The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best 8 channel mic pre (with color) under $3500 Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 17th October 2013
  #61
Baz
Lives for gear
 
Baz's Avatar
 

And of course the Aurora 8ch pre must be refreshed in this ancient thread
Old 18th October 2013
  #62
Lives for gear
 
herecomesyourman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
And of course the Aurora 8ch pre must be refreshed in this ancient thread
It's fantastic, but it's $5,000 it's way above the other choices in cost.
Old 18th October 2013
  #63
Gear Addict
 
barforama's Avatar
I would personally go for some different flavors instead of 8 identical channels. An API3124, 2 1073-style channels and perhaps a Great River MP2-NV or a 2 channel Elberg MP2 if you need ultraclean sometimes.
Old 18th October 2013
  #64
Lives for gear
 
nickelironsteel's Avatar
 

Or take the same pre and use different colours of analog outboard after that
Old 18th October 2013
  #65
Baz
Lives for gear
 
Baz's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourIV'sn View Post
It's fantastic, but it's $5,000 it's way above the other choices in cost.
Ah..pardon me..I missed the budget.

Well, 2 used Daking IV's is my choice with money left for a mic or TMP8 with change left over for a better mic...
Old 18th October 2013
  #66
Lives for gear
 
herecomesyourman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by barforama View Post
I would personally go for some different flavors instead of 8 identical channels. An API3124, 2 1073-style channels and perhaps a Great River MP2-NV or a 2 channel Elberg MP2 if you need ultraclean sometimes.
I love having different types as well...but any two of these and the budget is way overblown.

The good part about having 8 of the same is that things like drums will feel super cohesively and mix quickly.

The Phoenix really might be the best of the bunch for the money the more I think about it...it even has meters on every channel.
Old 18th October 2013
  #67
Gear Maniac
 
VIGUIER's Avatar
I love having the same preamps for drums rec... except on OV and Charley

I'd love to own the GTP8, as I already own a GTQ2, which I use on EVERYTHING except the drums ( my Soundcraft 3200 preamps are on it, and are really really good on this ).

Paul
Old 18th October 2013
  #68
Lives for gear
 
WinnyP's Avatar
Just saw a cranesong spider in the classifieds...
Old 18th October 2013
  #69
Lives for gear
 

Who was that clown who voted every single post in this thread down, and why?
I didn't read through all posts, but did someone get hurt in the process and now is savagely voting down every post for revenge?
Old 18th October 2013
  #70
Lives for gear
 
herecomesyourman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chk23 View Post
Who was that clown who voted every single post in this thread down, and why?
I didn't read through all posts, but did someone get hurt in the process and now is savagely voting down every post for revenge?
I dunno man...I think a lot of people abuse that feature. I don't think I've ever voted anything down. I'll like people's posts if they're really nice people, or if there's something smart there I think people shouldn't miss out on and it's well written, but taking the time to thumbs-down somebody seems a little petty to me under normal circumstances. You'd have to be a real jerk for me to even stop and spend time considering it.

I think sometimes with this forum you get people who don't bother to really READ what's being written. Maybe the inflections behind what's being typed get lost in translation and one person thinks the other is being condescending (while the other is just trying to be factual.) You get these teenage-level message board flame-wars sparking up for no reason other than reading comprehension is thrown out the window when someone fears their pride is at stake.

The end result is grown people acting like kids....

Or maybe someone's little kid got on the computer when their parents weren't looking and starting clicking everything. Same difference.

Since this board is so big even the mods make mistakes sometimes (The Foote thread about their flagship compressor is currently being treated like one big review in my review section for some reason...and a link to a review about a high end EQ I posted was moved redundantly the same way.) But I always kind of feel like bothering the mods when it's not something really necessary is wasting their time as well...no one's really making bank looking after this board, and we, it's "citizenry" should be smart enough to police ourselves a bit with some healthy restraint.
Old 18th October 2013
  #71
Lives for gear
 
NoEgo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chk23 View Post
Who was that clown who voted every single post in this thread down, and why?
I didn't read through all posts, but did someone get hurt in the process and now is savagely voting down every post for revenge?
Haha.. I didn't even know you could do that...and why really?

Anyway..I have the Daking IV Pres...yep ..and Vintech/Brent Averill and many others....I want a remote rig and don't want to bring a bunch of things out of my studio. .These are for my portable rig and the Phoenix DSR8 just showed up so it's showtime. I wanted a good and congruent assembly of pres. So that I can move around with jacks etc and still have the same sound.
Then I can put it through the racks when I get back for mixing.

