The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best 8 channel mic pre (with color) under $3500 Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ludovico View Post
I'm thinking, if you're not in a hurry to have all the pre's at once, building a lunchbox might not be cheaper in the end but certainly easier on the wallet if built slowly. Depending on how you see things...

I wonder, is Vintech going to make an 8 channel unit without the shelving EQ sections, similar to the phoenix and the GTP8, now that they've released the 573? Something like a Vintech 873 haha! That I would seriously consider as well!
Man, an 8 channel Vintech would be sick!

I'm hoping to start recording again in the next month, so that's why I'm hesitating on the lunchbox route. Hell, I'm even tempted with the Focusrite 828, but I hear it's not as good as the 428. Any thoughts on that? Thanks.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
i still own 3 of the ATi8MX2's - i use one of them everyday. have done 24 track remotes with these. and have had them go out for a couple records. you cannot go wrong. the pre's are based on the Paragon Console's. cannot say enough good things about them.

willing to sell one or two if you are interested. i really only need one at this time.

cheers

john
Right on! I'll probably be doing partial financing though through Long & McQuade, but thanks for the offer.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
Harrison Lineage is $2795 for a bunch of cool preamps

It's four vintages of mic pre's.

Oh my! That's a wicked concept. Anyone here own one or use one yet?
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
We are waiting on new stock now to figure out the exact value needed for the change, but in roughly two weeks or so we will be offering a ZenPro version of this unit with a pad value better suited to drum and other tracking needs. The 30dB is quite a large value and was originally intended for line level use of Phoenix DRS series units. The 8 channel unit however would see a lot of drum use and almost no line level use, therefore we are excited to be tweaking the units to offer stock and mod versions.

War
That's awesome! I'm sure that unit will sell well.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrygian View Post
Man, an 8 channel Vintech would be sick!
Yeah, and I can totally see this coming since the release of the 573. Put 8 of these in a box with power supply and there you go. It's all about the cost to manufacture vs profit...Only they can answer this.
Old 1st September 2011
Quote:
Yeah, and I can totally see this coming since the release of the 573. Put 8 of these in a box with power supply and there you go. It's all about the cost to manufacture vs profit...Only they can answer this.
I couldn't see it costing less than $5500-$6000. Just an educated guess.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Good stuff on the DIY btw! I couldn't see any pics but your description makes it sound very interesting!
Oh.. I think you should have to be logged in..
Btw.. Sorry for the derail, back to your thread..

Nathan is right 8 channel of Neve(-ish) preamps is not cheap..
But as somebody already wrote here, the ATI8mx2 pre are from the Paragon console, simply stellar live desk, no longer made unfortunately.

Ciao

Bests,

Cheu
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
Why? Explain please... Mr Tanner makes a great unit for 5000$, Phoenix for 3500$, so tell me why Vintech couldn't make one in between these two...
Old 2nd September 2011
Seventh Circle Audio with 8 N72`s assembled will cost you $4150...
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

CLM is no longer making these, but if you can find one used, jump on it. I love mine.

CLM Dynamics DB8000s 8-channel microphone pre-amplifier/limiter
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

One word....

DAV

Cleanish sound.

For 8 channels, you cannot go wrong.

I have the 8 channel DAV for cleanish ~~~, and Forssell for clean.

The DAV fits your price point.

The MP2S's, Neve 1073, SH GAMA's, Great River's, and Lachappell's for varying shades color. I also have the Mercury AM16's, and M72's for another shade of mojo.

I'd shoot you a sound file but the entire house is upside down with renovations and everything is dismantled and in boxes. I'll be up and running again by December! lol

Floors being sanded/varnished, bathrooms being redone, walls painted, kitchen being redone... etc....... Most of it done by me.... ergo December.

Cheers,

John
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

One o your best options is to buy either a radial workhorse, API rack or two lunchboxes, and 8 Classic API modules. If you buy the two luncboxes, you have a spare four spots for additional pres eqs maybe some stereo buss compressors
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hey guys!

