The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Blue Robbie - Good option with my other pres? Single-Channel Preamps
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

Blue Robbie - Good option with my other pres?

I currently own a UA Solo610, Focusrite ISA One and Presonus Eureka and am wondering how the Blue Robbie sounds in comparison?

Would it sound quite different to my other pres or would it sound similar but better or worse?
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Maniac

The Robbie is a tube preamp but it's a rather clean one. When pushed you can get a bit of grit, but honestly it's quite clinical (proof that tubes don't always mean "colorful"). It most closely compares to your ISA One. So if you're expecting a characterful preamp this ain't it (you've got your Solo 610 for that, and it does a GREAT job at it also!).

A great preamp though with plenty of gain (your dynamics and ribbons will benefit, if you have any).

I'd recommend it as good vocal preamp, or for acoustic guitars, but really you can put it on just about anything...kind of an all-rounder.

My $0.02.

- Gizz
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for the reply.

I find my ISA One and Eureka both have plenty of gain for ribbon and dynamic mics. The Eureka is also cleaner than my ISA One so maybe the Robbie compares more to this pre?

Ideally I would need two Robbies as I am looking for a stereo pair of clean pres for recording acoustic instruments. This would be totally out of my budget at the moment and may also be impractical due to the Robbies size, shape and buttons on the back!?
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Have you thought about the DAV BG1 if stereo is your requirement?

Two channels of nice clean, but ever so slightly coloured pre's.

Failing that, i would get the Daking Mic pre one over the Blue Robbie. Absolute top quality pre.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Hi,

Yes I have considered the DAV but would want the BG1u which is over my current budget.

My budget is not high end but the Blue Robbie is more high end and I have the option of picking one up very cheap ( half the price of a BG1u ).
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Addict

I wouldn't say that the Robbie is uncolored.
I hasve 610, 1272, a 428, a Rooster and some raindirk in my rack and the Robbies are not as transparent as the Raindirk for instance but less attitude than the Rooster.
On room tracking you can really tell their nature.
Low end is fantastic but not hyped, top end is rich but not hyped either.
The harmonics are very well managed and it feels natural and transparent but it is not really.
All being said, I love mines.
If you want more attitude, try maybe the summit range. And for extreme attitude, then the Rooster from thermionic.
Happy shopping

Oli
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzmo0815 View Post
The Robbie is a tube preamp but it's a rather clean one. When pushed you can get a bit of grit, but honestly it's quite clinical (proof that tubes don't always mean "colorful"). It most closely compares to your ISA One. So if you're expecting a characterful preamp this ain't it (you've got your Solo 610 for that, and it does a GREAT job at it also!).

A great preamp though with plenty of gain (your dynamics and ribbons will benefit, if you have any).

I'd recommend it as good vocal preamp, or for acoustic guitars, but really you can put it on just about anything...kind of an all-rounder.

My $0.02.

- Gizz
I agree, I think essentially "a surprisingly transparent tube pre" sums the Robbie up.

Interesting - I haven't found the Robbie to have plenty of gain. Nowhere near as much as my DAV. I've hardly used the Robbie, so I might go check that now...
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for the replies.

Interestingly the DAV's EIN is -122dB vs the Robbies -129db (at same measurements) so I would expect the Robbie to have less noise.

The DAV does seem to be excellent value for two channels compared to the Robbies one channel. I kind of wished I picked up a DAV BG1u that was on here last week for £400!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search