unit, however I know that it incorporates an opto compressor and a VCA compressor. So my vote for an alternative would be to put two comps in series, your favorite VCA and your favorite optical compressor and Voila! there you go. Would probably occupy less rack space as well.
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

I´d rather have a Vertigo VSC-2 & a Buzz SOC-20 than the SHMC...
Old 11th February 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks, man. That means a lot. And thanks for the recommendation. I'll check that one out. Is it versatile enough that you find yourself using it during tracking or is it really at it's best as a 2-bus compressor?
I mean, if I'm going to commit to something while tracking, I want it to impart tone, which it does not. But when going on dynamics adventures on the 2-buss, it just absolutely kills it.

I still listen to Hedwig every few months. Your savages score was really great too.
Old 21st February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadscotch View Post
I still listen to Hedwig every few months. Your savages score was really great too.
I just saw this. thanks, again.
Old 21st February 2013
Gear Addict

I got the Shadow Hills MC, the D.W.Fearn VT-7 and a Retro Instruments 176.

As someone has mentioned earlier, the VT-7 is a unique stereo compressor. The SHMC could be "too much" for me sometimes (if you own one you'll know what I mean), and that's when I'll turn to the VT-7. It's got this "neutral agressiveness" I don't know if there's a better word for (not a native English speaker here).

As for the Retro 176, I'm very interested with what a matched pair could do on the mix bus. It's not as "fast" as the SHMC and VT-7, but it's got this beautiful sound that the two could not match.

BTW, the three are all "mastering class". I've got some other great compressors that I would NOT use on a mix bus. These three are that good.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search