Just wanted to report back that after much thought, I ended up coming back with an API 3124+. I know and love the API sound so I decided to finally grab this killer unit. Now I just need another 4 channels in my studio and I'll be happy for a bit. At this point I may go lunchbox route. I know I really want a Great River again. Lots of options out there but I am super happy about the API purchase.

Thanks everyone for the help and recommendations! Cheers!

Matt
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey guys!

Just wanted to report back that after much thought, I ended up coming back with an API 3124+. I know and love the API sound so I decided to finally grab this killer unit. Now I just need another 4 channels in my studio and I'll be happy for a bit. At this point I may go lunchbox route. I know I really want a Great River again. Lots of options out there but I am super happy about the API purchase.

Thanks everyone for the help and recommendations! Cheers!

Matt
You won't regret it. I got my 3124 particularly for drums, but the longer I have it, the more I turn to it. Today it will be handling piano...
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy View Post
You won't regret it. I got my 3124 particularly for drums, but the longer I have it, the more I turn to it. Today it will be handling piano...
Awesome! When I had my 512c's I used them on drums, bass and keyboards and was very happy with them. I'm even happier to have 4 channels of API now.

I think next step will either be a used Focusrite 428, or one or two channels of Great River and maybe some Daking's or Vintech's. As long as I have 10 high end pres in my home studio I'll be happy. I currently have a Pacifica and am thrilled with it. The rest of my pres are lower end.
Old 8th September 2011
Here for the gear

i'll go for Phoenix DRS-8.. luv it for drums!!! can't go wrong with it..

cheers,

severus
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by severus View Post

cheers,

severus
I seriously considered it but it would have been a special order, and I was itching to buy something that day while I was in Toronto.
Old 8th September 2011
Company Rep

Quote:
I seriously considered it but it would have been a special order, and I was itching to buy something that day while I was in Toronto.
Shame, you should have spoken to Studio Economik they could have gotten you a demo unit and the sale could still have gone through LMQ Toronto if you'd liked it, so you got your interest free credit, or failing that spoke to us here is in US to arrange it, never mind there's always next time !

[email protected]
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Surprised nobody has mentioned the Millenia HV-3D - it's an 8-ch pre, right in the budget at around 4k, and a great sounding pre. They do list it as Uncolored timbral accuracy at all dynamic levels, but 'colored' is such a relative term (in fact, to say that most people don't know what 'colored' is, would be the biggest understatement of the century), that I figured it was worth throwing it out as an option.

Cheers.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I'd save some money and get an ABI 3124 and a Nebe 4 banger. You need Nebe and ABI to make records prober!
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
Sorry, I don't want to challenge anybody but i'm still waiting for an explanation of your "educated" guess.

BTW, I asked Vintech directly if there was any plan for such a unit and received no answer. I also asked about a 500 series EQ for the 573. Just out of curiosity...cause I like to see new stuff
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavi View Post
Shame, you should have spoken to Studio Economik they could have gotten you a demo unit and the sale could still have gone through LMQ Toronto if you'd liked it, so you got your interest free credit, or failing that spoke to us here is in US to arrange it, never mind there's always next time !

[email protected]
Just wasn't in the cards my man. Accessibility was obviously a factor, and although I have a long-standing rapport and good relationship with Studio Economik, I also have the same at L&M. I would feel like a ****** going through Economik to test the unit, only to turn around and buy it elsewhere. I also have finance options at L&M.

At the end of the day I am very happy with my purchase. I wanted API's back in my setup eventually and that's what I ended up with.

All the best to your company. Cheers.

Matt
Old 9th September 2011
Quote:
Sorry, I don't want to challenge anybody but i'm still waiting for an explanation of your "educated" guess
It's based on what I know about manufacturing and what it costs to make things, in general - I'm not privy to Vintechs specific manufacturing costs. Comparing company A & B to C and saying C can do what A & B do just because A & B already have is arbitrary, there are a lot of factors involved beyond the obvious and hoped for. If Vintech comes out with an 8 channel unit for $4500 then that's great, and maybe it will happen and I could be wrong - it doesn't matter to me if I'm wrong or right.

$695/channel for the 573 was already an amazing deal. Stuffing 8 of those in a box with a psu doesn't automatically lower the overall build price 25% - 30% which is what you are hoping for. Right now the street price for 8 x 573s and an API 10 banger rack is just shy of $6400. That means that they would have to shave off a lot of something to knock $1900 off the street price for the same exact thing.

If they could come out with a $4500 8 channel box, and that helps Vintech become more successful and makes customers happy then its a big plus. But I don't see it happening unless they produce it in Asia which just getting involved in that is a dangerous double edged sword for a manufacturer. Vintech gear is 100% made in the US (I know the employees and have been going there for a decade) so I doubt and hope that never changes.
Old 9th September 2011
Company Rep

Quote:
Just wasn't in the cards my man. Accessibility was obviously a factor, and although I have a long-standing rapport and good relationship with Studio Economik, I also have the same at L&M. I would feel like a ****** going through Economik to test the unit, only to turn around and buy it elsewhere. I also have finance options at L&M.
Studio Economik/Systems Guinous is the distributor for Canada (L&M would buy the unit from them) so if you buy a unit from Economik or L&M then Economik makes a sale either way so they're happy, that's why they're often happy to loan units out in a situation like that.

[email protected]
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavi View Post
Studio Economik/Systems Guinous is the distributor for Canada (L&M would buy the unit from them) so if you buy a unit from Economik or L&M then Economik makes a sale either way so they're happy, that's why they're often happy to loan units out in a situation like that.

[email protected]
That's cool. Still wouldn't have resolved accessibility though. I had a planned trip to Toronto, as where I'm never in Montreal, and I wasn't looking to have anything shipped at my expense.

To be honest, your responses aren't exactly encouraging me to buy your product. Bottom line, as the customer, it's my choice, right? Not really up to you to say "well you could have done this" or "should have done that" in an effort to encourage/push YOUR product. I can appreciate you wanting to sell the product you believe in, but I think a better approach could have been taken. To me, your initial response questioned my decision making, with the seeming purpose of wanting to make me feel bad. I am quite happy with my API purchase, and I think most would agree I chose a quality product. With that said, I bid you good day.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

I am also looking for an array for remote recording. I am not looking for an interface. I have a studio. I have many pres...Manley, Buzz, Auroras, Brent Averill, Vintech, Forssell, Dacs, DW Fearn, LaChappelle, API, UA, and others...so I know the sound of all these....but for the remote feeding an SSL XDesk I was looking at using my Daking MicPreIV and getting either the Phoenix or the Focusrite units to round things out....

Mostly acoustic vocal recording, although drums and some elec guitars/bass will come into play for sure. Acoustic bands. Tracking..you know the drill.
API was on my list, but not for acoustic music. I find API great for many things but not this task. Unless drums come into play as I said.

Anyway.
The Phoenix was a great choice I thought for the clean/colour ability and the Dsub connector makes things clean as far as wiring goes. Same with the Focusrite. I have not heard either strangely enough. I deal with both LandM and Studio Economik as well. LandM for many many years. That is not an issue. They get lots of my business. lol

It looks as though the new Phoenix has a different HPF which I like. It was much too high before.

I am in Calgary, again a long ways from Quebec but if SE is willing to send it to try.
I am in. I will talk to them about the two pres.

Sorry to hijack your thread here Phrygian, it just didn't warrant starting another. I think Robin (Xavi) is a little passionate about the gear he sells and that is a good way to be if you are selling it. After all that is what he gets paid for. I am not offended so much.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey guys

I'm planning on purchasing some pre's this weekend and was thinking of getting back into the 500 series, but before I do that I'm considering just going with a nice 8 channel preamp instead. Any suggestions? I want something that can get colorful. Mostly recording rock and blues.

I was checking out some demo's of the Phoenix Audio DRS-8 and was quite impressed. Is there anything else I should be looking at? I hear the DAV is nice as well. Should I avoid the Focusrite ISA 828? Is the True Systems Precision 8 too clean for what I'm looking for?

I'm not looking for any DIY kits. Just wanna buy and plug in!

Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks.

Matt
You can have 8 channels of Seventh Circle Audio A12s (Hand-built API clones with extremely high quality components) for about $3,588.84 including shipping in the US.

That's $88.84 over your budget.

LINK TO: Seventh Circle Audio

The catch is there's no DI's on these pres...just Gain and a small trim pot...but that's probably the best deal around. You can also just buy the kits for cheaper and try to build them yourself.

If you'd rather go with Tube Pres you could also get TWO Sebatron VMP-4000e (Four Channel) Tube Mic pres for about $3,450

LINK TO: Sebatron VMP-4000e (These are actually really good all-purpose preamps for the money and really underrated.)

The next best bet I can name is the JDK Audio 8MX2 JDK is an offshoot company of API itself which uses other schematic designs that are currently owned by API. I believe the ATI Paragon II console is where the preamp design in this unit comes from. (That's a pretty famous live sound desk.) It's also an 8 channel line mixer with DI's and 8 VCA hard limiters (Brick wall compressors)

LINK TO: JDK Audio

So with the JDK 8MX2 it's literally IMPOSSIBLE to clip things if you're setting your gain and limiter sections up right channel to channel.

I believe it's somewhere in the $2,750 range if you Google it. They're cleaner sounding but not without a vibe.

You could also buy four FMR RNP's for $1,900 and get a couple rack trays for them for $70. Also cleaner...also not vibe-less. Easy to expand upon with their three different compressors (RNC, RNLA, and PBC-6a. Great designs.)

But the 7th Circle A12s is probably the best bet in town.
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Head

I too would advocate for the seventh circle n72 or a12s. I own pres by Avalon, UA and several by Chandler. The seventh circle stuff is definitely in that league. Just listen to Joe Henry's last few records.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by severus View Post

cheers,

severus
I forgot about the Pheonix Audio here's an excerpt about the two main designers at that company: "At the forefront of circuit design is David Rees and Shaun Leveque. David is an ex-Neve design engineer with an impressive array of designs to his credit. Probably David's most famous design is the Neve 2254 Limiter/compressor."

it sells for $3,650 at DSP Doctors.

This is a Neve evolution-type design. (Like Great River and Aurora it's modernized and building on those blocks, so it's NOT a Neve clone...it's own thing...but trying to grow from the roots of what 80's series Neves were: 1066, 1073, etc.), it offers a ton of really thoughtful features. (Great HPF...a -15dB PAD which is nuanced and a really good idea for tracking vocals with any kind of mic.) And it's transformerless input setting which is designed to make things break up more like a Valve than a Class A Pre.

This is actually on about equal footing with the Seventh Circle...but it's about $150 over your budget. Still...it might be the choice for it's simple additional features which make the channels a lot more flexible.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey guys

I'm planning on purchasing some pre's this weekend and was thinking of getting back into the 500 series, but before I do that I'm considering just going with a nice 8 channel preamp instead. Any suggestions? I want something that can get colorful. Mostly recording rock and blues.

I was checking out some demo's of the Phoenix Audio DRS-8 and was quite impressed. Is there anything else I should be looking at? I hear the DAV is nice as well. Should I avoid the Focusrite ISA 828? Is the True Systems Precision 8 too clean for what I'm looking for?

I'm not looking for any DIY kits. Just wanna buy and plug in!

Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks.

Matt
I would not suggest a True Systems P8 for what you are wanting to record. Its a well built unit useful for location/Foley and some acoustic recording, but for rock and blues it falls on its face imo. It has zero mojo or depth in sound for those genres.

An option to consider that I haven't seen mentioned yet would be a stack of used Rupert Neve Portico units. You can find them used for around 900 for 2 channels. Tonality wise both portico and drs units have mojo but are virtually on polar opposites of the tone spectrum. The porticos are somewhat compressed and forward and have a "white" sound a friend of mine has described as a "glory tone" which I think describes it perfectly.

Sent from my VS980 4G
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search