I guess I kind of hijacked this forum a bit though...and I did apologize to the original poster but he made up his mind and probably won't chime in any more. I made up my mind now and ordered the Phoenix unit he did not for his reasons. If it means anything to anyone, with all the gear I have, the Phoenix and the Focusrite 8 pres are the two I came closest to.
Old 18th October 2013
  #72
Lives for gear
 
herecomesyourman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoEgo View Post
Haha.. I didn't even know you could do that...and why really?

Anyway..I have the Daking IV Pres...yep ..and Vintech/Brent Averill and many others....I want a remote rig and don't want to bring a bunch of things out of my studio. .These are for my portable rig and the Phoenix DSR8 just showed up so it's showtime. I wanted a good and congruent assembly of pres. So that I can move around with jacks etc and still have the same sound.
Then I can put it through the racks when I get back for mixing.
Hey are the pads on your Phoenix -15dB? I keep reading it's been changed to that, but in the photos of the unit I see -30dB (Honestly -15dB is WAY more useful for a lot of reasons, I was just wondering if you could shed some light on that since you just got it.)
Old 18th October 2013
  #73
Lives for gear
 
jdier's Avatar
 

All right, who is the jerk bumping 2 year old threads (just kidding)

I will just jump in for a second to pimp the SCA stuff. their stuff can be purchased prebuilt from SCA (or a guy in MN named codeman015) and it sounds beautiful.

I have never owned any API stuff but I really like the A12's from SCA. The N72's fill the void left when I had to part with my Great Rivers.

It took some time for me to get used to working without all the LED's and metering and insert points,, but once I did, I have been very happy.
Old 18th October 2013
  #74
Lives for gear
 
NoEgo's Avatar
"Hey are the pads on your Phoenix -15dB? I keep reading it's been changed to that, but in the photos of the unit I see -30dB (Honestly -15dB is WAY more useful for a lot of reasons, I was just wondering if you could shed some light on that since you just got it.)"






I haven't fired it up yet. I dunno to be honest.
What I do know is that they changed the HPF from 120 down to 80hz which at 120 I thought was too high and finding this out made my decision easier.

Just checked looks like...-15db set. On the new one.
Old 18th October 2013
  #75
Lives for gear
 
herecomesyourman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoEgo View Post
"Hey are the pads on your Phoenix -15dB? I keep reading it's been changed to that, but in the photos of the unit I see -30dB (Honestly -15dB is WAY more useful for a lot of reasons, I was just wondering if you could shed some light on that since you just got it.)"






I haven't fired it up yet. I dunno to be honest.
What I do know is that they changed the HPF from 120 down to 80hz which at 120 I thought was too high and finding this out made my decision easier.

Just checked looks like...-15db set. On the new one.


I've read some reviews of the Phoenix today where people say they're closer to an API in vibe than a Neve even though it's lead designer David Rees worked at Neve and created the 2254. What I think it's supposed to be is a middle ground kind of preamp in some respects, but what's funny is some bigger mix engineers who had their heyday in the 70's (Like Shelly Yakus who once said the following to me personally) never liked the pads on the old API's designs. -20dB or more always knocks the tone out of it and thins things out. However, Shelly when I worked for him used to jam Shure pads set to -15dB into API preamps to make them break up better without losing the tone. Something about the slope of that headroom was more "right" and full sounding at higher gain structures.

So when I read that the new MKII has all these great control options and a -15dB pad it feels interesting, like sonically it could be it's own thing, but building upon some very classic architecture in a great way.

Fletcher has stated in posts you can search up in GS that he feels the Phoenix pres are extremely complimentary to the Great River MP-NV style preamps...which is another thing to keep mind for future reference as well. I also know from speaking with him off the cuff a few times that he is a fan of Mr. Rees' work in general.

Congrats on your new purchase though! I'm excited to hear how you think they sound. =) (And thanks for replying so fast...I also agree that an 80Hz HPF is a better bet.)
Old 18th October 2013
  #76
Lives for gear
 
NoEgo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
I've read some reviews of the Phoenix today where people say they're closer to an API in vibe than a Neve even though it's lead designer David Rees worked at Neve and created the 2254. What I think it's supposed to be is a middle ground kind of preamp in some respects, but what's funny is some bigger mix engineers who had their heyday in the 70's (Like Shelly Yakus who once said the following to me personally) never liked the pads on the old API's designs. -20dB or more always knocks the tone out of it and thins things out. However, Shelly when I worked for him used to jam Shure pads set to -15dB into API preamps to make them break up better without losing the tone. Something about the slope of that headroom was more "right" and full sounding at higher gain structures.

So when I read that the new MKII has all these great control options and a -15dB pad it feels interesting, like sonically it could be it's own thing, but building upon some very classic architecture in a great way.

Fletcher has stated in posts you can search up in GS that he feels the Phoenix pres are extremely complimentary to the Great River MP-NV style preamps...which is another thing to keep mind for future reference as well. I also know from speaking with him off the cuff a few times that he is a fan of Mr. Rees' work in general.

Congrats on your new purchase though! I'm excited to hear how you think they sound. =) (And thanks for replying so fast...I also agree that an 80Hz HPF is a better bet.)
I think they are pretty clean from talking to people ...and they can warm up but not mask or fudge like an API or Neve sound (in a good way of course..I love mine) ...which I am familiar with and didn't want in the remote unit. The idea of going from clean to warm was what grabs me. All the same I/O spec though. All the same HPF and all the same pad. Yeah in a nutshell..it is versatile. I thought the Focusrite was all that with having trannies..maybe...like the sound of a Gordon..feathery..but was told otherwise...more like Milennia..which I did not want. They could be wrong...but I have a pair of Gordon too and they are amazing. 8 channels of that would also be cool. But a lot more money.
Now I am getting off topic haha....Gearslut that I am.
Old 19th October 2013
  #77
Lives for gear
 
herecomesyourman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoEgo View Post
I think they are pretty clean from talking to people ...and they can warm up but not mask or fudge like an API or Neve sound (in a good way of course..I love mine) ...which I am familiar with and didn't want in the remote unit. The idea of going from clean to warm was what grabs me. All the same I/O spec though. All the same HPF and all the same pad. Yeah in a nutshell..it is versatile. I thought the Focusrite was all that with having trannies..maybe...like the sound of a Gordon..feathery..but was told otherwise...more like Milennia..which I did not want. They could be wrong...but I have a pair of Gordon too and they are amazing. 8 channels of that would also be cool. But a lot more money.
Now I am getting off topic haha....Gearslut that I am.
The early generation one I tried once when it came out...and I remember liking it, but that it wasn't really a Neve kind of thing.

I didn't have much experience with API style products at the time, and I know that they swapped output transformers for the MKII to lower noise overall channel to channel in a small enclosure for the 8 channel unit...but from what I'm reading it's super versatile...metering, a really well thought out -15dB pad...a useful HPF...even if it's just it's own thing that's a lot for the money.
Old 19th October 2013
  #78
Lives for gear
 
SighBorg's Avatar
 

Most people even now are not fans of api on units like their 3124... i have shure pads pretty much fixed to my units.

Didnt know that they swapped transformers on the mk2 units. Some people didnt like the lack of top end presence/forwardness on their units... always thought it was the transformer, wonder if the new ones are more vibrant/forward sounding than the mk1s.
Old 19th October 2013
  #79
Lives for gear
 
NoEgo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
The early generation one I tried once when it came out...and I remember liking it, but that it wasn't really a Neve kind of thing.

I didn't have much experience with API style products at the time, and I know that they swapped output transformers for the MKII to lower noise overall channel to channel in a small enclosure for the 8 channel unit...but from what I'm reading it's super versatile...metering, a really well thought out -15dB pad...a useful HPF...even if it's just it's own thing that's a lot for the money.
Well although its too early to tell everything...I gotta say that this is a spectacular preamp..or 8 preamps. The Phoenix unit that is.
Honestly it is not a Neve sound which I concluded after seeing on Soundpure's vids....but Youtube is not the place to make a decision from.
It is kind of a clean tube sound. The only time it really bites is if you are driving the input all on. On clean it is already fat but not strongly coloured at all. On Medium it gets fatter a lot fatter and coloured. On pushing the input and drawing back the output it bit a little and was just crossing the distortion zone. Probably a great guitar amp setting. If you want lots of chocolate and danger.

The quality is really good. The noise is just not there. I just tried it in my control room and I have a faint fan noise on my IZ converters (just like the RADAR) but you can hear it ..its not the pre.

I really think one should try it. I have a lot of pres...you name it...these sound nothing like anything I have tried before. I did a silly vocal thing and Somewhere Over The Rainbow on a Lauten Atlantis in gentle mode. I can put up here. As long as I don't get a list of issues addressed . It is not level matched or any of that not edited and not processed ..the Atlantis to the Phoenix to Logic.....but it is all the same pre so who cares. ITs late...Sorry if I sound like a coyote with a broken heart...lol I will change this in coming days.
Attached Files

Phoenix.mp3 (3.69 MB, 667 views)

Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump